Author Topic: East Continent Concerns About Xavax and Perdan  (Read 65715 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I know, I know, too much danger...
Indeed. There's a big difference between throwaway characters who's value to a player and the game is exactly zero so they constantly want to duel everyone to boost their ego and characters with a lot of time and effort invested in them who actually mean something and whose lives are actually valuable.
Can you imagine Edward III dueling some random French knight because the latter got butthurt over a lost battle? Yeah, because that's stupid even to imagine.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Indeed. There's a big difference between throwaway characters who's value to a player and the game is exactly zero so they constantly want to duel everyone to boost their ego and characters with a lot of time and effort invested in them who actually mean something and whose lives are actually valuable.
Can you imagine Edward III dueling some random French knight because the latter got butthurt over a lost battle? Yeah, because that's stupid even to imagine.

That's a serious claim to make without proof.

Edward III wouldn't likely duel due to it being frowned upon by the HRC, possibly having a champion that would take up the challenge for him, and the fact that duels were being principally used as trial by combat (although Pas d'armes makes silly your claim about the seriousness of duels).

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
That's a serious claim to make without proof.
It's really self-evident if a player is willing to issue duel challenges to numerous people who never even talked to him and without even making a case why he feels insulted.
Edward III wouldn't likely duel due to it being frowned upon by the HRC, possibly having a champion that would take up the challenge for him,
My point is that a french knight wouldn't even ever have an idea of challenging an English monarch after a military defeat. That's a silly situation to imagine.
and the fact that duels were being principally used as trial by combat
Irrelevant in this case.
(although Pas d'armes makes silly your claim about the seriousness of duels).
What do you even mean by that?

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It's really self-evident if a player is willing to issue duel challenges to numerous people who never even talked to him and without even making a case why he feels insulted.
Or I've been playing the game close to 10 years and a character dying isn't the most important thing to me. Godric's whole story hinges on living in the shadow of his father and trying to pursue glory. A death in battle means he was weak, a death in individual combat is a glorious end to his Saga. As for why he's insulted, you don't need to understand, the character does. Quit trying to tell me how to play the game.

My point is that a french knight wouldn't even ever have an idea of challenging an English monarch after a military defeat. That's a silly situation to imagine.
This is more akin to the Duke of Surrey challenging the Duke of Anjou. He is a member of the king's (Xerarch) court challenging the opposing kingdom's general (also a member of the king's court). What's wrong with that?
Irrelevant in this case

Not irrelevant, your case made it situationally absurd. In the game there are no true restrictions on when you should duel. Further, in Greater Xavax it is literally enshrined the right to duel over anything. Because i wrote the laws.
.What do you even mean by that?

Use Google, darling.

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Or I've been playing the game close to 10 years and a character dying isn't the most important thing to me.
Case in point.
In the game there are no true restrictions on when you should duel.
Exactly. You're not breaking any rules and I'm not trying to tell you what to do.
Use Google, darling.
Why did you call me darling?
Anyway, I know what pas d'armes is. I just don't understand why he kept coming up with irrelevant examples.

My initial post was meant more as a tongue-in-cheek observation. It was not a personal attack so please don't go on the defensive. I simply said every realm seems to have a player who doesn't care about or is tired of his character and constantly goads other players to duel him without any reason. That's all, no drama was implied.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Because your example was equally irrelevant. BM is medievally influenced, not a medieval simulation, and even if it were, silly reasons for dueling (like the Pas d'armes) and people who were professional duelists (berserkers using Holmgang to enrich themselves) existed in history during the middle ages. I'm just laughing at your apparent need to justify turning down a duel. Also there's a gulf of difference between "throwaway characters who's value to a player and the game is exactly zero" and not caring if a character dies if it's a good end to that character's story. I can vouch that Torxanib Godric Tórrarin ka Habb, Arbiter of Greater Xavax has a far greater value to the players in Xavax than zero. :P

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Butt Hurt, Butt Hurt, Butt Hurt

::) ::) ;D ::) ::)
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Butt Hurt, Butt Hurt, Butt Hurt

::) ::) ;D ::) ::)

I see you've misspelled "Xavax"  ;D
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: East Continent Concerns About Xavax and Perdan
« Reply #173: November 15, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
So a concern about Perdan...What is going on there? First a King stepped down, and then a silent one (Kyra? Awesome) was silently elected only to eventually loose that crown, then Caspian vanished suddenly, and now a teenage immigrant from Oligarch is King.

Is ruling Perdan not fun or something?

Zakilevo

« Reply #174: November 15, 2016, 08:46:57 PM »
So a concern about Perdan...What is going on there? First a King stepped down, and then a silent one (Kyra? Awesome) was silently elected only to eventually loose that crown, then Caspian vanished suddenly, and now a teenage immigrant from Oligarch is King.

Ruling a silent realm is never fun. But then again Caspian was an awful ruler.

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #175: November 15, 2016, 09:22:43 PM »
And now there seems to be a bug. "The realm of Perdan has elected Qu Ar'dan Lapallanch as its new King." But he wasn't instated as King. I went to sent him a message and couldn't find his name among the rulers mailing list.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Zakilevo

« Reply #176: November 15, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »
And now there seems to be a bug. "The realm of Perdan has elected Qu Ar'dan Lapallanch as its new King." But he wasn't instated as King. I went to sent him a message and couldn't find his name among the rulers mailing list.

Indeed. A fatal one too. Very unfortunate. Perdan could have enjoyed another Lapallanchian king!

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: November 15, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
Indeed. A fatal one too. Very unfortunate. Perdan could have enjoyed another Lapallanchian king!

Wait does this mean you won't get elected in the next round?

*Silently starts to pray to Ora  ;D
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #178: November 24, 2016, 06:19:51 PM »
So a concern about Perdan...What is going on there? First  King Odoaker(?) stepped down, and then a silent one (Kyra? Awesome) was silently elected only to eventually loose that crown, then Caspian vanished suddenly, and now a teenage immigrant from Oligarch is King.

And now Kellan Dodger strikes out. The count is up to 5.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #179: November 24, 2016, 06:34:17 PM »

And now Kellan Dodger strikes out. The count is up to 5.

so they protested him out during Thanksgiving and after he had lost internet. Fun stuff.