Author Topic: Cliques - a problem? and how to deal with them?  (Read 37484 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Cliques - a problem? and how to deal with them?
« Reply #120: September 09, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
I have yet to see such a hard core clique in Battlemaster though I do not doubt others may have encountered something like it. The fact still remains, however, that BattleMaster is a game of popularity and gives player the tools to make that popularity count. If a player can not find a way for his character to gain the support of enough other characters to crack or displace the clique, then I am guessing that most players in that realm like things as they are and your character should probably move on.

Relating to new players, I still think that this is a matter of education. Make sure they know what options they have and that it is OK to just leave and find a realm that fits better.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121: September 09, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
I have yet to see such a hard core clique in Battlemaster though I do not doubt others may have encountered something like it.
The few that I have seen ended up being multi-accounting rings. The vast majority of realms these days will let damn near anyone join their councils, so long as the character involved is willing to work with the realm. i.e. as long as the character isn't a known troublemaker. And some realms will even embrace those.

The fact still remains, however, that BattleMaster is a game of popularity and gives player the tools to make that popularity count. If a player can not find a way for his character to gain the support of enough other characters to crack or displace the clique, then I am guessing that most players in that realm like things as they are and your character should probably move on.
This is a very important point. With the fact that most elections and campaigns are based on completely fictitious platforms, and there is no way to really do your research on the issues, everything comes down to popularity. Its like high school all over again...

It is very possible that a character rejected from one realm may find a perfect fit in another. The classic case of this was Vatticus Vashmere on AT. He quickly got run out of several realms, completely reviled and hated, with several bans on his head. He made his way to Darka, and immediately found a home. He didn't really "fit in", but everyone found a way to make it work. He almost immediately became a central figure. He just had to find the right place for that particular character to fit.

Relating to new players, I still think that this is a matter of education. Make sure they know what options they have and that it is OK to just leave and find a realm that fits better.
This is another great point. Fits right in with that proposal about new character mobility, and and allowing them to rapidly switch realms.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #122: September 10, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »

Ask questions like:
(scale of 1-5)
- I know why my realm is at war right now
- I feel the ruler/council considers opinions I give when making decisions
- I have had an opportunity to gain a new position (lord, vice marshal, run for council) this month
- I feel the realm has an exclusionary clique

Read these to look for trouble spots. You can't just let a computer script find those - you'll need to look it over and see what stands out, and then do the next step.

I actually think this survey would make a great research project.  It doesn't have to be forced, and developers and players don't need to make any decision about it.  But I think it would be great as a descriptor of our gaming community.  We could ask how long someone has been playing the game, and then ask those 4 questions, and see if the time one has been playing in the realm correlates to having a greater sense of belonging to the player community. 

We can think of more indicators of "belongingness" or "excludedness" (there are probably other words for these that are actually real words, but I'm brainstorming here), and then make a scale to measure it. 

Anyone up to it?

Macro

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #123: September 11, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
Moderator note: These forums are not the place for your Youtube comment-level posts. If you can't discuss things while at least pretending to be a civilised human being, then don't post at all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:06:03 AM by Velax »
scotty/
La Turn family in game

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #124: September 11, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »
You have not sent the realm a single letter, if D'Hara is where you refer to.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:06:34 AM by Velax »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #125: September 11, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
I like that you use CAPS LOCK so often, it REALLY makes your POST more FUN to read.

ArthurDarkhallen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #126: September 12, 2014, 05:55:12 AM »
Well you can hardly expect the other players to be concerned about you and ask about you every step of the way. You think they will ask you how your dinner was?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:07:10 AM by Velax »

ArthurDarkhallen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127: September 12, 2014, 05:55:43 AM »
And don't be such a sob.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:08:37 AM by Velax »

ArthurDarkhallen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #128: September 12, 2014, 05:56:51 AM »
Not a S.O.B but a sob.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #129: September 12, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »
Don't worry, Bob - ad hominem attacks are just an age-old method for avoiding the issue.

Welcome to Battlemaster. Yes, you'll find it's just like real life. The folks "in-charge" spend most of their energy staying in-charge.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:45:41 AM by Miskel Hemmings »

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #130: September 12, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
Well you can hardly expect the other players to be concerned about you and ask about you every step of the way. You think they will ask you how your dinner was?

LMAO - this from the guy who asked for gold, and 12 hours later says:

"I send a request, nobody cares. Well !@#$ you too.

Arthur II Darkhallen "

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #131: September 12, 2014, 11:21:35 AM »
The few that I have seen ended up being multi-accounting rings. The vast majority of realms these days will let damn near anyone join their councils, so long as the character involved is willing to work with the realm. i.e. as long as the character isn't a known troublemaker. And some realms will even embrace those.
Troublemaker is a matter of perspective. Of course not everyone like troublemaker, but some who do. They are good cause for war, justify war. This game is called Battlemaster for a reason. I even welcome any newbie who state their intention to become region lord, joining a council and many more.

Last time it took me I think quite sometime to become region lord. It took me even longer to become Duke and Ruler. Now the position vacancies are quite numerous, if you know which realm has the vacancy. Maybe we should have some Indicator Bar to show which realm has high turnover of lords?

As I mention in my previous post, welcome back Mentor class and it will help the older players contribute back to the game by teaching the younger players. By the way, I am interested to pick up on the survey: Which realm/island you joined that make you experience this?

As far as I know, I often welcome the new players, try to guide and train them with knowledge I have and some roleplaying.

I actually think this survey would make a great research project.  It doesn't have to be forced, and developers and players don't need to make any decision about it.  But I think it would be great as a descriptor of our gaming community.  We could ask how long someone has been playing the game, and then ask those 4 questions, and see if the time one has been playing in the realm correlates to having a greater sense of belonging to the player community. 

We can think of more indicators of "belongingness" or "excludedness" (there are probably other words for these that are actually real words, but I'm brainstorming here), and then make a scale to measure it. 

Anyone up to it?
I could contribute some posts to help on this project. I try to make the new players/characters feel "belonged" to the realm. Should they need help or have any question, I try to help them out. Realm should be their family and most trusted place in the game, where they are not afraid to voice out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:09:22 AM by Velax »
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

ArthurDarkhallen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132: September 12, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »
LMAO - this from the guy who asked for gold, and 12 hours later says:

"I send a request, nobody cares. Well !@#$ you too.

Arthur II Darkhallen "
haha well im pretty sure it gave the game some life... I mean what's better than that
And for the record my character asked for an estate and some gold 3 times. I counted.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #133: September 12, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »
haha well im pretty sure it gave the game some life... I mean what's better than that
And for the record my character asked for an estate and some gold 3 times. I counted.

it didn't, actually. we just thought you were a jerk and were glad when you left for a different realm.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #134: September 12, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
it didn't, actually. we just thought you were a jerk and were glad when you left for a different realm.

It is Sandalak he would fit right in. Double points if he had a ego to go with it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.