Author Topic: Is Morek dying?  (Read 11997 times)

Zakilevo

Is Morek dying?
« Topic Start: August 16, 2014, 06:44:45 AM »
Morek seems to be bleeding nobles. They don't even have enough nobles to fill all their regions. They have 35 regions but they only have 23 nobles. What is going on?

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Re: Is Morek dying?
« Reply #1: August 16, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »
Hasn't it always been this way?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 16, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
More regions than nobles is not a new thing, but I think twice as many regions as nobles is.

So much for increasing density by shrinking available land.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #3: August 16, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »
More regions than nobles is not a new thing, but I think twice as many regions as nobles is.

So much for increasing density by shrinking available land.

That's not a very meaningful comment. Morek was least affect by the monsters of all the Dwilight realms.

So...have many nobles/players quit recently for some reason? Has it been this way for a while? I was just on the island a few months ago, don't recall this (although I wasn't looking for it)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 16, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »
Based on my brief experience in Morek I'm not surprised - it's a mostly dead realm with its defining feature being an inactive religion which nonetheless acts to block any kind of change in Morek. The whole realm is really overdue for some sort of collapse back to a core area, freeing up space for other realms to spring up.

Dragonsbane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 16, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
My experience there was similar, it's going to collapse in on itself soon, which I can only see as good, because it will allow for more active, if smaller realms to pop up.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 16, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
Vibrant new realms can only spring up if there are people in the area ready to take advantage of—or even cause—Morek's collapse. And it can't just be any old power-hungry nobles, if you want the new realms to be viable: it needs to be people with a significant following, and with a solid idea for how to run a new realm.

Old, large, inactive realms don't just collapse into a bunch of new, small, active realms spontaneously. The most likely thing to happen is for other old, large realms to bite chunks off Morek and grow larger themselves.

If you want there to be a vibrant, new realm in Morek's lands, you need to come up with a solid idea for a new realm, put yourself in Morek's lands (which is to say, in Morek) and start making friends.

(And I would caution that "a solid idea for a new realm," contrary to what seems to be popular belief, doesn't need to be something amazing, new, and cool. It's actually better for your long-term viability if it's something relatively conventional. Too many people try to do something nobody's ever done before, and just end up being kind of weird. And this goes double on Dwilight, where you have to stay within SMA.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 16, 2014, 04:27:23 PM »
If you want there to be a vibrant, new realm in Morek's lands, you need to come up with a solid idea for a new realm, put yourself in Morek's lands (which is to say, in Morek) and start making friends.

I've heard Barca and Asylon are desperately looking for a place to call home.  8)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 16, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
I've heard Barca and Asylon are desperately looking for a place to call home.  8)

That sounds like a solid idea if ever I heard one :)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 16, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »
Morek always seem to play the most safe/bland path, which never really gets anyone invested in the realm. I've not seen any other realm in the game with such a disparity between 'characters' and 'active characters'. Morek keeps locking itself away with land/militia, leaving them nothing to do.

The only characters I know to have joined were going to bank some gold, train an infiltrator, or were desperate for a lordship for some RP reason. Then they typically leave. There are 40 characters north of the Divides...150+ southwards. Morek has become fly-over country, where everyone assumes the locals are overly friendly with sheep.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 16, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »
This was why I was so against the monsters occupying the western islands. Our realms were more compact and very heavily populated compared to Morek, which was only ever going to be unpopulated because they did nothing whatsoever. That whole northeastern area was just empty space when it came to interaction with the rest of the island. Meanwhile Asylon, Niselur, and Barca were all finally forming a power block that is providing meaningful resistance to the traditional Sanguis Astroism bloc of theocracies. But the whole monster ordeal came in, trying to fix a problem that wasn't there for that side of the island. So here we are, half a year later. Many people from the west have quit, despite everything Morek still fell apart from lack of nobles, showing that the anticipated increase in noble density did nothing for that part of the island.

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: August 16, 2014, 10:49:34 PM »
Actually the southern part of the island is more condensed than ever. People are keep fighting and it is pretty active. Pretty interesting to see Luria vs pretty much everyone.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 17, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
Our realms were more compact and very heavily populated compared to Morek, which was only ever going to be unpopulated because they did nothing whatsoever.

So why not take your people there, kick out the fuddy-duddies, and make it a thriving, vibrant area?
Timothy Collett

Graeth

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 17, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »
So why not take your people there, kick out the fuddy-duddies, and make it a thriving, vibrant area?

It wasn't for lack of effort.  Asylon tried, Barca tried.  Even with many of the eastern realms being nothing more than places for people to farm gold and fame for their families, they are still difficult for more active realms to contend against, seeing that most of them had their regions wiped.
Geg Family: Elshon (Bel)

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #14: August 17, 2014, 12:21:05 AM »

well, cuz it sounds like they're having a fun time in the south with the war. why travel half a continent so you can have a new new realm  half a continent away from anything?

needs new blood to go populate the area and break it up into smaller realms, IMO. Or a good influx of monsters