Author Topic: Veinsormoot (Split from Luria Nova thread)  (Read 60255 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Veinsormoot (Split from Luria Nova thread)
« Reply #75: September 11, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »
On the FEI our religion pays almost exclusively out of the Global treasury for some  (most of) our smaller temples.  Only the major ones have a large bank account, and they support the smaller ones when global treasury is restocked.

How many temples do you have?

While this is always possible, of course, it turns a financial burden into an greater money pit...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: September 12, 2011, 05:11:54 PM »
Is there a thread discussing the religion taxes issue elsewhere? I say this not because I object to discussing it here, I'm just curious as to whether there is a rationale for it laid out somewhere. Throughout basically all of western history, religions have been exempt from regular taxation. Sometimes Church assets were seized, but that is already reflected in the ability to loot and sack temples. Game mechanics-wise, I don't see that there's anything wrong with how things work now, so I'm a little confused about why they would make this change, which will indeed make it *much* more annoying to maintain temples.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: September 12, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
From a game balance perspective, I *believe* that Taxes are introduced because Temples are used too much as Banks, which I can agree with.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: September 12, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
From a game balance perspective, I *believe* that Taxes are introduced because Temples are used too much as Banks, which I can agree with.

Well you can already use Secret Societies this way, so it wouldn't exactly plug the hole... And furthermore, using religions as a tax shelter is almost as old as taxes are. Besides, there are risks in storing your gold this way. A call for funds for the Global Treasury, for example, would take 10% of whatever you had stashed. You could be kicked out of the religion. Or some Elder could walk into your temple and walk out with the goods. Or both.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: September 12, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »
Religion/SS taxing split off to a separate thread over in Helpline.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #80: September 12, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
splitting from a split off thread. Nice.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: September 27, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
So. is Asylon part of the Veinsmoot? And why is that area called the Veinsmoot? I've always wondered where you go the name.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: September 27, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
Asylon isn't part of it, but has observer status basically. The Maroccidens refers to the geographical area. The Véinsørmoot refers to the Guild through which Barca, D'Hara and Terran do a lot of their bickering with observer Realms joining in as well, more of a political entity. It was set up by Hireshmont, former Duke of Chesney, set up by Hireshmont and naturally grew to become this political platform for these three Realms. You will have to ask him for the origins of the name :)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: September 27, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »
Asylon isn't part of it, but has observer status basically. The Maroccidens refers to the geographical area. The Véinsørmoot refers to the Guild through which Barca, D'Hara and Terran do a lot of their bickering with observer Realms joining in as well, more of a political entity. It was set up by Hireshmont, former Duke of Chesney, set up by Hireshmont and naturally grew to become this political platform for these three Realms. You will have to ask him for the origins of the name :)

So. is Asylon part of the Veinsmoot? And why is that area called the Veinsmoot? I've always wondered where you go the name.

Pretty sure I remember Hireshy saying it is just a word he made up. The 'Moot started as a just guild and basically became the name of the Maroccidental Alliance because the guild was already in place for cultural reasons and worked well and because no one proposed a better name for the alliance. I think it's pretty awesome.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: September 28, 2011, 12:17:26 AM »
I went through a phase where I was reading the Icelandic sagas. I liked how the words looked. I liked the idea of a "meeting place," hence Moot. Véinsør is total nonsense that seemed like a neat first part of the word. When I don't feel like typing special characters I just call it the Moot.

And apparently right now the legislative bodies of Terran, D'Hara, and Barca are all running around thinking they can make independent foreign policy without consulting Grand Imperator Hireshmont. Silly Barcans and their Lurian propensities for divisiveness.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: September 28, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »
You can leave Luria, but Luria never leaves you!
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: September 28, 2011, 02:28:51 AM »
Asylon is apart of the Messocidens (Middle-Dwilight) not the Marrocidens (Low Western-Dwilight) and only an observer in the Moot.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: September 28, 2011, 02:44:57 AM »
iv. No realm may be admitted to this agreement unless it has at least 1 city or stronghold within Maroccidens or Mesoccidens, meaning that Asylon and Aurvandil could be eligible, but Caerwyn and Madina are not, as of the date of this treaty's drafting

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/V%C3%A9ins%C3%B8rmoot/Treaty_of_the_Maroccidens

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: September 28, 2011, 05:23:24 AM »
I went through a phase where I was reading the Icelandic sagas. I liked how the words looked. I liked the idea of a "meeting place," hence Moot. Véinsør is total nonsense that seemed like a neat first part of the word. When I don't feel like typing special characters I just call it the Moot.

And apparently right now the legislative bodies of Terran, D'Hara, and Barca are all running around thinking they can make independent foreign policy without consulting Grand Imperator Hireshmont. Silly Barcans and their Lurian propensities for divisiveness.

I can *never* remember the first part, and am forced to always call it the 'moot.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: September 28, 2011, 05:27:58 AM »
I can *never* remember the first part, and am forced to always call it the 'moot.

I have no idea how to make those symbols appear, so I just copy/paste when I need to be formal.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"