Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 433654 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #150: December 12, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
Oh god. That would be just ridiculous. It would seem like Tom trying to kill of continents one by one. At the end shutting down the whole BM!

I wouldn't go that far.  But it could serve as an interesting mechanic to handle playerbase size.  Playerbase goes down, more areas get Invaded.  Playerbase goes up, we push the Invaders back and reclaim lands.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #151: December 12, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
Keep hunting for those portal stones, suckers! *sharpens his daimon-cleaver*

Yup, we need to open more portals! :D
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #152: December 12, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
I wouldn't go that far.  But it could serve as an interesting mechanic to handle playerbase size.  Playerbase goes down, more areas get Invaded.  Playerbase goes up, we push the Invaders back and reclaim lands.

Hmm... That sounds a bit too insane but it is no doubt a good way to control the number of continents. But we should focus more on increasing playerbase rather than thinking of a way to reduce the number of continents.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: December 12, 2011, 10:21:27 PM »
Hmm... That sounds a bit too insane but it is no doubt a good way to control the number of continents. But we should focus more on increasing playerbase rather than thinking of a way to reduce the number of continents.

Personally, I think the game has just become too complicated and the learning curve for newbies too steep.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: December 12, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »

I would be concerned about springing Invasions on other islands. It's been an advertised feature of BT forever, so if you go to BT and find you don't like them you've only got yourself to blame. However, dropping the Invasion bomb on another island, while a vastly entertaining concept to me (especially regarding AT), might not exactly be fair to the many players who play there and have a reasonable expectation of not having their game completely turned on end by the sudden appearance of daimonic hordes.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: December 12, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »
I would be concerned about springing Invasions on other islands. It's been an advertised feature of BT forever, so if you go to BT and find you don't like them you've only got yourself to blame. However, dropping the Invasion bomb on another island, while a vastly entertaining concept to me (especially regarding AT), might not exactly be fair to the many players who play there and have a reasonable expectation of not having their game completely turned on end by the sudden appearance of daimonic hordes.

True.

Much like dropping mortality on people.

A vote could be held on each continent, though, to ask the players of that continent "would you be willing to accept invasions to occur on this continent?". The continent with the highest approval rate, as long as it's above 50% (or 66%), could be then chosen as the next candidate.

Zakilevo

« Reply #156: December 12, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
Maybe we should try to make smaller steps to guide noobies? Like small quests?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #157: December 12, 2011, 10:53:59 PM »
Maybe we should try to make smaller steps to guide noobies? Like small quests?

It's hard to "train" newbies in social games like this one.

Zakilevo

« Reply #158: December 12, 2011, 10:57:48 PM »
That is why mentors should give out small quests? Maybe there should be a checklist of things which mentors can check with their mouse cursor for each individual student.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: December 12, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
That is why mentors should give out small quests? Maybe there should be a checklist of things which mentors can check with their mouse cursor for each individual student.

Like what? "Go over there, do X, then come back" isn't really what BM's all about.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: December 12, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »
Personally, I think the game has just become too complicated and the learning curve for newbies too steep.

Fun fact: a steep learning curve means something is easy to learn.

A little counter-intuitive and a common misconception.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161: December 12, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
Fun fact: a steep learning curve means something is easy to learn.

A little counter-intuitive and a common misconception.

How so?

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: December 12, 2011, 11:26:36 PM »
As a relatively new player there were a few moments where I was slapping myself in the forehead after figuring out how something works (Like Student being an actual character class rather than just an honorific sort of thing), but discovering new things has a sort of excitement to it still since there's not a real manual to it. I may be in the minority, but it makes me really look forward to stuff like an adventurer turning noble, or trying out any of the classes besides Warrior.

If they go anywhere else, I hope it's Atamara. It'd certainly shake up the status quo to have daimon pirates raiding Calis by sea or... however they'd launch their trans-continental crusade.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #163: December 12, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
If they go anywhere else, I hope it's Atamara. It'd certainly shake up the status quo to have daimon pirates raiding Calis by sea or... however they'd launch their trans-continental crusade.

Portals my friend. Beware the Portal stones. Or, alternately, go get em' if you really want to see an AT invasion. I think it takes 8?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #164: December 12, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »
Portals my friend. Beware the Portal stones. Or, alternately, go get em' if you really want to see an AT invasion. I think it takes 8?

They don't actually work anywhere else than on BT, for now at least.

However, it'd be interesting if, on the continent chosen for an invasion, it does not trigger until some advy actually does collect the portal stones and opens a portal himself.

Would be quite amusing if humans brought the invaders to their own lands.