Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 433653 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #195: December 14, 2011, 07:17:49 AM »
Probably because seasons were never part of the deal. I mean they went for years without them, it would be cruel to inflict it upon them.

How so? It averages to the same. I always figured it'd eventually port over.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #196: December 14, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
For the record, last time we had mortality, for the little time it lasted, we lost 28 nobles against the monsters alone. 1 of these was from Bara'Khur and 1-3 of them from Avalon, I think. Here are the recorded names of the deceased:

• Adair Acies
  • Adrubal of Carthage
  • Anise Lancastershire
  • Blenessar Arnel
  • Borian Thierf
  • Callandor Harte
  • Colin Langdon
  • Crimson Garant
  • Daniel Gristwood
  • Dux Ducis
  • Elladan II Undomiel
  • Eoin Urishkan
  • Golrug Gellander
  • Hunter Julian
  • Javier Dela Cruz
  • King Bourdeux
  • Masha Blatkovetchkin
  • Nicolas Chénier
  • Pietr Castillo
  • Raag LongHi
  • Raphael Ironsides
  • Rild Harkonnen
  • Robin Langdon
  • Theseus Titan
  • Tipa Solacesta
  • Tonkotsu Vanimedle
  • Trigius Sarracenia
  • Valic Schumacher

Most of them were never seen again. Many of them quit the game altogether. Viewing reports of deaths in far away lands might have been "exciting" for those it didn't concern, but what it did was concentrate all power and influence in the few who remained. It's not that we crush all the opposition now, it's that there just isn't anyone left with any ambition. Our realms are ghosts of what they used to be and could have been.

If mortality kicks in, then I want everyone to die. Living in depopulated realm is not fun.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #197: December 14, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
we lost 28 nobles against the monsters alone. 1 of these was from Bara'Khur and 1-3 of them from Avalon, I think. Here are the recorded names of the deceased:

• /cut/

You kept a list... and deliberately forgot to include any Riombaran death? Wow.... I'm impressed. That's dedication. ;D
After all it's a roleplaying game.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #198: December 14, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
Now, I'm pretty sure most of the BT deaths were through execution, and not battle. Of that lengthy list of yours... how many actually died in battle?
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #199: December 14, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »
One of my characters died fighting the Undead.  As did at least one other Grehkian, but I'm positive there were more.  Unless they had more than one character, most didn't bother returning.  And even those that did...  Left to never come back.  Mortality hurt Beluaterra more than the invasion in its purest form did.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #200: December 14, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
You kept a list... and deliberately forgot to include any Riombaran death? Wow.... I'm impressed. That's dedication. ;D

Riombaran, Meshan... No one who wasn't part of the federation was included, apparently.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:11:59 PM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #201: December 14, 2011, 12:22:01 PM »
Thalmarkin lost about 10 nobles to the undead I think, 2 kings, 2 generals.

Mortality does provide for much more dynamic politics and that's why I like it but BT simply is the wrong continent to have it. Invasion time is not a time for internal politics. Besides, the loss of an NPC like a daimon leaderreally doesn't weigh up against the loss of a noble. Not to say that there didn't go any thought into the individual daimon NPCs or that their death doesn't hurt the daimons, but they /are/ just temporary characters. Designed to wreak havoc for a while and then disappear again whereas that is not the case with PCs.

Mortality needs to permanently be on a continent with human conflict, where it would really matter to kill the king of an enemy realm.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #202: December 14, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »

Well, yea, these things were recorded for propaganda purposes. I was running that propaganda machine pretty strong until Nicolas died. I never made a list of the deaths of others, and I'm not sure if others did, so I'm just stating what I have available: Enweili federation deaths.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #203: December 14, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
Now, I'm pretty sure most of the BT deaths were through execution, and not battle. Of that lengthy list of yours... how many actually died in battle?

All.

Might be one or two exceptions, though, that I am not aware of. Monster code made that they killed a lot more than they captured.

One of my characters died fighting the Undead.  As did at least one other Grehkian, but I'm positive there were more.  Unless they had more than one character, most didn't bother returning.  And even those that did...  Left to never come back.  Mortality hurt Beluaterra more than the invasion in its purest form did.

Yea, really, hard to see it as a "fun" feature when most people who suffer it never came back and a good number of them quit the game already.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #204: December 14, 2011, 02:31:29 PM »
Isn't it impossible to emigrate to Beluaterra during the Invasion?

The list you give probably also includes a lot of deaths before things were patched up, mortality rates were turned down afterwards. If mortality rates are adjusted, it could provide excitement. Do we need to see 2-5 Nobles die every battle? No, with the amount of battles, that will simply go very quick. But a Noble dying here and there because he was faced by gigantic Daimons or decided to do a suicide run could really add to the Invasion feel.

About people quitting the game, was that really a substantial amount? Who all quitted especially because Beluaterra had mortality? There are plenty of Islands without Mortality, and there was plenty of warning that Mortality was coming to Beluaterra. It wasn't really a big surprise.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:33:03 PM by Telrunya »

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #205: December 14, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »
In a game with two turns every day, that encourages you to log in "whenever you feel like, it's your right"...  Is a week's notice really "plenty" of time?

Mortality certainly shouldn't have been turned on until AFTER they "patched things up".  Yes, it's testing, but a lot of time was put into NON-HERO characters.  People felt screwed over.  I can't say I blame them.  Mortality was bad for Beluaterra and the continent has never been the same since.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #206: December 14, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
I voted no, and I have no problems sharing the reasoning: with sufficient GM resolve to actually grind realms to dust, the loss of one's home and collective efforts should be enough of a threat.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #207: December 14, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
In a game with two turns every day, that encourages you to log in "whenever you feel like, it's your right"...  Is a week's notice really "plenty" of time?

Mortality certainly shouldn't have been turned on until AFTER they "patched things up".  Yes, it's testing, but a lot of time was put into NON-HERO characters.  People felt screwed over.  I can't say I blame them.  Mortality was bad for Beluaterra and the continent has never been the same since.

So we're supposed to be psychic now?

We didn't know things needed to be patched up until after we saw so many people dying.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #208: December 14, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
When there's something like mortality, there is a dev server, no?  Besides, the invader units were overpowered.  That is something that should have been tested out before mortality was activated as well.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #209: December 14, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
When there's something like mortality, there is a dev server, no?  Besides, the invader units were overpowered.  That is something that should have been tested out before mortality was activated as well.

Isn't Beluaterra a testing continent :P
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.