Author Topic: Regional financial changes  (Read 13676 times)

egamma

Re: Regional financial changes
« Reply #15: September 02, 2011, 01:19:53 PM »
I would support an easy option for the Region Lord to somehow pay for the expenses of his region with his own gold when the region runs a deficit and cannot pay militia, infrastructure etc.

Now THERE'S a change that would actually improve things. Losing 3000 worth of infrastructure due to too much food sales shouldn't happen if the lord is sitting in region with gold in his pocket.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 02, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
I would support an easy option for the Region Lord to somehow pay for the expenses of his region with his own gold when the region runs a deficit and cannot pay militia, infrastructure etc.

I think that would allow exploits: you could deploy just as much militia as you want, regardless of the region's income, as long as someone else funds you. I don't think this was something desirable.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 02, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
Why would this not be desirable?  I am certain that border regions in countries/empires did not produce enough gold to man the militia defending them.  That gold came from elsewhere, why should we not do the same here?  If a wealthy duke wants to keep the fighting away from his/her city, why not pay for militia to be placed in the poor region which would block access?

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 02, 2011, 02:54:45 PM »
Why would this not be desirable?  I am certain that border regions in countries/empires did not produce enough gold to man the militia defending them.  That gold came from elsewhere, why should we not do the same here?  If a wealthy duke wants to keep the fighting away from his/her city, why not pay for militia to be placed in the poor region which would block access?

I guess because a lot of wars would become infinite stalemates: if the front is narrow and you can clog it with militia, war would boil down to the one that micromanages gold flow the better to keep said militia in place.

As things are now, if you want to win a war you have no choice but to dump money into nobles (players!) and organize them the best you can to face the enemy.

While perhaps the first could be more realistic, the second is definitely more fun. Especially for those who are not allowed to play with gold an militia (knights)

egamma

« Reply #19: September 02, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
I guess because a lot of wars would become infinite stalemates: if the front is narrow and you can clog it with militia, war would boil down to the one that micromanages gold flow the better to keep said militia in place.

As things are now, if you want to win a war you have no choice but to dump money into nobles (players!) and organize them the best you can to face the enemy.

While perhaps the first could be more realistic, the second is definitely more fun. Especially for those who are not allowed to play with gold an militia (knights)

Eh, right now you can use investments to fund very high militia levels. You know any noble in your realm can invest in any region, assuming they have sufficient family gold? Your duke could easily send 500 gold to his family every week and invest in your poor border region.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 02, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
Eh, right now you can use investments to fund very high militia levels. You know any noble in your realm can invest in any region, assuming they have sufficient family gold? Your duke could easily send 500 gold to his family every week and invest in your poor border region.

This increases the threshold in a way that is absolutely on a different order of magnitude than what is proposed here, in my opinion.

egamma

« Reply #21: September 02, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »
Fine then. Make it so the lord's pocket only pays for buildings, not militia.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 03, 2011, 03:42:15 AM »
No I see no massive improvements. My other consideration is that I'm not aware of the full extent of the changes for the new estate and economic system, and whether these changed proposals will remain relevant at all in that context. But really nothing here is compelling enough to make me think it would be a priority, and in that case I would rather see how the game develops with other proposals that are in development.

This idea has SO much potential. The most beneficial one that I can think of right now, would prevent what Chenier said happened to Paisly (which I witnessed by the way, it was not pleasant). A vault idea can show you daily changes to tax collection, maintenance costs, predicted knight tax share, trade balance, etc. As it stands, there is no simple way to track a trade balance and predict these maintenance fees. I know I've had to bust out the calculator a few times to do some number crunching. I mean, as it stands, you won't know if you bankrupt your region until taxes are collected. And if you ARE about to bankrupt it, or the militia will auto disband, etc, why not have a system in place where the region lord will have a chance to prevent the disaster by depositing the 150 gold he was saving for the next block on his new walls?

Also I rather enjoy the notion of the lord having a mechanic available to segregate gold he intends on spending on himself and/or sending to his family from gold he wants to use on the region. I've done some mental math on that one, then forget how much I spent and on what, so end up waiting for more taxes to come in so I don't find myself broke.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 06, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »
There will be no substantial changes to region economies until after the new estate system is developed and extensively tested. After that happens, you will almost certainly need to re-evaluate your ideas. Chances are that at least some of this will no longer be applicable.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

acrandal

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 06, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
There will be no substantial changes to region economies until after the new estate system is developed and extensively tested. After that happens, you will almost certainly need to re-evaluate your ideas. Chances are that at least some of this will no longer be applicable.

In that case, I shall bide my time and re-evaluate later.  I've got plenty to do in RL anyway.

Any word on the long-awaited updates to the trade system (ie: more goods to ship about)?  Just wondering....

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 06, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
Any facets of the new economy, such as wood, metal, stone, etc. are far out on the long range radar. More like the Five Year Plan than anything else. There is a lot of other stuff that needs to happen before more trade goods are a viable option. The New Estates is one of those things.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 08, 2011, 12:52:07 AM »
Any facets of the new economy, such as wood, metal, stone, etc. are far out on the long range radar. More like the Five Year Plan than anything else. There is a lot of other stuff that needs to happen before more trade goods are a viable option. The New Estates is one of those things.

I can't remember... why were they taken out? We did have steel for a while, not sure if stone and wood ever worked though but I think steel did.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 08, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »
Metal is listed in a few places. You're told how much metal it would take to do unit repairs, for example.). FEI even has wood listed as a resource in several places. But none of it actually does (did) anything. It was removed from Dwilight daily reports for that exact reason: Pointless cluttering of the message system with meaningless junk.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 09, 2011, 03:01:12 AM »
Metal is listed in a few places. You're told how much metal it would take to do unit repairs, for example.). FEI even has wood listed as a resource in several places. But none of it actually does (did) anything. It was removed from Dwilight daily reports for that exact reason: Pointless cluttering of the message system with meaningless junk.

But wasn't it implemented on testing for a little while? I remember seeing them on BT, and people talking about iron and everything, but it might have just been a preview phase that got removed afterwards. Kinda like armies' organization %.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 09, 2011, 03:15:42 AM »
But wasn't it implemented on testing for a little while? I remember seeing them on BT, and people talking about iron and everything, but it might have just been a preview phase that got removed afterwards. Kinda like armies' organization %.

So far as I know it told you how much metal would be required, but it was text only, the region didn't actually NEED the metal for the repair.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.