Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 433639 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #420: January 18, 2012, 01:49:11 AM »
lol...Well, obviously we can't just out and plagiarize.

On the other hand...The Soulforge really gives me Diablo series vibes (Blizzard's series. 3 coming out in March or something.)

They had three prime evils, who had soulstones, and there was a Hellforge Hammer that was used to smash Mephisto's soulstone. Er...other stuff...

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #421: January 18, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
Somebody better find a Sage who can make a Hellforge Hammer then!

I'd imagine a soulforge makes soulsteel (or at least something like it), the souls of the dead hammered into various Daimonic metals which are used to make their weapons and armor. Could be why that peasant was so terrified of the Overlord's armor.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #422: January 20, 2012, 06:19:37 AM »
eh... if the daimons are looking for a forge... why are you bringing the hammer to use to whack it with?
firefox

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #423: January 20, 2012, 06:20:22 AM »
Same reason portal stones were used!  The daimons told them it was a good idea.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #424: January 20, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »
Same reason portal stones were used!  The daimons told them it was a good idea.

The Daimons also say it is a good idea to send all your gold to the De-Legro family coffers.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #425: January 20, 2012, 06:31:47 AM »
Do not listen to anyone from De-Legro! They are servants of daimons!  8)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #426: January 20, 2012, 06:49:31 AM »
Do not listen to anyone from De-Legro! They are servants of daimons!  8)

Hopefully rich Servants of Daimons

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #427: January 20, 2012, 10:43:36 AM »
Hopefully rich Servants of Daimons

Sign up with Daimon Worship. I have so much gold from people buying their freedom from the Daimon prison, even though most prisoners I wait until I can torture them, then torture them once and set them free (because I want them to play, not rot in the dungeon). I do make exceptions, though (hi Max *g*).

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #428: January 20, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
The best part of Hell Prison is the food. Since they don't serve you any, and the rest of it is mind-exploding horror.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #429: January 22, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »
I was surprised I managed to evade over 1200 Daimons in Sheja was it? Also pumped for round 2 of Daimon-thrashing. Most realm should have been able to refit by now. Just watch the statistics..
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Calanar

• Knight
  • Harbinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #430: January 23, 2012, 07:07:05 AM »
Aside from Tom, does anyone have a single clue as to what we should be doing? I hadn't even heard word that Piwani was being Blighted this time.
"The first requisite for success is to develop the ability to focus and apply your mental and physical energies to the problem at hand [...]" - Thomas Edison

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #431: January 23, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
heh... is anyone trapped outside of realm? XD

like.. any kings, generals, etc?
firefox

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #432: January 23, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »
I admit that - despite one of my chars being a general - I have no real clue what to be doing aside from the usual military effort. I especially did not know about Piwani until now (not showen blighted on either the political of dynamic map until I did a refresh just now....nearly fell of my seat...sigh)

Coordinating military takes quite a bit of time - thus I admit not having invested a large ammount into searching for clues. However, I /did/ coordinate quite a few adventurers, tried to poke them towards searching for portalstones and books, I had access to quite a bit of information, was party to quite a few discussions...but all in all I have no idea about the mechanics behind anything regarding daimons (especially recruitment and 'economic' powerbase). And I suspect that the situation is the same for the majority of generals. My one remaining theory is that once a daimon region is not connected to any human region anymore it becomes blighted. (with the exception of the use of portalstones which /somehow/ have a different but probably always bad influence). Note that despite obvious clues about teleportation scrolls no adventurer know to me has managed to receive one (I assume they can be made by sages). I have one increasingly unlikely theory that blight can be reversed by using a scroll of teleport /into/ the blight and then doing something there...or at least that /something/ can be achieved that way. But thats largely it....

I know that there are tons of clues around -  I suspect that Tom (who is looking at Beluaterra from /within/ the framework ofrules) is near dismayed by our inability to read the clues correctly. However, for one who is looking at the situation from without this framework many clues cannot carry the information that is only imparted if you connect them to the underlying theoretic framework. I also know that 'at least one person' has figured the system (largely?) out - but considering that most realms seem to be honestly and actively coordinating and since I have not heard from it either this person does not believe in his theory or he is actively hiding his findings...which I find hard to believe.

So I suspect that this invasions 'groundrules' will likely stay hidden despite Toms best efforts to reveal them. I am facinated by the flow of information, how it is perceived and what we distill out of it. I assume there is a fundamental difference in how the availiable set of information is perceived by its designers - and outsiders...and that this results in our 'inability' to read it correctly.

Note that I consider this invasion to be of excellent design quality. Many players seem to have a lot of fun - and this desperate struggle sure is epic. I would so very much love to be able to see Beluaterra saved...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #433: January 23, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
The way region become blighted was discovered in the last invasion. Has it changed?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #434: January 23, 2012, 10:45:32 AM »
I know that there are tons of clues around -  I suspect that Tom (who is looking at Beluaterra from /within/ the framework ofrules) is near dismayed by our inability to read the clues correctly.

No, I'm more amused. :)

What I find a bit disorienting is that too many people are searching for some kind of "deus ex machina" - something that will solve all their problems. Sorry, no easy way out this time. There's things you can find out, but there is no "make all the evil go away" button.

However, for one who is looking at the situation from without this framework many clues cannot carry the information that is only imparted if you connect them to the underlying theoretic framework. I also know that 'at least one person' has figured the system (largely?) out - but considering that most realms seem to be honestly and actively coordinating and since I have not heard from it either this person does not believe in his theory or he is actively hiding his findings...which I find hard to believe.

I am surprised that despite cooperation all around, a lot of information is either not moving around or moving around very slowly. Some people knew almost immediately about all of the regions blighted this far, but I know that others only found out a day or two later. I know that you all are trying to track the Daimon leaders, and I am making it really easy - lots of looting, which always generates a message to the region lords and knights, for example - and still you constantly lose track of some or all. I know that at least one person in the game still thinks that Darkest Hour of the North is in prison. He's been out for days. If anyone is surprised by this information - there's a piece of evidence right there that despite all the efforts, information sharing doesn't work nearly as well as you think.

It's ok - I was expecting most of this, though I am a bit surprised at the extent. It seems I don't need to think about stuff like delayed messages or such, players already do a great job at delaying and losing information. :-)

So I suspect that this invasions 'groundrules' will likely stay hidden despite Toms best efforts to reveal them. I am facinated by the flow of information, how it is perceived and what we distill out of it. I assume there is a fundamental difference in how the availiable set of information is perceived by its designers - and outsiders...and that this results in our 'inability' to read it correctly.

Note that I consider this invasion to be of excellent design quality. Many players seem to have a lot of fun - and this desperate struggle sure is epic. I would so very much love to be able to see Beluaterra saved...

Then work harder. I am fully prepared to sink it, and quite honestly, right now it looks really, really bad for the entire south. Since I can move through the blight, I can now choose my enemies, and instead of 9 realms, I can now fight either 3 or 6. Massive strategic victory for me, even in the (for you) best case, you can only give me 2/3rd the opposition now.

The "ground rules" are not so secret as you think, if you stop thinking in terms of "there is this one clue we must find and everything will come apart". Many of the rules have already been correctly found - like the succession of Nightfall - Midnight - etc. - this may not seem like huge news if you think in terms of "button to fix it all", but if you think of information as ammunition, it is a rather big bomb, as it tells you a lot if you think about it a tiny bit. The most obvious piece of info it contains is that they are not immortal, for example.

I also think there are many rules that you don't talk about, but have correctly guessed anyways. For example, that the Nightfalls, Midnights, etc. don't talk. Early on there were some communication attempts, but there haven't been any for weeks now. Anyone who wants to talk to the Daimons these days go through Overlord or his sons. Again, not a "click here to save humanity" clue, but still information, still a piece of "ground rules".

Many people by now have a good idea of what the conditions for losing regions, i.e. the Blight expanding, are.

So it's not like everyone would be totally clueless. There's a lot of knowledge around. Some of it isn't being shared much, and then there is quite a bit of misinformation as well. But I will continue to reveal clues, both through actions and through words. Really too bad that too many players have decided to simply disregard everything Overlord or his sons say as lies, lies and more lies instead of reading it and checking if there's anything interesting being said, because there is. But yes, of course most of it is said very intentionally to mislead you, or just to gloat, have some fun and make you SOOOO much want to kill that evil bastard. :-D

And I can't believe 1st Son could get out of prison by paying his ransom today. I was so sure he'd be banned or executed this time. I can't believe that all three sons are still alive. When I launched the invasion, and you had asked me how many sons had been killed by the end of January, I'd have guessed at least two, probably all three. I mean, that guy is personally responsible for the blighting of Villriil, and you don't have standing orders in all realms to arrest him on sight? I'm totally flabbergasted. Ok, that just had to get out. I feel better now. :-)