Author Topic: The Death of Jessica Gildre  (Read 2859 times)

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The Death of Jessica Gildre
« Topic Start: September 25, 2019, 01:08:56 AM »
An on going RP centered around a death duel and then the aftermath which contains plenty of politics. This first post will contain the RPs from right before the duel and then the duel itself.

(Edit: The three RPs at the very beginning of this story arc were missed during my initial posting, they have since been added.)
----

Quote from: Jessica Gildre
Jessica felt tears well to the brink of her eyelids as she read the letter to herself. His words cut her deeper than any blade ever had, and she felt sick to her stomach.

She breathed, and pushed the lump in her throat down into her stomach, and she felt red hot anger taking over. Slowly, teeth clenched, she closed her fist over the letter in her hand, crumpling it into oblivion. She threw it against the wall, and stalked off towards her study, leaving it discarded on the floor.

Entering, she slammed the wooden door behind her and stormed to her desk. She flung a book she had been reading across the room, and pulled a piece of parchment over to write on.

You bastard! You think you have any idea what Rania wanted? None of you half-believers have any idea! None of you have felt the blessed touch of the Veiled Goddess as I and Rania did! You run around, preaching your self righteousness, so oblivious to your own stupidity!

And you! Of all people I respected, to turn so ignorant! Locked away, whittling the minutes from the hours from the days! You have fallen so out of touch with Obeah, it disgusts me to think of!

Don't speak like you know me. You don't. You never have. Foolish prattling man, preaching your Templar ways but lacking the courage for real action. If I died in seclusion, YOU died at the end of the last Invasion!

I am sorry I have done things you can only dream of for the faith. I am sorry I have left you behind, a relic of the past.

What the hell do you know anyway.

Her jaw hurt, and she relaxed. With a deep breath, she calmed her shaking hands, folded the letter, and slid it into an envelop. On it, she wrote a name. She left the study, where Bryant was waiting apprehensively. She handed him the letter without looking at him, and closed herself back in the study.

Bryant looked down at the letter in his hand.

Vahanian.

Quote from: Vahanian Blint

Vahanian sat on a balcony overlooking Grehk, a steaming cup of tea sat next to him as he read through the day's reports and letters. More discussion within the Sacred Realm, he filed those away for later, he didn't have the patience right now to deal with the idiocy of the government.

He thumbed through the rest of the documents before his eye caught a seal he knew. His heart sank. House Gildre. Jessica.

Baldwin, Vahanian's oldest friend and captain, had known Vahanian longer than anyone else alive. The two of them had been friends for over 50 years. In that time, Baldwin had seen Vahanian lose his temper only twice, both times came after the death of someone he loved. To say Baldwin was scared of the look in Vahanian's eye wouldn't capture the level of fear Baldwin felt. Vahanian read the letter, and within the first line his jaw was clenched. Before he was halfway through Vahanian's face was painted in rage. Baldwin had no doubt that if whatever was in the letter had been conveyed in person, than whomever was conveying it would be dead, or wishing they were.

By the time Vahanian finished the letter he stood with a roar of anger and swatted the cup off the table shattering it against the railing, sending steaming tea spraying out into the air over Grehk. Vahanian's hands shook with anger, his breathing was labored and his eyes had the look of a man set on death.

He sat down and wrote out a reply in that meticulous hand of his.

What do you know? You cling to that half-prophetic vision of a failed prophecy as if it were significant to the world, to the faith, to Rania. You can claim all the holiness you like, the truth is you abandoned those you swore to protect, those you swore to defend, those you swore to serve, and rule. You abandoned them like a coward abandons a fight. You think you're the only one whose touched the Light of the Veiled Goddess? You think you're the only one whose felt her presence? You're as arrogant as you are mute, and as foolish as you are literate. You had better sight when you couldn't see!

I lack courage for real action?! I carved the Sacred Realm out of the earth with my own hands, I paved the way for your 'Realm' if it can even be considered that, to exist!

Vahanian took a deep breath, his hands were still shaking, and his vision still red, he needed to hit something.

I DID DIE. I lost everything. Everything that ever mattered to me. Until Rania. Until Stheno. Until Obeah. They brought me back to life, so don't you tell me I don't know the Veiled Goddess. Don't you tell me I don't know Rania. I know them better than you ever could. You claim I prattle on about the Templar Ways. You're right, I do. The Templar demand death to the enemies of the faith. So today. I demand your death. Let us end this charade once and for all. Prove you have the right to even consider yourself a member of the faith. Prove you've earned the right to live.

Fight me. Coward.

Vahanian handed the letter to Baldwin who read it quickly before Vahanian said "Send it." Baldwin protested and Vahanian stood and shot his arm out, wrapping his hand around his oldest friend's throat. "I said. Send. It." Baldwin agreed while gasping for air before Vahanian left the balcony for the depths of the Citadel.

"This is completely foolhardy!" Bryant yelled, "He is your only true friend! Literally the only thing you have in the world!"

Jessica, half drunk, ceased rooting through the cellar for more wine and turned on Bryant, furious.

"Do you think this is really what he wants?"

She shoved him away from her, but he doggedly persisted, "So what now? After all this time, am I to just sit here and watch you drink yourself into a self-piteous wretch hell bent on her own death?"

She had enough. Stepping past him, she swept her leg back again, catching him behind the knees while she struck the heel of her palm into his chest. He hit the ground flat on his back, and she was on him, dagger in hand. She held it poised for a moment, letting the blood lust settle, and then tossed it aside. She grabbed a fistful of his shirt with one hand, and punched him twice in the face.

She tumbled backward, and he scrambled into a sitting position, blood smeared below his nose, "I won't do it. I won't watch you kill yourself."

Jessica waved him away, breathing heavily. He lifted himself to his feet, straightened his jacket and shirt, and looked down at her.

"May the Veiled Goddess watch over you, for I shall not any longer." He turned his back on her, and was gone. She clenched her eyes shut, trying unsuccessfully to stem the flow of tears. After a moment, she wiped her face and stood. She collected what she had come for, and then made her way to the stables. Several horse hands attended her, and she gave them the bottles of wine, and a letter for Vahanian.

It simply said:

Where?

She then left the hands to prepare her horse, and made her way to the armoury.

She arrived at the castle in Grehk and dismounted her horse. From the saddle she retrieved two items:

One bottle of wine, and one sheathed rapier.

With one hand she hurriedly tied her hair into a twist behind her head. She whipped the sheath from her sword, and left it lying in the dirt.

Taking a drink of wine, Jessica stalked into the castle.

Vahanian knelt in the temple within the White Citadel, he muttered to himself in prayer as he heard a subtle knock at the door. He turned his head but didn't move aside from that. Baldwin poked his head in and said "She's here."

Vahanian nodded and said "I know, I can feel it." He finished his prayers and stood, walking into his chambers. A few moments later he returned. Baldwin was off-put, he could see the fury and rage tumbling through his friend's eyes, but his face and the rest of his demeanor was eerily calm. He wore his dueling leathers, and had his silver-gray hair tied back with a black ribbon, on his hips were dual short-swords, his favorite weapons.

He barely acknowledged Baldwin, before walking towards the courtyard where Jessica was waiting.

He emerged from between two pillars and a shadowed hallway and stepped into the open air. Jessica was pacing back and forth, sword in hand and a wine bottle in the other. Vahanian drew his blades, stabbed them into the dirt and crouched down, grabbing a handful of the soil and letting it fall between his fingers before rubbing his hands together and cupping them. Bringing them to his nose he inhaled once and then clapped to remove the excess dirt. He drew his blades from the earth and stood ready to kill his friend.

Quote from: Antonia Fitz Roberts
Antonia rode as fast as she could along the road to Grehk. She had heard of rumours of something she had dreaded for a long time, but hoped it wasn't so. If she could just reach the city on time, she might be able to prevent a tragedy

'Your Grace, Your Grace' a rider approaching from the city called out to her. She rode on past him, but then heard again 'Duchess Antonia!' the man called again. Damn, Antonia thought, I'm still not used to that bloody title, it doesn't suit me. She reigned in her horse, dismounted and walked over to the messenger, constantly looking over her shoulder at the city gates that were so close and yet so far

'What is it?!' She snapped, standing so tall that she could nearly look the man on the horse directly in the eye
'You told me to send word as soon as there was any news' she began
'Yes I did, and this doesn't look like sending word, it looks like dithering, get on with it!' She growled, grabbing the reigns of his horse to prevent the mare bolting
'It's to late, it's over. It happened this afternoon. It was as you feared, they're dead'
Antonia's world seemed to slow down. She relaxed her grip on the reigns and the man looked somewhat relieved. Tears began to well up in her eyes as she turned with despair towards the city gates. Too late? No, it wasn't possible, if only she'd been able to find a harbour! And then the man spoke again
'Is there a message you would like me to take back?'
This caused Antonia to turn slowly back towards the him, anguish giving way to a cold rage. She grabbed the man and lifted him bodily from the saddle, letting out a roar as she threw him into an open sewer at the side of the road. He was fortunate enough to have his fall cushioned by its contents

Antonia then fell to her knees and let out another roar that seemed to shake the very heavens. Many of the local peasantry took the opportunity to quietly, yet quickly leave. After ten or so minutes, Antonia got back off the floor and began to walk with purpose towards the city
'Antonia' your horse!' Rosie called after her
'I don't need a horse, there's no rush now'
'What are you going to do?' Rosie called desperately
'Well there's no canals in Grehk, but I'm sure I can improvise'

Long Did She Reign:

Vahanian stood opposite Jessica, she took her last swig from the wine, before her eyes seemed to focus on him. Rage leapt up to her grasp as she hurled the bottle at him. He didn't move, the bottle soared over his shoulder and smashed against the wall. She wordlessly screamed at him. He looked at her blankly and rolled his neck and shoulders before saying.

"Come. Let us finish this." Jessica launched herself forward in a flurry of motion. Vahanian responded in kind, closing the distance between them to make use of his shorter blades. The first clash of steel echoed through the courtyard, and seemed to carry over the city. There was no lull, no pause between the first strike and the following strikes. Jessica was here to rid herself of Vahanian and she would let nothing stop her. Their blades clanged off each other again and again. Jessica using her speed to her advantage. Ducking and weaving, pressing her attack. Vahanian could smell the wine on her breath, it made her strikes much stronger than he'd expected. She wasn't holding back, wasn't looking for a way out. She wanted a way through. In that moment Vahanian knew his friend was truly lost. The steel rang out against one another. Each fighter pressing their attacks, fighting with equal ferocity, Jessica's attacks were stronger, and more wild because of the wine coursing through her body, but it also made her sloppy.

She swung wildly with her blade, Vahanian dodged back and evaded, and then slammed forward ramming his shoulder into her chest. Driving the air from her lungs she coughed and gasped for air as he slashed at her. First at her thigh, the cut was shallow, but sure to sting, Jessica seemed not to notice. He didn't wait, he slashed twice more, next at stomach as she recovered from being doubled over by his shoulder strike, she jumped back to evade being disemboweled, he slashed down with his right arm. His blade nearly took her eye out, instead it cut her from hairline the middle of her jaw, just missing her eye. Blood immediately poured forth and started coursing into her eye. She did her best to wipe it away on her sleeve, but more blood was there to replace what had been wiped away.Vahanian stepped back, almost called out her name, but before he could fully process his thought or his reaction. Jessica was launching herself forward again. Vahanian almost didn't bring his blade up to block her strike. Her wild swing reverberated down his sword into his arm and as she wrenched her arm back, she almost took his sword with her. He growled and bulled forward. He was going to end this. Drunk, and half-blinded by blood, Jessica wasn't prepared for the onslaught of attacks that Vahanian was about to deliver. She did her best to parry, block, and evade the twin blades that were singing death as they whizzed around her.

But eventually, Vahanian's skill and sobriety won out. As she went to parry a strike, he trapped her sword between the guards of both his blades and yanked it away from her. He pulled with such ferocity, he thought he heard a pop from her shoulder dislocating. He threw her blade to the side as he kicked her in the sternum, driving her backwards and lunged after her. His blade punched through her chest, piercing her heart and instinct took over, he twisted and pushed further into the strike, cementing her death. She gasped for air as blood trickled out of the corner of her mouth. Vahanian dropped the sword in his left hand and cradled the back of her head as he lay her on the ground. The gravity of the duel slammed into him like a tidal wave. She coughed and blood sprayed over his face. He blinked and looked down at his hand, grip still firm on the hilt of the sword lodged in her chest. "NOOOOOOO!" He screamed. "BALDWIN!" he screamed, as Baldwin sprinted forward cloth in hand. Vahanian grabbed them with one hand as he pulled the sword out with the other. Pressing the cloths onto her chest with both his hands. Tears started to streak down his face as Jessica looked up at him, and he saw the light start to drain from her eyes. Her right arm twitched, trying to raise it up but her dislocated shoulder refused to cooperate with her waning strength.

Her left arm instead came up and caressed his cheek, he started to reach up to hold her hand against his face as she used the last bit of strength to smile and press her hand against his cheek, before her arm fell to the ground and her head lolled just a bit to the side and the last breath of air from her lungs escaped. Baldwin put his hand on Vahanian's shoulder and tried to pull him away. Vahanian shrugged him off and pushed him away. He reached down and scooped her up into his arms. She felt so tiny, so frail as he picked her up. He struggled to his feet, grief beating the adrenaline into submission and making him weary. He started to walk away carrying her body when Baldwin asked "Where are you going, my lord?" Vahanian's voice was gravely and quivering with pain as he said "To bury her."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:44:55 PM by Abstract Logic »

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Jessica Gildre
« Reply #1: September 25, 2019, 01:16:01 AM »
Now all events will be after the duel was finished. This will be broken up into a couple different posts since there are quite a few RPs.

----

Quote from: Antonia Fitz Roberts
Antonia rushed through the cities of Grehk, forcing her way through the milling crowds. One man in the fish market didn't quite get the message and ended up face first in that morning's catch. At last she reached the fortified citadel where Vahannian resided and, standing in front of the gates, she cupped her hands to her mouth and bellowed

'Vahannian!!! Get out here now, I want a word with you! Vahannian!!!!!'

Quote from: Lavitz Gildre
Lavitz stirred the coals of the tiny fire just outside his thatch hut in Avengmil. His hair was long and unkempt, his beard shaggy and wiry, long since unbrushed. His brown robes had grown tattered. He rotated a spit rabbit, and a few drops of grease tumbled from the body to sizzle in the fire.

He had built the hut himself, way out in the plains, away from civilization, and had lived off the land in seclusion. He spent his days meditating, or praying to the Veiled Goddess. They were one sided conversations, but it kept his faith strong.

A sound perked his ears. The sound of movement. The sound of human movement. When one hasn't heard it in a long time, it is very distinct. He looked over his shoulder to see a Scholar Adept making his way up the trail to his hovel.

"Leave me be, child," he grunted, turning back to his fire.

"M'Lord," the Adept bowed his head, "There is important news from the Heralds which you must be made aware of..."

Lavitz sighed, then nodded. The young man sighed in relief and approached the fire.

"Tell your story," Lavitz commanded.

"First, the Oracle has stepped down and entered seclusion," the Herald began, "Grandmistress Eva has taken control of the Heralds."

Lavitz thought. The name Eva struck no bells. He shrugged, stirring the fire again, "If the Prophetess requires seclusion to communicate with the Veiled Goddess, then that is what she must do. The papers, the bricks, the temples, they are just things. They can be administered by others."

"Indeed..." murmured the Adept, "I bring other news. News of your cousin."

This caused Lavitz to raise an eyebrow.

"She has fallen. Slain in a duel with Duke Vahanian Blint..."

"Vahanian? Why? What happened?" Lavitz was on his feet. This was news he had not expected.

"It is unknown. No official statement has been made."

Lavitz nodded. He could not imagine what scenario would take place for Vahanian and Jessica to cross blades, but he would need an explanation.

"Send word to the Templars..." Lavitz said as he strode into his hut. Beneath several furs, he pulled free a sheathed two handed sword, and strapped it to his back, "Tell them Lavitz Gildre returns to service!"

Lavitz arrived at Castle Grehk and dismounted his horse. Leaving it with the stable hands, he approached the castle gate where an armored guard stopped him.

"I am here to see Duke Vahanian," he said simply.

The guard shook his head, "The Duke is busy. We aren't admitting any audiences today."

"I think he will make an exception. Tell him Lavitz Gildre of the First Knighthood is here," Lavitz replied, "Tell him... I want to know what happened to Jessica."

Vahanian heard Antonia's shouting before he saw her. He was walking towards the gate anyway, a shrouded figure lie bound up in his arms, a shovel strapped to his back. As he approached the gate Antonia's voracious beratings intensified, he was already in the tumultuous throws of emotion and he was not about to let this pompous, arrogant, upstart get in his way.

As he approached the guards started to unbolt the gate and ready their weapons. Vahanian didn't break pace, 7 heavily armed and highly trained guards followed him out. He looked over at Antonia and said "Not now. I'm burying her first. Alone." Before he continued on he looked at his guards and said "If she tries to follow me, kill her."

Vahanian had made his way through the streets of Grehk carrying Jessica's shrouded form. He'd been walking for nearly an hour, and his arms were starting to burn in protest. He eventually had made his way to the hill he'd chosen to bury her on. Beneath an oak tree facing the ocean, he laid her down and began to dig. The sun had been at it's zenith when he'd started and by the time he was done digging the hole, it was starting to set, hidden behind storm clouds that had a foreboding look to them.

He climbed out of the hole and slung Jessica over his shoulder, before climbing back down into the grave. He laid her down and knelt next to her. Muttering a prayer under his breath. As he climbed out of the grave and speared his shovel full of dirt to cover her, a thunder clap boomed in the distance. He turned towards the sound and saw a crack of lightning illuminate the sky, behind the clouds, and for the briefest of seconds he could have sworn he saw Jessica's face in the shape of the clouds lit by the lightning. As he began to fill in her grave, he started to wonder if that was Obeah's way of telling him, Jessica was with Her now, and his duty to Jessica had finished.

He spent the next hour or so filling in the grave, ignoring the rain that battered at him during his work. When at last he'd laid the last shovel of dirt on her grave he leaned against the shovel, fighting back tears, and said "Rest now, my friend, I'll see you in the veil one day..." With one last look at the grave and one last glance towards the sky he made his way back to the White Citadel.

Vahanian returned to the gates of the White Citadel, soaked to the bone in rain water, which had done nothing to improve his mood. Antonia waited there, angrily berating the guards he left behind and as soon as she caught sight of him, she thundered her way over to him and began yelling. Vahanian pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to quell the anger rising in him, and resisting the urge to slap her.

"ENOUGH!" He roared over her. His sudden burst must have caught her by surprise because she immediately stopped yelling, and before she could start again, Vahanian said "Look. I know you're upset, Jessica is dead, I've just killed her. I know how you feel, probably more than you do. If all you're going to do is yell and scream and berate me, you'll be left out here all night and not admitted into the Citadel. If you need space to grieve in peace, a room will be made available to you. Otherwise, begone. I'm tired, I'm sore, and in a great deal of pain." With that, Vahanian turned away and walked towards the Citadel. He glanced over to another gate and saw a disheveled knight, with a familiar face standing there in conversation with the guards. A guard came over to him and said "My Lord, that man says he's -" Vahanian cut him off and uttered "Lavitz... !@#$.." The guard looked confused and then said "Shall we turn him away?" Vahanian shook his head, "No, let him in. I'll meet with him."

Lavitz was admitted and Vahanian met him, nodding his head to the man he'd not seen in a great many years. "Come, we have much to discuss. A room, and food will be made available to you, if you don't mind waiting. I desperately want to bathe before we discuss much of anything."

"Of course, Duke," Lavitz nodded. He watched Vahanian depart, and we lead into a sitting room by a guard. A platter of smoked meat and cheese was placed on a table, along with a bottle of wine. He pushed the wine away.

"Water," he demanded.

A servant nodded and exited the room. Lavitz looked at the tray, and his mouth watered. Cheese! He had eaten nothing but rabbit, deer, potatoes, and whatever berries he could find for years now. This platter of exotic meats and cheese seemed almost like a dream.

Struggling to maintain at least a fraction of discipline, he picked up several morsels, and began stepping around the room, gazing at decorations and memorabilia.

Vahanian sat in a steaming tub of water and soap while Lavitz was catered to with food and drink. He leaned his head back against the side of the tub and let the water run over his body, the warmth relaxing his muscles and doing it's best to was the day off of him. He didn't tarry long in the water, though he'd have liked to. He cleaned himself and exited the bath. Now warm, and clean from the day's events, he dressed in his dark blue and black robes, pulled his hair back into a knot with a thin black silk ribbon and combed out his beard.

He was still tired and sore, and there was a pain in his eyes, but he headed towards the study where Lavitz was waiting. Shortly after he arrived, some additional food and drinks were brought, Baldwin accompanied them. Concern was written all over his face. Vahanian poured himself a cup of tea, and plied a plate with some salted pork, cheese and fruit. Another servant entered with a tray full of tobaccos, pipes, and rolling papers in case Lavitz wanted to smoke as well. Vahanian pulled out his pipe and favored tobacco while he munched on some of the food on his plate, he packed his pipe tight and lit it. Studying Lavitz as the man walked around the room, inspecting the decor. Time in the woods had not dulled the man's physic, he looked as lean and muscular as ever, if anything he looked stronger, in a more functional way.

After a few moments, Lavitz turned to regard Vahanian as if he hadn't noticed the duke sitting there studying him. Vahanian puffed on his pipe before saying "She fought and died well.. I think you'd have been proud.." Lavitz eyes shifted around the room looking at the few servants and Baldwin who remained. Vahanian turned his head towards them and said "Leave us." The servants departed and Baldwin stayed, which annoyed Vahanian. "My lord, if I may." Vahanian cut him off. "No, you may not, captain. That will be all for this evening." Baldwin bowed his head and left, knowing better than to tempt his master.

Vahanian turned back to Lavitz and said "She... Jessica.. flirted with blasphemy.. by the Templar Code, my code, her sins demanded death." Vahanian waited and Lavitz said nothing. He continued "Are you here to try to kill me?" He wasn't nervous, as much as curious, if Lavitz wanted him dead, it would be a fight, a good one given the man's reputation, but Vahanian had seen enough death today, he didn't want to risk having to kill another Gildre.

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 25, 2019, 01:19:13 AM »
Lavitz eased himself down into the chair across from Vahanian.

"She... Jessica.. flirted with blasphemy.. by the Templar Code, my code, her sins demanded death... Are you here to try to kill me?"

Lavitz produced his own pipe, feeling somewhat embarrassed. While Vahanian smoked from a beautiful work of art, Lavtiz's was hand carved by himself, and he was no artisan. He pulled a pinch of tabacco and began to pack his pipe, gingerly drawing on it to test the airflow and avoid over packing. He looked up at Vahanian.

Lavitz shook his head, "Heresy, in my own house..." he said to himself, then remembered Vahanian.

"Try to kill you? Why in the name of the Prophetess would I try to do that?" Lavitz's eyebrows were raised, "No, old comrade. I do not seek your death. I only seek the truth of what happened. Jessica had a darkness within her. Who knows, perhaps it started when she was tortured by Akkan, or maybe she picked it up from those death worshiping cultists in Gothica. In the end, though, she loved pain more than she loved the Veiled Goddess. She had to be put down."

Lavitz paused to light his pipe, and then continued in a haze of smoke, "I am curious how she was at the end. More than that, though, I am here to once again pledge myself to the Templars. My sword must rejoin the battle against the darkness, especially now in the absence of the Prophetess. Much has changed, I see that. I find myself leap frogging through time. Last time, when I made the journey from Keffa to Rines, I was full of angst that I had been the past and that the Sacred Realm had moved on without me. Now I return from enlightenment, intent on serving the Sacred Realm."

He took a sip of water, "I was wondering if you might tell me a bit about the current political climate of the Sacred Realm? While none have served the Veiled Goddess longer than I, I am woefully out of date on current affairs, and little use to anyone in such a state..."

Vahanian exhaled smoke through his nose. The aromas of his tobacco mixed with Lavtiz's filled the room. Vahanian weighed the man who sat across from him before continuing.

"At the end, she was.. angry. Filled with hate and rage. Perhaps in part due to the Oracle's departure. She fought well and with great fury, though she was drunk and sloppy. I believe her time ruling the Novans corrupted her beyond the point of redemption." Vahanian sipped from his tea before continuing.

"The current political climate... is strained. War with our so-called allies Lux Nova is on our doorstep, but our government seems determined to move the Sacred Realm to Wudenkin to war Thalmarkin. An undertaking that is both foolish, and stupid. A heretical sect of the faith has split off and calls themselves the Light of Obeah, or something like that, and I am ashamed to say the Templar have grown far too complacent in recent years. I mean to change that, and could use your help. I would see us burn the heresy of the Novans to the ground before we even think of moving the Sacred Realm. Of course, with Erheas leading our armies, and Eva leading the realm, that notion will be snuffed out like a dim candle on the floor of the council... I have other ideas."

Vahanian finished his tea and puffed his pipe. Lavitz nodded and Vahanian launched into his plan. "Over the years of commanding the garrisons here in Grehk, my soldiers have found and executed several heretical witches, among the possessions have been dark magic scrolls. Summoning rituals for monsters and undead. I propose we unleash those demonic creatures onto the Novans, let them taste real combat and see how they handle them. Perhaps that will spark war, and we can have the backing of the Sacred Realm to eradicate the filth that resides in Nova." A fire shined in Vahanian's eye.

Here was a man who could help him bring about the change to the Templar that he'd long wished for.

Lavitz sat up in his chair.

"A heretical sect is on our doorstep, and the Sacred Realm sits idly?" Lavitz's eyes were wide, "Why in the name of the Veiled Goddess is the army not marching now? This is unacceptable. We must deliver the blow to this heresy while we still can before we consider moving north to deal with the heresy there."

He nodded at Vahanian's plan, "Indeed, the fire seems to have died, the lust to purge has grown weak. If these... Novans... were so able to push Jessica over the edge, then who knows what they are truly capable of. We must war upon them, and every war needs a spark to set it off."

He stood, and held out his hand to Vahanian, "I am yours."

Quote from: Ferdinand Greybrook
Walking through the hallways to Vahanian's study, the solace allowed him to think. While the mentor and his successor had held conflict recently, there was no denying that now was a time to put that to a side - especially with recent events. Yet, this journey was one of selfish desire - he needed to answer a question.

Who is Ferdinand Greybrook?

The once hardline zealous Grand Templar was now a Steward with a severe lack conviction, perhaps impacted by the unanswered visions and questions. One of which included his current political standing, which by his own standards was despicable, he did not bend like the wind.

His study of Obeah as a priest was incredibly valuable to the former Grand Templar - he needed it to stay sane. The visions ceased for a while but have slowly begun to return, with his indecision. Ferdinand even thought about whether he should commit to becoming a Priest dedicated to the spread of the one true faith. While he could, it would almost be a lack of fulfilment for the Templar when he considered the faith at large.

Evil lurked all around Obia'Syela, heresy on its doorstep and the evergrowing strength of heathens, the future has never been so blurred. The Oracle's final wishes were also playing on his mind. What was the greater evil? Was this just one grand test made by Obeah to truly test her faithful whom had become reluctant in their duty?

By the time he got to the door, he was caught unawares by what was a conversation in the study, with a unfamiliar voice conversing with the Duke. Hesitant, Ferdinand knocked twice and announced himself before entering the room...

Vahanian stood and shook Lavitz's hand, he knew this was a man with the conviction to do what needed to be done.

A knock sounded at the door and Ferdinand poked his head in. Vahanian turned to face him as he entered. Ferdinand's eyes shifted between the two men in front of him as he went over and to Vahanian. "Your Grace.. I uh.." Ferdinand sputtered before Vahanian said "Lavitz, this is Ferdinand Greybrook, a Templar, the former Grand Templar after I stepped down, and my steward. Ferdinand, this is Sir Lavitz of house Gildre, the First Templar and cousin to Jessica." Vahanian beckoned each of them to sit. "It is good you are here, Ferdinand, we have much to discuss." Vahanian saw the look in Ferdinand's eye and waved it away. "Our personal matters can wait. We have to talk about how we're going to root out and kill the heresy that stains Lux Nova. Changes to the Templar order must be made, and I need to depart to use these scrolls tonight."

"The Templar must become... more. More militant, more disciplined, more motivated. No more should we allow anyone to join our ranks, they must be dedicated to the cause, determined to meet our standards, and willing to do whatever is necessary to root out and destroy all forms of heresy. And we need to do it fast. Ideas?"

Adjusting the the unfamiliar presence in the room, Ferdinand addressed Vahanian:

"Mentor, I agree with your course of action regarding the Templar, how do you propose we route out those whom are not committed? In regards to the heretics, we should perhaps weigh the significance of the greater evil in Thalmarkin with the Unholy Order. The Grandmistress recently..."

Ferdinand would of continued but he anticipated that both nobles had a opinion on the heretic or heathen debate.

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 25, 2019, 01:25:48 AM »
Quote from: Eva Foote
Ten hours ago...

Eva sat on the edge of the fountain at the center of the magnificent temple in the Holy City of Rines' cloister. With the sun directly overhead, she glided her across the warm water as Deacon Robert informed Eva of the recent news in Grehk. As someone relatively close to the recently reclusive and now departed Oracle, Deacon Robert was unofficially promoted to an advisory role but primarily served as an intermediary between Eva and her servants.

"and there has still been no word from His Grace regarding the...incident." the Deacon concluded his report.

"Where is he now?" Eva asked without looking towards the Deacon.

"His Grace was last seen in Grehk but that was a while ago. His Grace's guards have been loyal to him and have not provided any details regarding His Grace's intentions or movements."

"What of," Eva hesitated before looking back towards Robert," her?"

"She was last seen being carried out from the White Citadel by His Grace. After that, we do not know what happened."

"She deserves a proper funeral," the Grandmistress turned back to the fountain as clouds passed in front of the sun. "Since His Grace will not respond to letters," Eva broke the silence, "I will get the response in person. Ready transport to Grehk immediately."

"Right away, Your Holiness," Robert responded with a bow before quickly leaving the cloister.

Eva looked back at the hastily departing deacon, she was still not comfortable with the phrase "Your Holiness." Every time she heard the phrase it left her uneasy for though it was appropriate, it felt inappropriate. Eva hoped such feelings would pass or perhaps the Oracle would return sooner rather than later, thus removing the discomfort.

----

Present...

After a nine hour trip, the large convoy came to a stop in front of the White Citadel of Grehk. Eva exited her carriage to see the handful of the Duke's guards at entrance. Dozens of soldiers had recently started accompanying the Grandmistress everywhere she went in order to ensure her safety. Many of them were formerly part of the Basilica's guards who were no longer needed after the Oracle's departure. With little light the royal banners could hardly be seen by the faint torch fires.

"Eva Foote," a captain belted out to the gatekeepers, "Vicarius Oraculum, and Grandmistress of the Sacred Obia'Syela, has come to meet with Vahanian Blint, Lord Templar, Duke of Amen Telum, and Margrave of Grehk."

There was no reply but one of the gatekeepers could be seen departing, likely to find out what they were to do with the unannounced visitor. Deacon Robert slowly approached Eva from behind.

"Your Holiness," the Deacon whispered, "what if His Grace doesn't permit entrance?"

Eva looked back with a disapproving look to the Deacon, she knew what he was asking. "Then we will leave," she said to the shadowy face, "peacefully." She had no interest in resorting to violence and even if she did there wasn't enough soldiers here for taking the citadel.

"What if, Obeah forbid, His Grace has gone rogue?" the Deacon continued his anxious questioning, "a meeting inside His Grace's residence could be dangerous."

"Robert, His Grace is not that stupid."

"But what if?"

Eva gave the Deacon a scornful look, "whatever happens, happens. Now cease your babbling."

"Yes, Your Holiness," Robert sheepishly backed away.

Eva looked back towards the Citadel, shaking away the Deacon's infectious anxiety. The gatekeeper finally came back to his post, likely with orders of what the guards were to tell the Grandmistress.

- Meetings with Lavitz and Ferdinand -

Vahanian was about to answer Ferdinand, when a knock sounded. Baldwin entered and shuffled over and whispered in Vahanian's ear. Vahanian looked at him and said "See to it. Let her in, I'll see her after she's settled."

He turned back to his companions and said "The Grandmistress is here. No doubt to inquire after the duel. I must attend to this.." He stood to leave and said "Ferdinand.. we must never let heresy grow. Especially when it is so close to our borders. We must act, and we must be swift. I know you're..conflicted. Speak with Sir Lavitz here. Listen to his stories of the last invasion, and then make up your mind."

With that Vahanian left the two men alone and went to attend to Eva.

The guard returned with an older man, one who had the distinct look of a lifetime of service, military service at that. The man took one look at the Grand Mistress, and cuffed the younger guards. "Open the gates at once!"

The gates rattled open and the older man bowed low saying, "Your Majesty, forgive their ignorance. They are young and prone to mistakes. I am Baldwin, personal aide and Captain of the guard for His Grace. His Grace welcomes you to Grehk and the White Citadel. Rooms and refreshments will be made available to you and your companions. If you'd follow me, I'm sure you're tired after your journey. I will inform the Duke of your arrival."

A short while later

Vahanian was on his way through the halls of the White Citadel towards the rooms that had been made available to Eva and her retainer. He was still wearing his dark blue and black robes, his hair tied back and he wore two daggers on his belt. One at his side, and one on the small of his back. He and Baldwin approached the door to Eva's rooms and he knocked twice and awaited a reply. He heard the sounds of feet shuffling across the heavy carpets and then the door opened and the Deacon's face appeared in the crack. He opened the door wider and permitted Vahanian and Baldwin into the room. Eva sat on one of the sofa's and looked up as he entered.

Vahanian bowed as did Baldwin and he said "Your Grace, what a pleasant surprise, I hope your journey wasn't too harrowing." Eva stood and gave a small curtsy to Vahanian and said "Your Grace, thank you for your hospitality."

Vahanian nodded to Baldwin and said "Thank you, Baldwin, that will be all." Baldwin bowed once more and departed. Eva offered Vahanian a chair and he sat, selecting one by the window so he might smoke without too much of an impact on Eva. The Deacon eyes his daggers warily and Vahanian nearly rolled his eyes. "Oh relax, if I wanted her dead, she'd be dead already. I assume you're here to discuss... The duel." He swallowed the lump that started to form in his throat, and lit his pipe as he looked at Eva.

Eva said nothing on the journey into the White Citadel nor while in the room she would spend the night in. After the Duke came in, the two exchanged the formal greetings and sat together. Eva, still in her white vestments and the priestly veil covering her face, listened to Vahanian address Deacon Robert.

"...I assume you're here to discuss... The duel." Vahanian finished his statement which was now directed at Eva and lit the pipe that seemed to accompany him everywhere.

"Out," she said looking at Deacon Robert.

"Yes, Your Holiness," he hesitantly said with a bow before slowly leaving the room.

Eva watched the door close behind Robert before looking back at the seated Vahanian. Gracefully she removed her veil as he exhaled smoke which rolled out the open window. She did not intend on a formal meeting and hoped that the combination of removing her veil and her soon informal speech patterns would adequately convey this.

"Indeed," Eva said plainly, "I am here about the duel. You did not responded to my written request for information. I hope that this is due to time restraints and not because you have something to hide." Her emerald eyes remained fixed on Vahanian, not to find an exposing expression, he was too experienced to give anything away that easily, but to convey that her full focus was on him and not other matters.

Lavitz and Ferdinand

"Quite the meeting of ex-Grand Templars we have here," Lavitz laughed, "Grandmistress Eva, eh? What are your thoughts of her? I have yet to meet her, in person..."

He leaned forward and tapped the charcoal tabacco from his pipe into an ash tray, and stowed it in his robes. He glanced down as he did and frowned. He should have cleaned himself up and gotten a tunic before coming, but he had really only intended on discussing his counsin's demise, and not planning how to start a multi-national campaign against a cell of heretics.

"Back in my day..." he leaned back and mused, "We were garrisoned in Keffa city. There is a reason the Prophetess made the migration from the north to the Holy City of Rines. There is no sustainability to the north. Eva's desire to move the realm back there is a fools gambit, and has little hope of success."

"Why do you think her and Erheas are opposed to dealing with the heretics right next door to us?"

Vahanian met Eva's gaze with equal intensity for a long while, puffing on his pipe before saying anything. Eventually he said "She warranted death. She was blasphemous and bordering on heresy. But know that I did not take pleasure in it. Beyond that, I don't have much more to say. The letters between Jessica and I, will remain between us."

Vahanian's eyes held Eva's for a while and then he said "What do you hope to get from this conversation?"

Vahanian's eyes held Eva's for a while and then he said "What do you hope to get from this conversation?"

They continued to study each other, looking for a hint, any hint. Vahanian's direct question caught Eva off guard. Though she gave Vahanian a slight smile it could be discerned by the careful observer that she was unamused. For longer than usual she did not blink or change her expression. When the time came to relieve drying eyes she did so with a turn of the head towards the door, resetting her composure in a quick moment.

"The truth," she said with a grin towards the Duke, "that is what I came for." Eva kept her posture straight as she shifted back in her seat, letting her back rest against the cushion of the sofa. No longer with her body shifted towards the Duke, she now somberly faced the door. "It is a shame that such a legacy as Jessica's will be marred by this...drastic change in character," Eva said with a tinge of sorrow before giving Vahanian an inquisitorial gaze, "where is she now? The body I mean."

Looking at the first Templar, Ferdinand straightened up in his seat:

"The Grandmistress is pious, entrusted by the Oracle to deliver her word and now her regent until her return. As per her instruction, the greater evil in the Unholy Order of Mordok should be addressed by all whom worship Obeah, even if this turns a blind eye to Nova..."

That comment particularly made Ferdinand uncomfortable in his suit of armour. He was one of the first to declare that the heretics needed to burn for their blasphemy. Yet, the heathen had grown stronger by the One True Faith's lack of action:

"The crusade has never been truly declared as we have not engaged with the Unholy Order due to the sheer travelling involved. The move to Wudenkin is in large to combat the heathens effectively. While I disagree with the Grandmistress' view on the heretics, I agree that the Order has been left unchecked for too long, with their mass growing by the day. It has been largely inferred that up until recently, Nova will support the war against Thalmarkin. However, the death of your cousin has complicated matters for Obeah's theocracy. Another reason why the Crusade was never truly declared was that the relationship with the once vassal realm was never truly established nor accepted."

Assessing Lavitz's reaction, Ferdinand continued:

"Do you believe the heathen or the heretic needs to be addressed first? What is your interpretation?"

Lavitz drummed his fingers on the table.

"I think, logistically, taking care of this Novan problem is the best thing to do first. If we don't, then we never will be able to. We must destroy this heresy which has rooted so close to us, and then we can worry about the long distance enemy. It is the only way to destroy both."

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 04, 2019, 07:51:53 PM »
Updating with all the RPs that have happened. The initial post has been updated as well due to missing a couple RPs the first time.

---

"While I am one of the first to agree with you and purge the heretic, the previous negotiations have cited that the Light of Obeah would assist in the destruction of the Unholy Order. Furthermore, while Nova was a difficult reality to live with, it is the Light of Obeah we have issue with, not Nova. If the Light and Nova are the same or they refuse to support the war against the Unholy Order, that changes things."

Ferdinand had to hold back on his impulse to agree with the first Templar. He would much rather see the Light stuffed out. Yet, he wanted to explore the man's thought process.

Lavitz listened while Ferdinand spoke.

"While I am one of the first to agree with you and purge the heretic, the previous negotiations have cited that the Light of Obeah would assist in the destruction of the Unholy Order. Furthermore, while Nova was a difficult reality to live with, it is the Light of Obeah we have issue with, not Nova. If the Light and Nova are the same or they refuse to support the war against the Unholy Order, that changes things."

Lavitz replied, "I ask you this, friend. Is the Light evil in the eyes of the Heralds? Of course it is. It is a mockery of our church. Do you think that the Veiled Goddess decided an offshoot was required and didn't bother to tell any of us?" he waved his arms emphatically, "No, they are a heretical cell, either trying to use the word of Obeah for financial gain or something more sinister. Just because they claim they will go to war with this Mordok cult means nothing. The enemy of my enemy is not automatically my friend. The simple truth is, lately, too much grey has been muddled into a very black and white subject. Too many people talk about all the reasons we can't enforce the will of Obeah, we can't purge heretics, we can't destroy evil."

He took a sip of water.

"Just look at Lux Nova. They harbour and allow an evil religion to grow. They harbour apostates to the true faith. Family members of heretics," Lavitz raised an eyebrow at Ferdinand, "Lux Nova is most definitely not our friends."

Ferdinand thought deeply about the logic of the First Templar, it was quite similar to his own. He knew that the Light of Obeah needed to be snuffed out. Yet, why was he holding back?

"There is merit in your words Sir Lavitz, alot what you say is true. I believed that it was the Inquisition that operated in the shades of grey, not the Templar. There is only the one true faith and that is the worship of Obeah as told by her prophet the Oracle."

It was then that Ferdinand recalled a passage from his studies as a Herald and chose to speak aloud:

"Obeah is not the only divinity. However, she is the only one that saw to deliver mankind away from evil tyranny and suffering of the Netherworld. Mankind should be grateful for her intervention, we are sheltered in her mercy. It is only in her piercing through the veil that we can all achieve salvation on the mortal plain. No other divinity shall save them."

Pausing for a moment, Ferdinand knew what judgement he had made in his mind. Was it his authority to do so?

No.

Yet, it is in zeal that he should act, like the once Grand Templar used to:

"It is the Templar duty to save those whom are faithful to Obeah. These once faithful are adulterous to Obeah - they must confess their sole devotion and come to her bosom or by the Templar's sword they shall burn."

"The truth." Vahanian echoed. Turning the phrase over in his mouth before releasing it. He crossed one leg over the other and took a deep breath, before exhaling and flicking his eyes around Eva's face.

"Careful what you ask for, Grandmistress, the truth can be sharper than you think." He puffed on his pipe and said "I buried her, in a place she would have liked, so that her body may not be used as a tool for a grandiose display of extravagance. I think she'd have hated that display." Eva looked as if she were about to say something when Vahanian continued.

"If you're looking for more truth, here it is. She deserved death. As do all heretics, and apostates. And before you quote to me scripture and passages proclaiming all life is sacred, I've been here a lot longer than you, I've studied the faith a lot longer than you. What the scriptures don't tell you, is this. All life is sacred until it isn't. Straying from the Veiled Goddess's light happens, and can be tolerated and corrected. We're human after all. Abandoning that light for something.. else. Cannot be tolerated. Will not be tolerated."

"You command the Heralds, as the Oracle wished, and I respect that and you for it, but there has always been a separation of the three pillars, Templar, Inquisitor, and Herald, the have a symbiotic relationship, helping each other when the time comes, but they exist within their own boundaries and have their own tenants... And Grandmistress.. I AM the Templar, and we're going to do what we do best. Hunt. If you've not the stomach for the bloodshed that is to come, step down now and crawl into a hole. Because I promise you this, more blood will be spilled, and I will be the one spilling it."

"...If you've not the stomach for the bloodshed that is to come, step down now and crawl into a hole. Because I promise you this, more blood will be spilled, and I will be the one spilling it." Vahanian finished his speech and gave Eva the chance to respond.

Though the frown on Eva's face remained, the anger diminished some as Vahanian finished. There was a hard truth alluded to at the end of his response and Eva couldn't deny it. Conflict, violence, bloodshed, these were never enjoyable to her and she always tried to avoid them. But right here, right now, there was no chance of avoiding conflict.

"Who does and does not die," Eva began with a lingering tinge of anger in her voice, "is not your decision to make. You have been here a long time, longer than myself that is certainly true. With such tenure you should know full well that this triumvirate is led by the Heralds, by the Church. If you go against what has been decided by the Church then I will have no choice but to excommunicate you. Along with excommunication, I will give the order to the Grand Inquisitor to banish you from the Sacred Realm. Knowing the relationship between the Inquisition and the Templars, this order will be followed with great joy."

After a moment of silence, Eva stood up from the couch. "We should get some rest," she continued with the stern tone, "we will have a long day ahead of us. If Jessica was...corrupted, then the proper rituals have to be performed."

Vahanian tented his fingers as Eva replied, though her response made him furious he'd mastered control over his emotions long ago. Not even a flicker of annoyance spread across his face. Eva suggested getting rest and Vahanian nodded. Before he stood to depart he said

"Grandmistress.." He paused for a moment as if considering an action before continuing on "Since I swore my allegiance to the Oracle all those years ago, every action I've ever taken has been for the Church. I've no reason nor desire to see the triumvirate voided or ignored. However, I've just killed the ruler of Lux Nova, if you think they're going to lie down and take that, then you've far more faith in irrational men and women behaving rationally than I. Furthermore, I do not wish for war with Nova. However, if they protect or harbor the heathen sect of the faith that you yourself declared evil, how can we not wage war, spill a little blood now to avoid genocide later.."

He stood and bowed his head. "Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll take some of the best advice I've received today and get some rest. I'll send your man back to you with haste. Do enjoy your stay with us here."

He turned to leave after Eva provided her farewell and thanked him for his hospitality. As he reached the door. He turned and said "Oh and Grandmistress. That comment you made about excommunicating me, if it came to it. You should know, if you ever did decide that course of action was what was needed, you'd be effectively gutting the Sacred Realm. Remember. I AM the Templar... Just some food for thought." Vahanian said with a wolfish smile. Without waiting for Eva to respond he left, as he walked through the halls he passed Deacon Roberts who was accompanied by two guards of Eva's. Vahanian recognized them both as the Paladins he'd selected and trained for Rania's personal guard. He nodded to them both who in kind nodded back. He said to the Deacon "Your master awaits.." Deacon Roberts, clearly didn't care for Vahanian and so he scurried along towards Eva's room. Vahanian was tempted to click his tongue against the roof of his mouth, like one might do when commanding a dog or horse, but decided against it. For now.

Every fiber of her being remained tense in the process of refraining from reacting to Vahanian. With the closing of the door, Eva instantly relaxed with a sigh. Eva made her way towards the open window, smoothing out her white vestments. Soft stitching glided underneath the palms of her hands. Cool night air drifted through the opening and bled through her thin garments. Outside a pair of guards chatted as they walked by on their patrol. The Grandmistress watched them closely as one laughed at what the other was saying. There was no tension out there, no real worries. Yet beyond the manor there were nobles on edge at the news of the Sacred Obia'Syela possibly migrating. Inside the manor seemed to be even worse. Here there was plotting of war in one room and confrontation between the two sides, against war and for war, in another room. This room.

As Deacon Robert entered the room, Eva closed the window previously opened by Vahanian. In the deacon's hand was the piece of information that Eva was waiting for. Inside that scroll would be the truth or more precisely, a truth.

"Your Holiness," Deacon Robert spoke softly as he bowed.

Eva waited for the guard to finish closing the door but she hadn't the patience for more than that. She took the scroll from Robert and hastily broke the seal. Plenty of words were skipped over, they were mere formalities with little substance. The Grandmistress didn't care about the fluff, her only interest was the result. Her emerald eyes drifted up to the Deacon as she finished the letter. Frustration furled the Grandmistress' brow as the paper crumbled between her hands.

"and?" quietly the Deacon asked.

Drifting back to the sofa without responding, Eva slid down onto the soft cushions, gazing towards the unstained wooden chair, worn with time. Vahanian had sat there just minutes ago as the two confronted each other in the initial skirmish of a political war. Now the barren chair bore no answers. "Nothing," she muttered, "there's nothing."

Instantly Deacon Robert relaxed. "If he isn't planning a rebellion then that is good news, no?"

"We have a long day tomorrow, you should go get some sleep." Eva didn't budge.

"Have a good night, Your Holiness," Robert said with bow before departing.

Eva knew that this truth was not the one she needed. Vahanian wasn't himself, he was reserved and patient like usual. There was something going on, the only question was what. Though there would be no answers tonight, and sleep was desired, it would be an uneasy and sleepless night in this part of the manor.

Vahanian had little time to think about his conversation with Eva before he arrived at the study where he'd left Ferdinand and Lavitz. He took a deep breath and opened the door, stepping inside.

Conversation didn't stop as he walked to his chair and pulled out his pipe before stuffing tobacco into it once more and lighting it. He poured himself another cup of tea, and stared at the wall. He replayed the conversation he'd had with Eva, thinking through it entirely. Before his eyes seemed to re-focus in the present and he said abruptly. "We need to control the throne." He continued on, without much thought to the silence that pervaded the room now.

"I don't necessarily mean we kill Eva.. Mostly because I doubt we'd be successful at it, or that we'd get away with it.. No, we need a claim on the Throne that cannot be disputed. I've alienated too many to win the election, Lavitz isn't well known enough among the younger nobles, I'm not convinced Antonia can be controlled, especially after I've killed Jessica." Vahanian's gaze flicked over to Ferdinand who was listening to Vahanian's words intently. "That leaves you, my friend. Win this election, and we can move past your... decision-" Vahanian nearly spat the word as if it were poison. "-to hand over the Grand Templar seat to that frustratingly dull and loathsome Duke." Vahanian once again seemed to have a vile taste in his mouth after the word duke. His disdain for Erheas was clear.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:34:28 AM by Abstract Logic »

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 04, 2019, 07:56:32 PM »
Lavitz nodded thoughtfully, "Erheas is probably the worst Grand Templar I have ever witnessed. What General is terrified of fighting? Sings songs of peace? I guess one who has no idea what he is doing... However, we play with the cards the Veiled Goddess deals us..."

He grunted to himself, and carried on, "Even if I desired the throne, which I don't, I have been away too long, you are right. And of those who knew me, I have had altercations with many of them. I agree that Ferdinand is a wise choice to campaign in favor."

He held up a hand, "However, what of this Antonia? Is she not a Templar? I was under the impression she has made a name for herself as a military commander. Why do we need to control her? Perhaps, we just need to unleash her..."

Vahanian tented his fingers as he puffed on his pipe, his deep hazel eyes shone intelligently as he considered what his friend had just said. "Perhaps controlled wasn't the best word. I meant that I'm not convinced Antonia is fully onboard with what must be done in Nova.." Vahanian sipped at his tea before saying "Unleashing her could be useful, but train a fox to defend the chicken coop and eventually the fox kills a chicken or two..."

Vahanian puffed on his pipe some more before turning back to Ferdinand and saying "Would you consider the throne?"

The conversion turned sour rather quickly for Ferdinand as he watched as the man he considered more of a father than his own flesh and blood talk with such anger.

Controlled.

That word stung for Ferdinand. He saw past the insinuation that Vahanian could control Ferdinand, that was not he meant. He meant influence for the Templar Order. Although, the concept still concerned him. The elder Templar had gone through such heartache the last few weeks with the Oracle, the one whom was not named and now Jessica - he has been drained of compassion. Despite how much Ferdinand could reason in his own mind for the choice of words, the fact that the rulership of Veiled Goddess' Theocracy was referred to a throne in such a way was not one that Ferdinand could ignore.

Decision.

He was not offended by the venom in Vahanian's tongue as he discussed his decision to step down, he was more disappointed. He knew the trauma that he had suffered but was not satisfied.
That did not matter to Ferdinand, faith and devotion were more important. This was why he took the time to become one with the Heralds and discover himself once again. It was to understand what faith was and the scripture of Obeah once again as he had walked off his true path.

Unleash.

Throughout his life in Obeah's heaven, the Marshal was outspoken but loyal to the faith without doubt. Unorthodox in behaviour perhaps, uncertainty in ruling style but completely loyal and devout to the Oracle. It is why she was chosen to be the Defender of the Faith - she is not to be unleashed. It was not lost to Ferdinand that Antonia supported his generalship without fault where she could of fought a very tight election. Yet, she chose not to. Yet, something was missing from current events and he needed to find out one day soon.

So consumed in his own thoughts that Ferdinand didn't realise how long he had been silent for. Only when he looked to Vahanian's face did he realise truly what he insinuated Ferdinand to do did the gravity dawn on him.

The anger swelled but was only just kept at bay.

"Vahanian. I serve Obeah first and foremost and always shall. As my mentor you have taught me many things and I am only whom I am today because of you. Yet, how you make the insinuation that Obeah's heaven in the mortal realm is a throne to be competed over like squabbling children over their father's throne is not right. Her sanctuary is to not be tempered nor shamed in such a way."

Taking a moment to formulate his next sentence, Ferdinand adjusted the Grehkian armour to enable slightly more relaxed posture:

"No, I have not desired the throne. I did not desire the Grand Templar title all the same. I do what I must for the Veiled Goddess and how I can best serve her. My path in this realm has been made through my military career so far. While perhaps another should become the next Grand Templar, which I see great promise within, leading a realm through diplomacy is another entity. I still struggle with the reforms of the Grandmistress where the Ruler is not a Grand Herald. While I have experience as a Herald, something like this is a decision that should not be made lightly. What would you see my possible candidacy achieve for the election and upon success for Obeah?"

Vahanian had to quell the anger that flared in him when Ferdinand responded. It took all his focus to keep his emotion in check, he had to keep reminding himself that he had trained Ferdinand, so if he was to blame anyone for Ferdinand's world views, it should be himself.

Try as he might, he could not quell all the emotion, before he spoke a dangerous look flared through his eye. "Aye I trained you, for many years. But you're foolish if you think Obeah's "haven in the mortal realm", as you put it, is a throne, a title, a crown, a realm. It isn't. It's the faithful and the Oracle. Neither of which can be lead, only guided. So if to guide us towards the right path, the path that honors the death of my.... of Stheno.. and of Jessica, and every other faithful that has given their lives for the Veiled Goddess, if that path requires us to control, influence, or seize a throne, a title, a crown, a realm, then so be it. That is a sacrifice I am willing to make, and will make gladly and without question. If you're not secure enough in your faith to do what must be done then get out." Vahanian paused for a long while before continuing.

"But if you decide to stay, then make that decision. Stop questioning yourself and your faith. Nothing productive ever comes from wondering if this is Obeah's path for you. If it isn't Her path for you, you'd know, and you wouldn't be on it."

He sat back in his chair, puffed on his pipe and said "Make a decision, son."

The one word that he didn't expect but never dared to assume. The Executor of the Templar had lived through Daimon invasions, lost his family, the sacrifices he had made all for the faith. Yet, he was able to rise above all for his cause and offer a bond that not even his own blood offered him willingly. Ferdinand was taken aback in silence. Had he made sacrifice in his life? True sacrifice? Ferdinand couldn't attribute such a action. He couldn't imagine the pain the Duke lived through. Looking at Vahanian behind the smoke of his pipe, Ferdinand realised something rather pivotal in his aged eyes:

"Decadence. We have fallen into decadence."

It was the crushing realisation that was almost like the first light at daybreak:

"We have forgotten what it means to sacrifice, to pledge service to the faith and to commit to our beliefs. It is through her Theocracy that her word is spread and recongised as the One True Faith above all else..."
After a few more moments, Ferdinand continued with a steel in his voice:
"Is this all that we can give to Obeah? Is this all her Theocracy can achieve?"

As Ferdinand finished and returned to his seat after the exclamation of emotion, the question hanged in the air for some time but all three men knew the answer. There was focus in Ferdinand's eye and conviction in his grip now that was lost for some time. Between the three men that night, plans were made for the Templar Order and beyond...