Author Topic: Rejected: Royal Edict / Decree  (Read 19916 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Edict / Decree
« Reply #45: January 02, 2017, 11:50:44 PM »
Ye Olde Bulletin is possibly older than some players. Certainly once you get your kids to play. ;)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #46: January 03, 2017, 04:41:57 PM »
lol, but no lemme clarify real quick. I meant having a Ruler's Standing Decree that all players in a realm see whenever they quick play or look at messages, much like the Marshal's standing orders. Thoughts?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Zakilevo

« Reply #47: January 03, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »
Don't think this is really needed to be honest. We survived just find even when there were 200 characters in one realm.

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 03, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
There was such thing as 200 players per realm?! :O

I'm late for battlemaster I guess. :(
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: January 10, 2017, 05:44:53 PM »
Too many "standing" letters also means more needless scrolling for people in a hurry to quickly  review stuff, especially on their cells. I don't really think adding more of them would be a good thing.

Rulers bulletins aren't frequently consulted, but they aren't frequently updated either. People may not consult them on  their own, and probably not more than once, but nothing stops you from telling people to check it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
GundamMerc
« Reply #50: January 10, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Too many "standing" letters also means more needless scrolling for people in a hurry to quickly  review stuff, especially on their cells. I don't really think adding more of them would be a good thing.

Rulers bulletins aren't frequently consulted, but they aren't frequently updated either. People may not consult them on  their own, and probably not more than once, but nothing stops you from telling people to check it.

Lol, what? It would be about the same size as the current standing orders, so I really don't see where this would introduce needless scrolling when it's already needed to prevent that in places like GX where the sheer amount of messages means you're likely to miss the order to check the ruler bulletin. We should be making things better for realms that have lots of nobles because they are successful and we want that to continue. We shouldn't refuse to help these realms be a fun place just because the majority of realms are not that big. It would be like saying a city should not have a metro because the majority of towns do not.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: GundamMerc
« Reply #51: January 11, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
Lol, what? It would be about the same size as the current standing orders, so I really don't see where this would introduce needless scrolling when it's already needed to prevent that in places like GX where the sheer amount of messages means you're likely to miss the order to check the ruler bulletin. We should be making things better for realms that have lots of nobles because they are successful and we want that to continue. We shouldn't refuse to help these realms be a fun place just because the majority of realms are not that big. It would be like saying a city should not have a metro because the majority of towns do not.

Sure, if GX was the greatest and most active realm to have ever existed. But it's not. Realms like GX were pretty much the norm when I started playing, and many realms had hundreds of players.

I've been in GX, I've seen it. Especially being on the OOC group, there was a fair amount of chatter. But I have a had time understanding what the ruler would need to constantly stuff in everyone's face? Nothing stops you from making yourself marshal, if you really want to use that feature.

And frankly, people who miss the orders would just as much miss your standing order. You can't fix lazy. Orders already stick out, and you see them on quickplay, and you can filter for them. People who don't see orders are scrolling too fast. People who scroll too fast are just as likely to scroll past your standing orders.

Maybe you you could give an example of what exactly you'd put on there, you might convince me it's useful. But as it is, I just can't think of any good reason to bloat the volume of pinned content people are forced to view every single login.

I was mildly in favor of adding a new message type, provided something that didn't make the eyes bleed could be found, but I don't really like this solution at all. I feel we've got enough induced scrolling as is. And I feel that this feature would be mostly used to obnoxious ends.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: January 11, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
"Many realms had hundreds of players" is more than a bit of an exaggeration.

IIRC, there have only ever been 2 realms in the game that even came close to 200 characters, Perdan and Sirion.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #53: January 11, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »

IIRC, there have only ever been 2 realms in the game that even came close to 200 characters, Perdan and Sirion.

On EC yeah. Abington came pretty close. 183 characters in 2006.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: January 11, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »

I could have worded that better, I meant "over 100" more than "multiple hundreds". GX had, what, about 60? That's still a third of what some had, and half of what many had.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: January 11, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »
I could have worded that better, I meant "over 100" more than "multiple hundreds". GX had, what, about 60? That's still a third of what some had, and half of what many had.

Except you're overlooking something. There may only be 60 players, but you forget that the past realms had the two character rule, meaning you could have 100 characters in the realm, but have less overall players than GX had at the 60 player mark. So basically multiply the current number by 2/3 and add it to the current total to see about what it would look like when Battlemaster was at its peak. GX would easily be near or over the 100 character mark. Plus I believe you're overstating greatly how many realms were over 100 characters. That may have been the case for realms such as Sirion, Perdan, and Cagilan Empire, but there are realms besides those that I doubt had so many people.

Zakilevo

« Reply #56: January 11, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »
Except you're overlooking something. There may only be 60 players, but you forget that the past realms had the two character rule, meaning you could have 100 characters in the realm, but have less overall players than GX had at the 60 player mark. So basically multiply the current number by 2/3 and add it to the current total to see about what it would look like when Battlemaster was at its peak. GX would easily be near or over the 100 character mark. Plus I believe you're overstating greatly how many realms were over 100 characters. That may have been the case for realms such as Sirion, Perdan, and Cagilan Empire, but there are realms besides those that I doubt had so many people.

Abington had at least 90 players. They once had 183 characters. I doubt everyone had 2 characters there either so probably had at least 120~130 players.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
GundamMerc
« Reply #57: January 12, 2017, 01:39:06 AM »
Abington had at least 90 players. They once had 183 characters. I doubt everyone had 2 characters there either so probably had at least 120~130 players.

Abington is one realm out of how many? Just because it was memorable doesn't mean it was the norm.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: January 12, 2017, 03:09:45 AM »
Which is kind of beyond the point... Sure, some of them stemmed from doubles... but not everyone had doubles in every realm. Noble caps were lower then, too. Plus, not everyone who had doubles had a mute. And there are certainly examples of greater numbers.

I still haven't seen a compelling reason as to *why* pinned instructions from the ruler are necessary? I did play in GX for a few weeks. It reminded me of the old days, and I wasn't even in those super populous realms to begin with. There might be more individual players per realm than many of those days, but the activity levels, frankly, aren't dissimilar. Just like then, you mostly have a handful who monopolize most of the chatter anyways.

Pinned messages are tiresome when non pertinent. I have a really, really hard time seeing what the ruler could possibly say that is pertinent enough to stuff in everyone's face every single login.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: January 12, 2017, 03:11:04 AM »
Because let's not forget, GX isn't gonna be the only realm with any such new feature. And I would really suspect most would rather not have to constantly scroll through what is essentially a pinned equivalent of the never updated and rarely useful ruler bulletin.