Author Topic: Modifying TMP Training Reductions  (Read 84095 times)

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Modifying TMP Training Reductions
« Topic Start: July 05, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
So, I can understand the idea behind the new changes - makes it less harsh than the region control loss stuff.

However it's very damaging in two ways - the first is that training drops ALL the way down.   And pretty quickly.

The second is that it makes any militia deployed effectively useless after TMP ends.

Name    Men    Equipment Training CS    
Red Hand   15   65 / 55       12         138   

Yes, 12 training (which was better than the 10 my unit had).   And there is now effectively no way to increase the militia training.

Is there a way to make this NOT effect militia (since, TMP shouldn't affect them anyways - its not like THEY want war, they just defend their homes) or have it that once TMP is over, training slowly increases and returns to normal for all units?

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying TMP Training Reductions
« Reply #1: July 05, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »
I think the training losses should be capped at what ever the training level of the unit is when it's recruited.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 05, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
Problem with that comes to mixed units, ones where they have added units with different training levels.

Unless an additional value is added that averages the total "base training" of the units recruited and kept in storage for TMP calcs.   But that could take a bit of coding work.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 06, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »
I think the training losses should be capped at what ever the training level of the unit is when it's recruited.

This is not currently possible. The game does not track that information.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 06, 2011, 03:36:22 AM »
This is not currently possible. The game does not track that information.

Could something similar be added to the same database that tracks each individual unit though?   Actually, that seems like it would be a lot of work.

Could the units CURRENT training, have a modified (diminishing returns style?) effect?   Where Very High and High Training decreases more rapidly, but lower training (say under 50) slows down and takes a much greater and prolonged time?    With the idea being that once under 50% training, there's not a lot to lose, and once you hit like 35-40% . . .well, even the most fresh recruits can do that, so they can't really drop too much lower (and if they did, it wouldn't be too noticiable).

Most units I see - even low end ones usually have 40-50 training (I think most realms destroy ones that are really low) - so it's not unreasonable to put some lower end cap on it.   This also doesn't completely ruin Militia, and just effects the more well-trained higher end units that most nobles like to carry around.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 06, 2011, 03:36:47 AM »
I don't see it as that much of an issue, either.

Perhaps training bonuses could be slightly tweaked to be slighter better than it currently is?

Another idea would be giving lords the option to train their militia.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 07, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
Could the units CURRENT training, have a modified (diminishing returns style?) effect?   Where Very High and High Training decreases more rapidly, but lower training (say under 50) slows down and takes a much greater and prolonged time?    With the idea being that once under 50% training, there's not a lot to lose, and once you hit like 35-40% . . .well, even the most fresh recruits can do that, so they can't really drop too much lower (and if they did, it wouldn't be too noticiable).
I don't know what the current mechanic is (I've never bothered to look), but this sounds like a reasonable proposal. Knock down the elite status pretty quick without constant attention, but it's hard to lose much when you don't know much to begin with. :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 10, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
Honestly, I like TMP lowering the training of my men in D'Hara. Means they cost less for upkeep. Satisfies my current needs, and I'll just recruit more to compensate when a need for more arises.

Having lordly options to have training sessions for the militia would be interesting.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 11, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
Honestly, I like TMP lowering the training of my men in D'Hara. Means they cost less for upkeep. Satisfies my current needs, and I'll just recruit more to compensate when a need for more arises.

Having lordly options to have training sessions for the militia would be interesting.

What Indirik has supported would still allow you that, it would just keep training from getting into the single digits, which with a 40 man unit is pretty tough to bring back up.    I like the mechanic, just not the extreme lows it allows for.   Capping the drop off between 30-45 seems reasonable, since most lowly trained units start there.

And I agree, though given that they would eventually drop back down to low levels might make it a bit redundant.   

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 11, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
I didn't say I supported a minimum floor for training. Just a slowing as you get lower.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 12, 2011, 12:04:56 AM »
I didn't say I supported a minimum floor for training. Just a slowing as you get lower.

Thought I hadn't seen that anywhere too. Regardless, I don't mind either suggestions.

I'm just saying I don't mind my militia costing less and less every day.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 31, 2011, 06:48:53 AM »
Any changes on this in the future?

Dropped 20% on my training in 5 days and we're losing a fair bit of CS, and this is during a war!   Just takes time to build up between city sieges . . . ugh.   Nothing like hitting TMP on Dwilight.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 31, 2011, 08:03:18 AM »
Yeah. Fissoa is facing TMP as well. A year ago we barely stood up against monsters, now I'm longing for them to come back. I'm considering to expel some advies to get some spawns, as diplomatics are stuck, IC-wise. The only option for Fissoa to attack would be Luria Nova, and that would be kind of lame, right after our IG understanding. And with TMP recuding stats in our regions (?) sending out an expeditionary army is becoming less of an option, too. Feels like a spiral of doom.

Sigh.

Thinking of it, how SMA is TMP? I don't think ME peasants paid less taxes in peace-time, and that they have knowledge of this Keynes-like system is just absurd.

I'm not wanting to fight the system, though. So any hints for a new-born ruler char?

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 31, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »
I support a floor cap. It's a very simple solution with no obvious drawbacks.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #14: August 31, 2011, 09:23:29 AM »
I support a floor cap. It's a very simple solution with no obvious drawbacks.

The drawback is that the whole point of it is to make things so bad in the realm that you have to go to war. The purpose of it is to let the majority of the players in the game who don't get to play the "Council Channel" aspect have something to do, and to force the Councils to find a war for them somehow.

Advies culling all the spawn is an unforeseen consequence, so perhaps increasing monsters/undead as a an affect of TMP would help things out.