Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1084002 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #3960: May 21, 2014, 04:06:11 AM »
If I had this mentality when Enoch was Regent, SA would have been dismantled, more than a few people would have quit, and you would have been up in arms that it was 'not playing with friends'.
That particular topic has been well-debated in different thread. (Or ten threads...) We will have to agree to disagree on what happened there, and why. Suffice it to say that we disagree. (Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing. If we all agreed on everything, this game would be pretty boring.)

Anywho... The statement I made applies to more than just the current Asylon v. Astrum war. I was pretty careful to edit my message to specifically NOT cast blame on anyone. Everything I said applies equally to both Asylon and Astrum. (And quite a few other situations I could start reeling off.) Both realms sniped at each other and pissed each other off. They fought a couple wars. In the end, one realm was almost certainly fated to wipe out the other. It nearly turned out to be both being wiped out. However, Astrum will still have to live with the fact that it wiped out Asylon. (At least according to what I read on the forums. I don't play on Dwilight right now.) That means a bunch pf pissed off Asylon nobles wanting revenge. It just may come back to bite them in the ass some day long in the future. (The name Coimbra is still bandied about on EC despite being dead for over nine years!)

I agree that it is unwarranted for people to say Astrum/Morek don't know how to play BM, but it is equally unwarranted to say Asylon deserved it. Asylon got dealt an exceptionally !@#$ hand by unusual circumstances. If you think 'the butcher's bill' includes GM interference then one of us really is playing the wrong game and should leave.
I did NOT say that Asylon deserved to die, and especially not at the hands of a developer-induced event. What I said was the your actions have consequences. Astrum spent years making Asylon angry, mostly by ignoring Asylon's attempts to be relevant. This eventually resulted in huge consequences for Astrum when Asylon (who eventually did become relevant) and two other realms decided to take them down. Asylon spent years pissing Astrum off, for many little reasons, and a couple  big ones. This eventually resulted in Astrum taking the opportunity to finally put a bullet in Asylon's head when it got the chance.

Does this mean Asylon "deserved" to die? Nope. At least, not more than any realm deserves to die. But the actions that they took in the past set up the events that led to what happened to them. If they had been friendlier with Astrum, maybe Astrum would have let them keep that city. If Astrum had been friendlier with Asylon, maybe Asylon would have never attacked Astrum in the first place.

Which all goes back to what I was trying to say in the first place: "Hello, Actions. I'd like to introduce you to your progeny: Consequences."
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.