Author Topic: SA vs ES  (Read 7879 times)

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: SA vs ES
« Reply #15: May 31, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
And he has me as Judge supporting him :3

Yeah without that support, it prob wouldn't work that well. I'm seriously considering having Luria Borreal push north anyway, despite the 26k horde which cam from LN into our lands. It would resize Luria Borreal quite a bit prob, losing Aveston in the process. It's kinda rediculous though that you have to accept losses like that simply if you want to do something else than fighting monsters.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 31, 2016, 08:38:40 AM »
I think it's one of the things plaguing Swordfell as well. They've lost a handful of southern lands to rogues and can't sustain the Westfold campaign.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 01, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
I quite like it, actually... a clever schemer could use these hordes to their advantage.

*eyes shifting suspiciously*

Seriously though, I don't really mind the hordes, even if they are becomeing bigger and bigger. I don't care what I'm fighting, as long as I can fight. It's just a matter of finding a way to deal with them most advantageously. For instance, it's not an accident that LN never arrived, Cador delibrately delayed marching so the monsters would put LB on the backfoot by taking/destroying some lands, so the noble heroes from LN could swoop in at the last minute to save the day. Why do you think we have an eagle on our banner in the first place ;) The horde attacking Maf was a blessing in disguise, as Cador was running short on excuses to explain why his army was still not in LB.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 01, 2016, 12:39:37 AM »
Problem with that is, while you attack others, those hordes make claim to your lands. You dont send armies to war abroad, while your home is burning.

-Jaune

You do not necessarily have to send your entire force to attack, something as simple as a raid enough to make things interesting. 

Things that cause upsets and drama, that will make the more island interesting. Right now, no one will care... they have their own issues to take care of. Swordfell has a plan to stay in the war, it is something that is quite obvious and not too hard to accomplish.

You can be hostile and still maintain your land.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 01, 2016, 01:04:14 AM »

You do not necessarily have to send your entire force to attack, something as simple as a raid enough to make things interesting. 

Things that cause upsets and drama, that will make the more island interesting. Right now, no one will care... they have their own issues to take care of. Swordfell has a plan to stay in the war, it is something that is quite obvious and not too hard to accomplish.

You can be hostile and still maintain your land.
So much this! I really wish more realms would pick smaller conflicts instead of the usual wars of annihilation or submission.

But I can't recall a single armed conflict in BM where it was just part of a realm involved and not all of it. The different realm armies might fight in different places, but they are all fighting. Part of the reason I've always wished we could have more a more duchy-centric game is that I think (or hope, at least) that it would encourage Dukes to be a little more ambitious. Most Dukes are just glorified caretakers, and only a few try to wield their power to further their own ambitions. And often those who do are put down for the greater good of the realm.

Duchy politics and global mortality for characters would give this game a lift in the RP department. These days it's 90% strategy and 10% roleplaying, which is a damn shame.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 01, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »
So much this! I really wish more realms would pick smaller conflicts instead of the usual wars of annihilation or submission.

But I can't recall a single armed conflict in BM where it was just part of a realm involved and not all of it. The different realm armies might fight in different places, but they are all fighting. Part of the reason I've always wished we could have more a more duchy-centric game is that I think (or hope, at least) that it would encourage Dukes to be a little more ambitious. Most Dukes are just glorified caretakers, and only a few try to wield their power to further their own ambitions. And often those who do are put down for the greater good of the realm.

Duchy politics and global mortality for characters would give this game a lift in the RP department. These days it's 90% strategy and 10% roleplaying, which is a damn shame.

Talerium's raids in Minas Leon no longer count? Usually only half the realm would join, while the rest stayed at home. Additionally I think Darka used to have quite a big homeguard also that never went to war, but not certain. But you're right that it's never a single Duke sending out his men or something and in many cases that wouldn't work because Lords are more loyal to the realm than to the Duke in most cases. It's quite a general attitude issue I'm afraid.

I would love for more duchy politics and mortality and have advocated for both in the past as well.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 02, 2016, 12:49:25 AM »
the natural forces of the game will take care of things moreso than any forum fretting. its going to be a fact of life on dwilight that some realms fight monsters mainly and others human realms, but i think that will be an interesting dynamic.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 02, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
the natural forces of the game will take care of things moreso than any forum fretting. its going to be a fact of life on dwilight that some realms fight monsters mainly and others human realms, but i think that will be an interesting dynamic.

But at this point that will not happen untill some nations get destroyed. Right now there are too many regions for chars and thus we get an increased monster spawning and everyone is now getting hit with the code changes. So you'll see most people trying to hold on to their lands, only fighting monsters. So almost all realms will be fighting monsters rather than neighbours.

Which brings with it a new strategy, burn down your enemies before the monsters burn you down. Fortunately that can be perfectly linked with the teachings of the Bloodflow in ESA at least (not sure if SA uses those teachings also), which reminds me that we actually have to update the wiki on that :p

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 02, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »
but if you burn down your neighbor, you're just exposing yourself to more risk as their monster problem becomes yours. a lot of smart planning is going to be required in player vs player wars to keep the balance.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: June 02, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
but if you burn down your neighbor, you're just exposing yourself to more risk as their monster problem becomes yours. a lot of smart planning is going to be required in player vs player wars to keep the balance.

This is assuming that the monsters travel in your direction... it is by pure chance that they travel to you and both another. Which they will do anyway if your targeted neighbor cannot fend it off.

The way of the game sure does have a funny way of working out, no? Sometimes we have long boring nothingness and other times... we have cooperation and mutual agreement on how to make the game fun.

I wonder which I'd rather help steer us in?  ;)
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 02, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
I dont know who you are, are you in a position to steer anything?

Victor C

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 02, 2016, 11:53:15 PM »
I dont know who you are, are you in a position to steer anything?

My identity is best left known to a few ^^ (Mwahaha)

Am I in a position to make change? Yes. Are you? Yes.
The thing is that ANYONE can make change happen, letting yourself be discouraged to do anything because you're not "in a position to make change" always end in your defeat...

Anyone can sway an opinion or incite rebellion, how do I know this? I'VE DONE IT. Even the head of SA can be convinced to do something for the better of the game (or someone's opinion of a better game that is). Doubting the ability to cause change will leave yourself in a stagnant state, which said state will become obsolete as time goes on...

This conversation has already been steered in a whole different direction just by the use of words. I do not know how to answer your question other than that.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 03, 2016, 12:09:42 AM »
regardless of whether that means anything  i can change things, so stay tuned