Author Topic: Dwilight Anthropology Project  (Read 40482 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Anthropology Project
« Reply #105: August 11, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
Fair enough. Ask your realm mates, and we'll do what we can about it. But don't forget we are talking about two kinds of people here:
Native Fissoans - Those that were /before/ you came. They could be red, and you could still be Caucasian, as you came from the Mimer Peninsula.
Fissoan Colonists - That would be the group you describe as white, it would be nice to have a loose description of it.

I personally made the Fissoan Natives thinking of a group of Madinean Natives that colonized Southern Forland and both adapted to the local environment and mixed with the Forland Natives.
Here they are: Roi-Poru and Imanaghan

Of course, this is all subject to the approval and eventual modification or discard from you players of Fissoa.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: August 11, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »
I don't want to be rude, or unthankful for your work, but the -Poru names sound kind of ... unfitting. I think I'd survive using Imanaghan though.
Honestly, Fissoa is quite ... British in some of it's ways.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: August 12, 2011, 07:33:08 AM »
Don't worry, I'm suggesting and checking if you like it or not. If not, we'll change it.

I think you might have not got it, but the Poru are the native inhabitants of Fissoa, from before the colonization. Like the Iroquois in North America. Poru actually comes from the Guarani (I think... it was a native South American language). Surely you don't want the native Indians to have a British name right? It would like placing Scots where the Apaches should be.

If you do, it's not a problem, will be done, it just sounds a little bit odd.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: August 12, 2011, 09:13:19 AM »
Don't worry, I'm suggesting and checking if you like it or not. If not, we'll change it.

I think you might have not got it, but the Poru are the native inhabitants of Fissoa, from before the colonization. Like the Iroquois in North America. Poru actually comes from the Guarani (I think... it was a native South American language). Surely you don't want the native Indians to have a British name right? It would like placing Scots where the Apaches should be.

If you do, it's not a problem, will be done, it just sounds a little bit odd.

Ah like that. My mistake. A simple name-change would do, in that case :)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: August 12, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
How about this?
General name for the 3 groups of natives - Peyak
Madina Natives - Michisiw
Fissoa Natives - Nakatew
Candiels Natives - Nîpîy

It's Cree language.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: August 12, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »
How about this?
General name for the 3 groups of natives - Peyak
Madina Natives - Michisiw
Fissoa Natives - Nakatew
Candiels Natives - Nîpîy

It's Cree language.

how about something we can actually pronounce and remember?
perhaps the Fissoan colonists invented a name for the indigenous people ...?

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: August 13, 2011, 12:41:14 AM »
My idea was for their names to be actually alien and strange, so it helps in the immersion, but that can work as well.

What do you suggest?

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: September 10, 2011, 06:52:08 AM »
Named the Madinean-based culture as "Seafarers" for now, until someone from their culture gets a better idea, though I kind of like the name.

On their native populations, they remain as I had originally named, since their possible names disapproval did not come with an alternative. If anyone has alternative names to propose, they would be quite welcome.

bearhammer

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: September 27, 2011, 03:58:03 AM »
I'm just going to throw in my two cents here, I read your original post JP, but not the entire thread yet, so forgive me if this has been addressed: Why is the region's climate referred to as Mediterranean? It's a reference that we understand, of course, but it's a climate archetype labeled by a region that doesn't exist in our characters' world and therefore describes nothing about the region to our characters: it's meaningless to them.

It's an easy fix as well: semi-arid, sub-tropical. This description also makes sense if we are to compare Dwilight to Australia. In fact, there are a few things Dwilight has in common with Australia: the same hemisphere, a desert in the center of the continent, and semi-arid and sub-tropical coastlines.
Rhino Tsoutsoulis, Knight of Shinnen, Luria Nova, Dwilight

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: September 27, 2011, 04:57:39 AM »
That might be a suggestion for the 'development' or 'feature request' threads, since it is defined in IG mechanics the region climates. Perhaps a dev could comment on that.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: September 27, 2011, 05:06:35 AM »
Mediterranean in Latin refers to the middle of earth so the term is still useful in describing climate even without the presence of an actual Mediterranean sea in the BM world
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

bearhammer

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: September 27, 2011, 05:44:43 AM »
Indeed vanKaya, but if the map is also an accurate geographical layout (latitude and longitude) then Dwilight is not really in the middle of the planet, it's more like Australia.

You are right though that it is acceptable if the languages are borrowed from real life (I'm still new here so I wasn't aware of that) and I suppose it doesn't have to be changed.
Rhino Tsoutsoulis, Knight of Shinnen, Luria Nova, Dwilight

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: September 27, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
It's an easy fix as well: semi-arid, sub-tropical. This description also makes sense if we are to compare Dwilight to Australia. In fact, there are a few things Dwilight has in common with Australia: the same hemisphere, a desert in the center of the continent, and semi-arid and sub-tropical coastlines.

How do you figure that Dwilight is in the same hemisphere as Australia?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #118: September 27, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »
Was wondering that myself.  Didn't think an official planet map was released.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: September 27, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »
Was wondering that myself.  Didn't think an official planet map was released.

Not really... there are those on the BM cups and mousepads but thats just more of a image than official planet map imo...?
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries