Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1037943 times)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #2595: April 18, 2013, 02:04:22 AM »
The charter also doesn't define the word "is". It's not a dictionary.

This.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596: April 18, 2013, 03:23:30 AM »
The charter also doesn't define the word "is". It's not a dictionary.

Except "is" isn't the term being contested. "Theocracy", however, is.

There's a reason why debates have a part at the beginning wherein terms and concepts are defined. It provides a common ground for the debate to even begin, before splitting up into the different views. Otherwise, no debate is possible: We are debating regarding the merits of red over blue, but if your 'blue' is actually my 'green' because of a lack of definition, then the entire thing is pointless.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2597: April 18, 2013, 03:27:10 AM »
Except "is" isn't the term being contested. "Theocracy", however, is.

There's a reason why debates have a part at the beginning wherein terms and concepts are defined. It provides a common ground for the debate to even begin, before splitting up into the different views. Otherwise, no debate is possible: We are debating regarding the merits of red over blue, but if your 'blue' is actually my 'green' because of a lack of definition, then the entire thing is pointless.

Which is why I asked for the Church's definition of theocracy, as Articles X and XI don't provide one. I feel as though this whole thing hinges upon defining that IC. Have fun guys.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598: April 18, 2013, 03:56:49 AM »
Have fun guys.
Oh, definitely. However it turns out, much fun will be had.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599: April 18, 2013, 05:08:54 AM »
Saying "So bam" doesn't prove a point, especially when there is little, or no evidence or explanation backing any of your arguments.

Every SA theocracy is lead by a heretic? Let me check.... Oh wait, they're not. However, when you look at D'hara, it is beyond all doubts, a Monarchy. It has a King. Granted it has a constitution, and embraces some vaguely republican ideals, but it is still a monarchy.

FR had a chance to be a theocracy. They spit in the church's eye and chose to place Republican ideology above the Church. That is the most important thing everyone is missing here. If you place another ideal above the church, guess what the makes you? Not a theocracy. That is the absolute most defining portion of a theocracy, is that the Church is held above all else.
Theocracy means rule by God or gods and refers primarily to an internal "rule of the heart", especially in its biblical application... The common, generic use of the term, as defined above in terms of rule by a church or analogous religious leadership, would be more accurately described as an ecclesiocracy... An ecclesiocracy, on the other hand, is a situation where the religious leaders assume a leading role in the state, but do not claim that they are instruments of divine revelation.
As to D'hara, it is a monarchy, but simply stating it as a monarchy is extremely misleading as it is inaccurate, which I believe goes with FR. It is a republic yes, but it is truly a theocratic republic.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600: April 18, 2013, 05:41:00 AM »
D'hara is a constitutional monarchy. FR is a "theocratic" republic. However Republic is the noun and thus what defines the government. Now if you had a Republican Theocracy, that would be different. Semantics yes, but FR made such a big deal about it when formed that semantics are important.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601: April 18, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
As to D'hara, it is a monarchy, but simply stating it as a monarchy is extremely misleading as it is inaccurate, which I believe goes with FR. It is a republic yes, but it is truly a theocratic republic.

A realm that has to be dragged kicking and screaming to pass even the most basic "theocratic" laws, hardly qualifies as "theocratic".

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #2602: April 18, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
A realm that has to be dragged kicking and screaming to pass even the most basic "theocratic" laws, hardly qualifies as "theocratic".

Ahh, but they HAVE passed them...
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603: April 18, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
D'hara is a constitutional monarchy. FR is a "theocratic" republic. However Republic is the noun and thus what defines the government. Now if you had a Republican Theocracy, that would be different. Semantics yes, but FR made such a big deal about it when formed that semantics are important.

This!

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604: April 18, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »

Not so. All our laws came of FRs free will when requested by Vellos. The kicking and screaming came from the church when we passed the open preaching law which we then revoked by a new vote.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605: April 18, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
Passing an open preaching law and triggering serious debate about excommunicating your ruler for allowing a convicted heretic into the realm doesn't qualify as good theocratic behavior.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606: April 18, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
the·oc·ra·cy 
/THēˈäkrəsē/
Noun
A system of government in which priests rule in the name of God or a god.

Theocracies don't exist in BM
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607: April 18, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »
Wait, the Charter provides NO GUIDANCE WHATSOEVER ABOUT HOW TO DEFINE THEOCRACY?

Oh my goodness! What an ACCIDENTAL OVERSIGHT!

Wait a second... Astrum and Morek and Corsanctum don't abide by all the responsibilities listed?

ZOMG! How could the person writing the Charter have been so careless!

I don't know what to say, guys, this is all just one big terrible mixup that the Farronite Republic might be more eligible for theocratic status than Morek! I swear I didn't mean it!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Daimall

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608: April 18, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
Why does everybody talks as if though Niselur did not exist?!?  :'(

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609: April 18, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
What's Niselur?