Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437567 times)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #165: December 13, 2011, 12:47:35 AM »
How so?

The original meaning of "steep learning curve" and the meaning still maintained in most* academic formats is that a steep learning curve implies rapid progress in learning at the introductory stage.

The phrase has deviated from it's original meaning in colloquial conversation where it has come to refer to difficulty during the elementary stages.

*It's pretty much universally accepted that the original meaning was "easy to learn" but that hasn't stopped smart and well informed academics from arguing that the newer, conversational interpretation of the phrase is acceptable even within an academic setting. So really, you're not wrong, but you could be more right.

I don't mean to go off topic but being informed never hurt anyone and I found this interesting when I first heard it.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: December 13, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »
Heh, I guess it makes sense. Kinda like "large scale" and "small scale": these terms are burrowed from geography, where a large scale actually means a very small area. Mind you, even we geographers are all confused by that now.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #167: December 13, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »
The original meaning of "steep learning curve" and the meaning still maintained in most* academic formats is that a steep learning curve implies rapid progress in learning at the introductory stage.

The phrase has deviated from it's original meaning in colloquial conversation where it has come to refer to difficulty during the elementary stages.

*It's pretty much universally accepted that the original meaning was "easy to learn" but that hasn't stopped smart and well informed academics from arguing that the newer, conversational interpretation of the phrase is acceptable even within an academic setting. So really, you're not wrong, but you could be more right.

I don't mean to go off topic but being informed never hurt anyone and I found this interesting when I first heard it.

Got a cite on this?

Not 'cause I disbelieve you, but because I'm always fascinated by evolving languages :)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #168: December 13, 2011, 02:30:25 AM »
I totally thought I'd get yelled at for being off topic and pretentiousness, but yeah.. I'm also fascinated by language.

I know Wikipedia isn't the most credible source, but the citations on the "learning curve" page looked pretty legit. One source that particularly stood out was:

7. Laparoscopic Colon Resection Early in the Learning Curve", Ann Surg. 2006 June; 243(6): 730–737, see the "Discussions" section, Dr. Smith's remark about the usage of the term "steep learning curve":

"First, semantics. A steep learning curve is one where you gain proficiency over a short number of trials. That means the curve is steep. I think semantically we are really talking about a prolonged or long learning curve. I know it is a subtle distinction, but I can't miss the opportunity to make that point."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_curve
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #169: December 13, 2011, 03:25:53 AM »
They don't actually work anywhere else than on BT, for now at least.

However, it'd be interesting if, on the continent chosen for an invasion, it does not trigger until some advy actually does collect the portal stones and opens a portal himself.

Would be quite amusing if humans brought the invaders to their own lands.

Well it would be an amusing way to settle which island is the next one to get smoked, right? Why, whichever one is foolish enough to allow someone to make use of some portal stones. A little tinkering to make sure they start showing up more often (and that they actually do something sinister when activated), and your pot is on to boil...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: December 13, 2011, 04:49:45 AM »
Well it would be an amusing way to settle which island is the next one to get smoked, right? Why, whichever one is foolish enough to allow someone to make use of some portal stones. A little tinkering to make sure they start showing up more often (and that they actually do something sinister when activated), and your pot is on to boil...

Well, yes and no. I wouldn't determine which continent gets targeted this way, personally, as one player should not get to decide over such matters for everyone. For example, I would have great pleasure to go and do that on the EC, but that wouldn't be fair to the people who actually invested themselves on that island for all this time.

I would have a global vote to select which continent, and take the continent with the highest approval rate as the next target. However, leaving the timing of the next invasion to adventurers sounds fine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:08:52 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #171: December 13, 2011, 05:48:55 AM »
Why do I suddenly picture Advies being murdered in mass numbers on all continents?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: December 13, 2011, 06:09:26 AM »
Why do I suddenly picture Advies being murdered in mass numbers on all continents?

Crank up the rogue spawns on the chosen island, so that if they try to prevent an invasion by killing all advies, they'll provoke one through rogue spawns themselves. :P

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #173: December 13, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »
highest approval? not lowest? XD
firefox

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #174: December 13, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
 :o Beluaterra already dead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs&feature=fvwrel

Starring:

Not so dead man - Beluaterra
Son of not so dead man - Several nobles
Caretaker - ..... (You fill in)

Now lets return to winning this fight :D
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #175: December 13, 2011, 01:54:34 PM »
highest approval? not lowest? XD

It's only fair that those who get the pain are those who actually asked for it.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #176: December 13, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »
I've voted no on the referendum... I was very excited about the whole mortality thing last time but that was before I knew that the continent would be doomed if we lost. This time I know that every noble counts and I'd rather not see them fall as flies before the daimons' legions. It 'll be hard enough already.  :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: December 13, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »
Wimp.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #178: December 13, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »
I've voted no on the referendum... I was very excited about the whole mortality thing last time but that was before I knew that the continent would be doomed if we lost. This time I know that every noble counts and I'd rather not see them fall as flies before the daimons' legions. It 'll be hard enough already.  :)

Haha, completely opposite logic from me.

If we are to survive, then I don't want mortality so that I may continue to play with these characters I cherish and have taken quite some time to develop (even if they still remain very poorly developped compared to the other characters I lost to death).

If BT is gonna end anyways, and they'd be forced to emigrate to some other random inferior continent, then I'd rather just as well that they all die in a glorious wave of unstoppable destruction.

Mind you, in either case, I wouldn't want my chars to die early in the invasion. Missing out on the whole invasion because of some !@#$ luck due to a daimon ambush early on would suck.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #179: December 13, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »
I've voted no on the referendum...

I voted yes... Makes the risk all the more greater, and makes the island feel "real". I lost a character to mortality last time, but at least it finished him of in style. Mortality is what made the invasion all the more interesting, even though the percentage chance could get tweaked a bit.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell