Author Topic: Council positions and assasinations  (Read 7165 times)

AlexR

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Council positions and assasinations
« Topic Start: July 01, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »

I have asked this question before (several times) and the answer has always been
"A serious wound automatically removes a character from a council position (dukes/lords are immune)"

Has that changed once again in order to mess with the infiltrator class?
It is difficult to take out a council member as they are well guarded, so it takes me a while to collect data points -- but I just seriously wounded the king of Westmoor and he remains king anyway.  Can someone please clarify?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Council positions and assasinations
« Reply #1: July 01, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
For serious wounding by an infiltrator, Council positions are lost instantly, except the Ruler position in a Monarch, Theocracy, or Tyranny.

All positions can be lost if the character remains wounded for long enough, from any kind of wound.

We know that there is a certain amount of inconsistency in how wounding is treated.  We intend to clear it up, but due to the way the code in these situations works, it's not as simple as it sounds.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

AlexR

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 01, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »

Oooh, except some rulers.  Thank you for clarifying! :)

You may want to consider changing (shortening) the wounded period for position loss *if* you want it to occur.  I have seen someone lose their position due to wound timeout exactly once in my total 3 and a half years of playing BM.

Young characters recover in a day or two.  Older characters (in their sixties and older) take longer to recover - so several times I heard that they went as far as the first warning that they will be removed from the position if they don't return.  But then they always managed to recover before actually losing a position.

You should be able to check how often people *actually* lose their position due to a serious wound (again, assuming you want this to happen from time to time - maybe you don't).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 01, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Oooh, except some rulers.  Thank you for clarifying! :)

You may want to consider changing (shortening) the wounded period for position loss *if* you want it to occur.  I have seen someone lose their position due to wound timeout exactly once in my total 3 and a half years of playing BM.

For a very long time, it was nearly impossible for any wound to trigger the wound position timeout.  That changed last year with my implementation of the new wounding system.  I have now seen several characters affected by it.

That's not to say it will never be tweaked; like many aspects of the game, it bears paying attention to, and having its knobs turned if things aren't quite in balance.

We do want people to lose their positions from wounds, and it does happen—the question, of course, for both of those, is how often.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 01, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
What about imprisonment?

AlexR

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 01, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »

Imprisonment is the strangest of them all.

I think it works similarly to the assassinations (government positions are instantly lost, other posts are kept. Possibly with the same exception for rulers as given earlier for my question)

However, rogue imprisonment strips your noble of *all* positions.  At least on BT -- I have lost both the lordship and the marshal position instantly when captured by rogue.  I guess there are no rogue assassinations to compare this to.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 01, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »
For serious wounding by an infiltrator, Council positions are lost instantly, except the Ruler position in a Monarch, Theocracy, or Tyranny.

The realms that are monarchies are seriously overrepresented most of the time. People really love those monarchies :p
5 out of 8 on EC, 6 out of 8 on FEI, 7 out of 15 on Dwilight.

So this is the number of realms where the infiltrator can make them lose their position then: 2 out of 8 on EC, 1 out of 8 on FEI and 4 out of 15 on Dwilight.

Don't have characters on Beluaterra and Atamara so you tell me ;)
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 01, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »
So this is the number of realms where the infiltrator can make the ruler lose their position then: 2 out of 8 on EC, 1 out of 8 on FEI and 4 out of 15 on Dwilight.

ftfy...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 01, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
5 out of 8 realms on BT and 3 out of 12 on AT can have their rulers assassinated off the throne.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 01, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »
ftfy...

Yeah, the ruler obviously. Thank you.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 02, 2011, 02:55:02 AM »
5 out of 8 realms on BT
Looks like BT could use a healthy dose of good, old fashioned Tyranny.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 02, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »
Its even worse than it appears on paper; the three most powerful realms are all republics or democracies.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 02, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
For those who don't know, this dates back to ~2004, when Enweil took it upon itself to eradicate all Tyrannies on Beluaterra.

Then they started going after monarchies.  They parked a huge army next to Old Grehk's capital for several days before finally relenting (I don't remember the reason, if I ever knew it).
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 04, 2011, 05:31:15 AM »
For those who don't know, this dates back to ~2004, when Enweil took it upon itself to eradicate all Tyrannies on Beluaterra.

Then they started going after monarchies.  They parked a huge army next to Old Grehk's capital for several days before finally relenting (I don't remember the reason, if I ever knew it).

And I'm proud of Enweil for this. Not because I dislike tyrannies, but because they had the guts to bring on great wars for ideological reasons. And in my experience these tend to be fun.

Not enough wars are fought for ideology (or religion) imo.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 07, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
And I'm proud of Enweil for this. Not because I dislike tyrannies, but because they had the guts to bring on great wars for ideological reasons. And in my experience these tend to be fun.

Not enough wars are fought for ideology (or religion) imo.
You're right. It's one of the better reasons for a series of wars, IMHO. Pick a goal, and get it done. You don't like it? Then stop me. If you can.

Too many people just try to get along and have peaceful relations. Well, maybe the new estate revisions will help take care of some of that by re-enabling expansion possibilities.