Author Topic: Searching for Sages and Wizards  (Read 35528 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Searching for Sages and Wizards
« Reply #15: August 10, 2011, 11:48:46 PM »
oh, one thing I should point out:

Sages and wizards are now under Quests, not Items.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 11, 2011, 03:40:04 AM »
Hmmm, I might hire some people, eventually, to track down these wizards.

Couldn't care less for the sages though. Unique items deteriorate way too fast, one spends more time giving them to advies for fixing than waving them around. If at least they didn't disappear at 0%, but rather became temporarily unusable...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Huntsmaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 11, 2011, 04:07:57 AM »
Unique items deteriorate way too fast, one spends more time giving them to advies for fixing than waving them around. If at least they didn't disappear at 0%, but rather became temporarily unusable...

Might be more for the adventurers to do then, too.
Agiri (Carelia) Tinwe (Greater Aenilia) Ayrl (Fissoa) Wyllham (IVF)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 11, 2011, 04:15:21 AM »
Might be more for the adventurers to do then, too.

I wouldn't think so, as instead of buying every unique that shows up, paying good gold for them, and maintaining them in good shape, I just stopped caring about them altogether. Especially since you can lose them (for good) just by getting a light wound in battle. Absolutely not worth the hassle. Even that +8 prestige +10% infiltration armor I had... dropped it due to a light wound, never found it again. Wouldn't have repaired it anymore, though, as it basically needed to be passed back to the adventurer every week. What's the point of me wasting my time to meet with the advy and then the advy wasting materials if the item is never used?

Unlike scrolls, who actually have (or will have) an interesting effect and do not deteriorate. I'd rather unique items be as rare are scrolls and as enduring, rather than just these cardboard trinkets that fall apart in a week even if not actually used in battle.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Huntsmaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 11, 2011, 05:37:31 AM »
I wouldn't think so, as instead of buying every unique that shows up, paying good gold for them, and maintaining them in good shape, I just stopped caring about them altogether. Especially since you can lose them (for good) just by getting a light wound in battle. Absolutely not worth the hassle. Even that +8 prestige +10% infiltration armor I had... dropped it due to a light wound, never found it again. Wouldn't have repaired it anymore, though, as it basically needed to be passed back to the adventurer every week. What's the point of me wasting my time to meet with the advy and then the advy wasting materials if the item is never used?

Unlike scrolls, who actually have (or will have) an interesting effect and do not deteriorate. I'd rather unique items be as rare are scrolls and as enduring, rather than just these cardboard trinkets that fall apart in a week even if not actually used in battle.

Heh. I was agreeing with you. If items became unusable at 0% durability instead of turning to ash and blowing away, then adventurers might have more repairing to do.
Agiri (Carelia) Tinwe (Greater Aenilia) Ayrl (Fissoa) Wyllham (IVF)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 11, 2011, 08:35:57 AM »
I'm going to get rid of my items as well, I think. A waste of good money, it seems.
Or it should be the case that items give you a higher chance of earning H/P in battle or something.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 11, 2011, 08:51:48 AM »
I'm going to get rid of my items as well, I think. A waste of good money, it seems.
Or it should be the case that items give you a higher chance of earning H/P in battle or something.

While i suspect items may be rarer with the new system, it still would not improve their value. They are ultimately baubles for the rich and powerful, nothing more.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 11, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »
Alrighty, no one else has posted an encounter under the new system, so I will:

"You have encountered a sage, a wise man, known as Tuhk Taruk. People say he is double-bearded. It is rumoured by many that he has magical powers. He and his kind are the only people capable of repairing and sometimes even improving unique items."

Even when I used up hours he was still there, so I assume sages can now be encountered in the region at any time (by anyone?) until they travel to a different one.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 11, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
Am I the only one wondering what a double beard is?
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 11, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
I'm not sure either, but I assume it's a really long beard, tied into two bunches.

Or maybe this:

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #25: August 11, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
Couldn't care less for the sages though. Unique items deteriorate way too fast,

you think? By my estimates, most of them are good for months before they need repair.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #26: August 11, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
Even when I used up hours he was still there, so I assume sages can now be encountered in the region at any time (by anyone?) until they travel to a different one.

Yes, he is not dependent on your hours anymore. That's one of the changes you will like.

And congratulations. You're the first posting an encounter, and there's quite a bit of info to be gained from that for the people who want to find out how the new system works.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 11, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
I think special items would be more attractive if they actually provided some benefit beyond a prestige bonus and a very odd skill bonus.

A piece of armour could reduce the chance of  getting wounded in battle, a weapon could increase the chance of wounding someone , a book or parchment could increase effectivity of unit and/or academy training or slow skill deteoriation and accessories could have some random effect from item to item...

Or maybe they already work like this but if they do it is very hard to spot empirically...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:06:56 AM by Thunthorn »
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 11, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Whenever I receive/buy a unique item, I just hand it off to someone else unless it was specifically given to me to use in battle.

It's a nice gift and I really can't be bothered to keep it in a good condition myself. For one thing you're relying on personal contact with peasants. For another, after you've been through that horrible smelly experience, you have to do it all over again a little later or it has been for nought. It kind of feels like a waste of a nobleman's time.
It's understandable that only adventurers can find uniques, but afterwards I'd expect my good old castle-smith to be able to repair them, and if he can't I'd want to get me a new one.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 11, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »

"You have encountered a sage, a wise man, known as Tuhk Taruk. People say he is double-bearded. It is rumoured by many that he has magical powers. He and his kind are the only people capable of repairing and sometimes even improving unique items."

"It is rumoured by many" sounds like the rumours about undead and monsters. I wonder if that means that imposters roam the lands as well as real sages?

Tom said a lot of info is to be had here, but I can't see anything other than that.

I also suppose Sages will follow a set trajectory. If there are less sages than before, small realms might suffer from this.