Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437802 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #180: December 13, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »
Mortality didn't last all that long at all, so it couldn't have made it all that interesting unless you meant to say the rest of the invasion sucked.

Besides, you paused your other character after the invasion. You don't care for mortality 'cause you've apparently lost interest in inter-invasion BT anyways.

Which is something that kinda bothers me about this referendum. It gives an equal voice to everyone, regardless of how long they've been there or of how much they've invested themselves on the continent. A player with two characters there is doubly affected by the fate of BT than someone with just one, after all.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: December 13, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »
It's only fair that those who get the pain are those who actually asked for it.
ah.. and i thought you meant the "worst" island gets it in the whatsits.
firefox

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: December 13, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
Mortality didn't last all that long at all, so it couldn't have made it all that interesting unless you meant to say the rest of the invasion sucked.

Not at all, you are drawing the wrong conclusions from what I said. The fourth invasion was great, mortality only made it better.

Besides, you paused your other character after the invasion. You don't care for mortality 'cause you've apparently lost interest in inter-invasion BT anyways.

I have three characters on BT. One active advy, one active noble, with an additional paused noble.

What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #183: December 13, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »
Mortality is what has helped strangle the life from Beluaterra.  We lost far more nobles, and players, than we gained in the interim.

While we were all given the option of leaving first last time, even that doesn't feal right.  Abandoning things you've worked to build for years...

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: December 13, 2011, 11:04:49 PM »
While we were all given the option of leaving first last time, even that doesn't feal right.  Abandoning things you've worked to build for years...

Build things? And not expecting it to be completely destroyed? On Beluaterra?

That was your first mistake.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: December 13, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I don't think the possibility of losing it all was ever present before the fourth invasion, but I wasn't there before the third, so I can't really say for sure.

However, losing one's character without being a hero was never part of the deal. Agreeing to risk losing your realm and such things are one thing, but the risk of losing one's character is something completely different. Because, yea, realms would die. But everyone would always survive, move on to other realms, and then scheme recolonization. Mixing blood like that was a good thing to keep things alive, imo, and RP rich.

Due to all the deaths we had last time, it wouldn't have mattered if the lands weren't blighted, there wasn't enough nobles left for large waves of colonizations anyways.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: December 13, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »
However, losing one's character without being a hero was never part of the deal.

Yes it was. Mortality was announced a week before it was implemented and the consequences were explained very plainly. Admittedly it is a bit Vader-esque, but warning was given.
The Stefanovics live.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: December 13, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
Yes it was. Mortality was announced a week before it was implemented and the consequences were explained very plainly. Admittedly it is a bit Vader-esque, but warning was given.

No, that's not a deal, that's an ultimatum.

If I tell you "I'll go burn your house if you don't escape the country by the end of the week", and you decide to stay. Do I then get to say that burning your house was "part of the deal", because you chose to stay?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: December 14, 2011, 02:34:20 AM »
When you're playing a game, on the invasion island, on a testing server, in a game that regularly has paradigm changing things happening with little or no warning... Yeah,  it kinda is "part of the deal" of playing on that island. If you don't like things that can change to that extent, then don't play on the testing islands. You've been playing long enough to know that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: December 14, 2011, 03:04:29 AM »
When you're playing a game, on the invasion island, on a testing server, in a game that regularly has paradigm changing things happening with little or no warning... Yeah,  it kinda is "part of the deal" of playing on that island. If you don't like things that can change to that extent, then don't play on the testing islands. You've been playing long enough to know that.

Precisely, I've been playing on it pretty long, and death was never a part of that before it was imposed in the last invasion. Indeed, Tom had always opposed the idea of mortality for everyone, and the only thing different about BT is that realms died more often (due to large NPC armies stomping on them every now and then), and that we got to experience the code changes before everyone. For the latter, it was always the same as the other testing islands. And testing islands were never special, they simply got the changes *first*, but that doesn't mean they worked differently than how the other realms would eventually work like. They didn't get special stuff just because they were testing islands. They were just prone to more bugs.

Zakilevo

« Reply #190: December 14, 2011, 03:14:25 AM »
... 1st Son just became an infiltrator? He stole some gold from a city... bastard.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: December 14, 2011, 03:15:40 AM »
Precisely, I've been playing on it pretty long, and death was never a part of that before it was imposed in the last invasion. Indeed, Tom had always opposed the idea of mortality for everyone, and the only thing different about BT is that realms died more often (due to large NPC armies stomping on them every now and then), and that we got to experience the code changes before everyone. For the latter, it was always the same as the other testing islands. And testing islands were never special, they simply got the changes *first*, but that doesn't mean they worked differently than how the other realms would eventually work like. They didn't get special stuff just because they were testing islands. They were just prone to more bugs.

Before the first invasion, invasions had never happened before either :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: December 14, 2011, 04:22:47 AM »
They didn't get special stuff just because they were testing islands. They were just prone to more bugs.

Actually, they have, and they currently do. FEI and Dwilight were both testing islands when weather patterns were implemented. Both still have weather, but no other islands do.(though FEI is no longer on testing...)
The Stefanovics live.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: December 14, 2011, 05:37:54 AM »
Actually, they have, and they currently do. FEI and Dwilight were both testing islands when weather patterns were implemented. Both still have weather, but no other islands do.(though FEI is no longer on testing...)

I never understood why seasons weren't ported over to the other continents.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: December 14, 2011, 05:47:28 AM »
I never understood why seasons weren't ported over to the other continents.

Probably because seasons were never part of the deal. I mean they went for years without them, it would be cruel to inflict it upon them.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.