Author Topic: ruler as a knight  (Read 7164 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
ruler as a knight
« Topic Start: September 07, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
ruler was holding estate in one region which is lost, and now he cannot offer oath to new lord as he "cannot change allegiance being a ruler".

how that works? can region lord offer ruler an oath and can he accept it?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: ruler as a knight
« Reply #1: September 07, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »
Yes, the ruler's place in the hierarchy is hopelessly screwed up.

The New Estates will fix that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 07, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »
how that works? can region lord offer ruler an oath and can he accept it?
Currently, no.

When elected ruler, you keep your oath. From what I understand from a few players is that the lord can even renegotiate the oath. However, the ruler cannot swear a new oath to another lord, and no lords can offer an oath to the ruler. Yes, it is a bit wacky
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cjnodell

« Reply #3: September 07, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »
Wacky perhaps but I prefer it that way. I would even prefer that all council members be unable to have an oath (existing or new). It muddles the hierarchy more that I like.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 07, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
Wacky perhaps but I prefer it that way. I would even prefer that all council members be unable to have an oath (existing or new). It muddles the hierarchy more that I like.

And no personal income? What about democracies, with shifting positions?

Good to see the Ruler's position will soon be fixed. Ruling a realm and swearing fealty to a region feels wrong :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 07, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
And no personal income? What about democracies, with shifting positions?
Such is the price you pay for flexibility.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 07, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
Surely the other councilors would swear fealty to the Monarch or Tyrant, and in a Republic or Democracy to the people, in a Theocracy to God? Having people outside of feudal hierarchy would be worse than it is now.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 07, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
I believe all Nobles are aligned to a region now (with or without Estate), if I remember correctly. Rulers are aligned to a region in the same way. The Lord of that Region can offer the Ruler an Oath for an Estate via the Nobles aligned to this Region section. Others can't since then it tells you Government Members can't be send Oath Offers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:50:04 PM by Telrunya »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 07, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »
I believe that if they don't already have an oath for a tax percentage, that they cannot be offered an oath. Renegotiation is a different process than offering an oath. And if you don't already have an oath for a tax percentage, then there is nothing to renegotiate.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 07, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »
Currently, no.

When elected ruler, you keep your oath. From what I understand from a few players is that the lord can even renegotiate the oath. However, the ruler cannot swear a new oath to another lord, and no lords can offer an oath to the ruler. Yes, it is a bit wacky

Actually, there is.

I don't recall how exactly, but after our Premier was elected we managed to get him an oath in Paisly.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 07, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
Yes, that was because Marche was still aligned to Paisly as a Noble (Losing his Duke position). Via the Nobles aligned to this Region section at the Your Knights page the new Duke of Paisly could still offer an Oath to Marche even though he was the Ruler (Offer Oaths page doesn't work). However I don't know if that's still the case.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 07, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
I think so. My character in Fissoa recently was elected Ruler recently. He was offered an oath in the region he had previously been Lord of. So far I assumed the Ruler could receive a tax share in any region, so I guess I'm very lucky with my current position :)

So do most Rulers get their money out of the realm taxes?

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 08, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »
When one of my characters was King, the Dukes were transferring gold to him manually.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 08, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »
When one of my characters was King, the Dukes were transferring gold to him manually.
So much for being a sovereign ruler :S Though I guess having all Dukes pay you can force some peer pressure :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: September 08, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »
this will soon change...