Author Topic: Realm Wide Duel announcements  (Read 4133 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Realm Wide Duel announcements
« Topic Start: December 06, 2015, 06:23:29 AM »
Title: Realm Wide Duel Announcements

Summary: After a duel resolves, the realms of both participants get an announcement of who fought, what type of duel it was, where the duel took place and who won.

Benefits: Duels are disappointingly rare in Battlemaster. By letting the realm know when a duel has happened it encourages people roleplay and interact more and might make the possibility of fighting a duel to gain some notoriety more appealing.

Possible Downsides or Exploits: If people started dueling constantly it might get annoying but I find that highly unlikely.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Realm Wide Duel announcements
« Reply #1: December 06, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
I tend to like this feature.

Additions/questions:
- I'm not really sure how duels are reported now. But if realm-wide messages are too big of a think (regarding spam), maybe make it vicinity wide only?
- I was thinking to propose to implement the same for training matches, but that would maybe beat the purpose of the training match, which would probably happen behind closed doors.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 06, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
Duels are reported to the region. Training matches are intentionally not reported to anyone other than participants.

I wouldn't mind realm-wide for duels. Chances are everyone knows it's going to happen anyway. An extra message won't be spam.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 07, 2015, 02:20:46 AM »
I should push for duels to be much more legally allowed in a realm next time I am able to. They really are too rare and usually have a bit too much paperwork involved.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 09, 2015, 05:54:22 AM »
I should push for duels to be much more legally allowed in a realm next time I am able to. They really are too rare and usually have a bit too much paperwork involved.

What would be best is no duels to the death but other duels legal and even encouraged as a way to settle disputes would get a lot more people fighting. The number one deterrent against duels is death and all to often someone asks for a duel to surrender and then the other person counters with a duel to the death and since the first person doesn't want their character to die over something so trivial they let the whole thing go. If they could point to the law and say "we can't fight to the death it's the law, now stop making excuses and fight me" we'd probably see more action. Judges could establish this in the judge bulletin to make it clear to the realm. Of course first player density will have to improve so there's enough people bumping into each other.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: December 09, 2015, 06:26:04 AM »
Yeah. I actually agree. Training match is... just for training. If someone insults you, you should just duel the bastard. I think removing RP restriction on duels can really make people enjoy the feature more.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 10, 2015, 01:22:58 AM »
I always pushed for legal dueling in my realms. I hated the "no dueling" laws.

A "no death duels" law and advocating surrender duels might be a good compromise.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 13, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »
I always pushed for legal dueling in my realms. I hated the "no dueling" laws.

A "no death duels" law and advocating surrender duels might be a good compromise.

I could almost see duels to surrender as an inalienable right.

Noone you know

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 24, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
Yeah. I actually agree. Training match is... just for training. If someone insults you, you should just duel the bastard. I think removing RP restriction on duels can really make people enjoy the feature more.

I like this, as well. There is far too much casual insulting with no consequences, in my opinion. Feels like you're in a chatroom at times.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 24, 2016, 03:10:22 PM »
I like this, as well. There is far too much casual insulting with no consequences, in my opinion. Feels like you're in a chatroom at times.

Thing you do often see however is some chars with high SF skill becoming '!@#$%^&s' and insult people only to get duels going. Then again, the Judge could go against this also of course. And usually i'm pro duelling also in my realms, but that's currently a bit mean from my side.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 24, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Or maybe they're just pretending they have high skills.

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: January 24, 2016, 08:29:21 PM »
Or maybe they're just pretending they have high skills.

You'd be surprised how well this works... People are so afraid of losing their characters, they will back away from being called with crazy insults.