Author Topic: Jousting tournoment  (Read 15484 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Jousting tournoment
« Reply #45: November 17, 2011, 07:09:21 AM »
True. Some of them don't seem to be wearing much armor either, though.

Does anyone have a source saying how horses were equipped for these things? 'Cause putting armor on them to protect them from the sticks and splinters would make a lot of sense, especially since speed wasn't as useful as it might be on the battlefield and since lower speeds are less likely to result in serious injury.

I'm not sure knights went out of their way to avoid injury. My understand was the whole fatal aspect was part of the allure.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: November 17, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »
I'm not sure knights went out of their way to avoid injury. My understand was the whole fatal aspect was part of the allure.

They wore armor, did they not?

I'm not saying they weren't willing to take any risks, but I believe that even at low speeds you have enough risk. I doubt they wanted people to die every second joust.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: November 17, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »
Well, given that they wore much heavier armor when jousting than fighting, and used blunted weapons . . . I'd say so.

I think horses wore pretty heavy armor -- a good warhorse was quite valuable, after all.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: November 17, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »
Well, given that they wore much heavier armor when jousting than fighting, and used blunted weapons . . . I'd say so.

I think horses wore pretty heavy armor -- a good warhorse was quite valuable, after all.

I don't think warhorses would be used for jousting. Also, I bet that if a horse was wounded or killed, the owner could demand compensation (in some cases).

Well, I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jousting No time to read now though, need to get to a lesson Greek Archaeology :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: November 17, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »

I've never heard that they wore different armour for jousting, that would certainly be quiet an extra expense on top of everything else. Certainly during the earliest jousting period, about 1070 plate armour wasn't used at all. Full plate armour wouldn't have been universal until about 1400 or so.

The only references I can find for "Jousting" armour is from the 15th and 16th century. By this stage the heavy cavalry tactics on which jousting was based had become obsolete, and Jousting had transformed into a sport with no military connection. As such its training aspect was no longer important, so heavy armor that restricted movement much more then was suitable for the battlefield could be used. Even during this period there was a lighter form of jousting without such excessive armour.

In terms of horse two types were used, the medium-weight horses bred and trained for agility and stamina known as warmblood Chargers, and the Heavy coldblood destriers. The heavy horses were actually slower but at twice the weight of a regular riding horse enabled a much greater impact force.

In terms of speed it would seem they used the Ambling pace for jousting, which is slower then a canter. This allowed the stability needed for aiming.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.