Author Topic: Fame: points in the beginning of a family?  (Read 17195 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fame: points in the beginning of a family?
« Reply #15: August 09, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »
The loss of fame is not, strictly speaking, a bug.  To understand this, let me explain a little about how gaining fame works:

Each fame "event" has a certain number of points associated with it.  When you achieve any particular such "event", the game records that you got it, and adds the number of points to your fame total.

Then, any later time that you get achieve that same event, the game checks, sees that you already have it, and doesn't give you anything.

Sometimes, though, due to one bug or other, the game adds extra points to your fame total.  If this happens, the fame cleanup script (which runs either at the turn or around 10AM server time, depending on which set of scripts it belongs to—I don't recall offhand) will fix it when it goes through all your recorded fame "events", and adds up the points associated with them.  If it gets a number that's different from your current fame total, it will replace your fame total with the number it got.

I hope that makes sense.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 09, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
So it seems the 4 fame points he got are actually only two, and the search for the lemon continues?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 09, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
So it seems the 4 fame points he got are actually only two, and the search for the lemon continues?

Lemon?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 09, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »
It's a very famous lemon.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #19: August 09, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Lemon_Fame_2

Wow, I know something Anaris doesn't!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 09, 2011, 02:56:30 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Lemon_Fame_2

Wow, I know something Anaris doesn't!

I know about Lemon Fame, egamma.

Do you know why it's called Lemon Fame?

Here's a hint: There's no actual lemon involved.
Timothy Collett

egamma

« Reply #21: August 09, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
 :P Aw shucks.

Well...the original page says "Fame theories by Lemon Tree".

Presumably there was a played called Lemon Tree, who conducted the initial investigations?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 09, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
:P Aw shucks.

Well...the original page says "Fame theories by Lemon Tree".

Presumably there was a played called Lemon Tree, who conducted the initial investigations?

LemonTree was one of Vincent van Eylen's characters (VinnieTheDark was his IRC nick, and one of his most prominent characters was Vinnie, in Darka; I don't recall where LemonTree was based).  He started that page way back in the day—on the TikiWiki, as I recall—and it eventually became the go-to place for fame theories.  And remains so even today, long after Vinnie left the game and most people don't remember or never knew him.
Timothy Collett

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 09, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

the course of events you described seems to be ultimately unnatural - you are likely ooc invited to some specific realm, you already ooc explained that you are old player who knows the ropes,  so suddenly you ended with 300 gold, money that many diligent players do not see for years, you are given trust and confidence though nobody could know your green and unproved char at all, so there is no any rp-ing background, and all that happens on continent that was proud to call herself rp-ing continent once.

I like what you wrote in there. However, I would like to hear an opinion on my own happening and whether people find it good or bad. In 2007/8 I started the Arrakis family, played with them for like 2 years, and the family became relatively known. Then I deleted the account, tried with a few new families but the feeling was nowhere near the old ones, so I've recreated the Arrakis account like a year ago. I made all the new characters of course (there weren't any reincarnations of old ones), but the majority of them are roleplayed as sons of the old characters from the old account. I've practically done this because of myself, as i get a lot of kicks in having a family with pretty large history behind it and the rp between different generations.

In the realms that I've joined with these new chars no one mattered much or objected when I've connected them to the old account. However, we have a situation now in ibladesh, where my new character Abraxas (relatively new, 1 year old account) is running for the ruler of Ibladesh. In my announcement letter I've mentioned his connection to Mythos (who was once a ruler of ibladesh and a pretty popular figure there); to be more precise: Abraxas is being roleplayed as a son of Mythos. Hence I mentioned he is royalty (in a perfect roleplay game i could have said he is a heir to the throne really, but i doubt the mindset of BM players would be ready to accept that). So, now I have a few players who said OOC and IC that that is pretty lame and stupid, as i can't connect those two accounts in any way, and their IC thesis was that he is fake. I have defended Abraxas pretty well IC, though. However, just to prove that Abraxas is not a fake, some other nobles even had to go that far to say that they remember him as he was a kid, running behind his father.

My question is this: how should a *good* BM player approach this subject? Should he go along with that which I find to be an interesting roleplay, or should he discard the roleplay simply because the game doesn't show any records of any Mythos ever existing on my new account? I have connected the two accounts via Wiki, but it is impossible to do in the in game family records.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:48:21 PM by Arrakis »
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 09, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
sometimes i grumble in attempt to illuminate something that looks as a problem, but it is always in hope that i would not be taken too seriously as we all know that there are instances which deal with matters in formal way, while this "general discussion" is supposed to be chat, isn't it? :-\

so, i do not pretend to be judging but to express my simple player's opinion about fair play.

what you described does not look so complex in my own view. when you put so much effort to develop your characters again, rp-ed links with previous family, is that really something to be objectionable? you even call your 1-year char too young.

what we are possibly talking about is something like "hey, guys (discussion on some chat), our city is in utmost danger, who will help us with new char slots quickly? you need to be in before 6 p.m or we are doomed" or something similar.

these two cases have very little in common in my opinion. whoever puts any, even minimal effort in his chars strongly differs from those who only press buttons and use their slots, and that is plainly visible to everyone.

Danlawer

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 09, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
LemonTree was one of Vincent van Eylen's characters (VinnieTheDark was his IRC nick, and one of his most prominent characters was Vinnie, in Darka; I don't recall where LemonTree was based).  He started that page way back in the day—on the TikiWiki, as I recall—and it eventually became the go-to place for fame theories.  And remains so even today, long after Vinnie left the game and most people don't remember or never knew him.

Hmm, that name sounds very familiar for me, as I know a guy with the same name... Wondering if he is the guy we are speaking about :P

Anyway, so I guess this topic keeps the search for the unknown fame points open :-D

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 09, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
My question is this: how should a *good* BM player approach this subject? Should he go along with that which I find to be an interesting roleplay, or should he discard the roleplay simply because the game doesn't show any records of any Mythos ever existing on my new account? I have connected the two accounts via Wiki, but it is impossible to do in the in game family records.
I could see the players taking this one of two ways, depending on their character's point of view or agenda.
  • Friends and allies of the character could believe and support the story. "Of course this is the son of Mythos. Anyone who is not blind can see the family resemblance. Indeed I saw this lad many times accompanying Mythos on some errand or other. Not only that, but look, he bears the Arrakis family signet, which I myself saw many times upon the hand of Mythos. Any who doubt the veracity of this claim cast doubt upon mine own integrity and judgment."
  • Political enemies and opponents could use the break in the family history as a potential reason to cast doubt upon the lineage of the family. Perhaps these characters really aren't the return of the Arrakis family? "These foul pretenders seek to take advantage of the good name and reputation of the most prestigious Arrakis family line! Do not fall prey to their wicked deceit and lies! My good friend colleague Mythos would roll over in his grave if he knew of the trickery these pretenders plot to bring about our downfall." Etc...

Remember when Dustin got pissed off and deleted the Kabrinski family? He recreated another account without telling anyone it was him, then outed himself, and tried to claim that the character was really Allison's son. Then he deleted that second account, and recreated the Kabrinski family, and created a new Allison character claiming it was the same person. Needless to say, recreating such a controversial character met with a lot of, well, controversy. :P  There are still people to this day that claim that the Allison on Dwilight is an impostor or a demon.

The key thing here is to remember that just because you want to tell a certain story doesn't mean everyone else is forced to play along. They can make up any story they want, just like you did. The break in the family line provides an opportunity to doubt the lineage of the family that is just as valid as a claim that they really are the same family. Yes, the RP opportunity to tie the two families together is pretty cool. But so is the RP chance to deny and cast aspersions on said claim. So, roll with it and see where it goes.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 09, 2011, 11:04:54 PM »
Yeah, I see your reasoning. I was slightly agitated that this subject was started with an OOC objection and not IC, but heck, it doesn't matter now 'cause he brought it IC as well. But as I said, I think I defended it pretty well and the majority of people are seeing reasoning behind my role play. This debate has actually casued the noble in question in a weird way to doubt the honesty of CoI's leader and one of the longest reigning rulers of Ibladesh, so I think it kinda backfired at him. Which is nice :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 09, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
Yeah, I see your reasoning. I was slightly agitated that this subject was started with an OOC objection and not IC, but heck, it doesn't matter now 'cause he brought it IC as well.
That can be annoying. But sometimes people like to OOC set the ground rules that govern the IC conflict. :) I think that if you managed to get the conversation moved IC, and handled it there, that you probably did a lot better than quite a few people ever managed.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 09, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
Thank you, mate :)