Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437691 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #840: March 06, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »
Yes I know. And if you can point me to a single shred of evidence to this effect that isn't rumor, superstition or hearsay, I will eat my shoe.

They have a different name every time because the server doesn't allow you (or a GM) to create a character with exactly the same name as one of your previous characters connected to the same family. Remember the last Invasion where the daimon GM would try to bring his killed characters back to life, only he couldn't exactly? He had to resort to silliness like removing a single character from the original name and then pretending it was the same commander, back from the dead, in all his RPs.

I am 100% convinced that any supposition that if we kill enough of them, they'll stop coming back, is pure fantasy on the part of the players. I mean come on, we're up to what, 9th Son now? And they just keep on coming. If there was a limit, don't you think Overlord would be at least slightly more cautious about throwing them away?

Tom is playing them himself. He has complete and total power over what he calls them.

If he wanted to name them the same thing again, he would. If the code would prevent it, he could either change the code, or edit the database directly.

In your haste to explain things away as simply problems with the game, you are ignoring obvious clues that Tom is giving us about the nature of the Daimons Overlord commands.

Look at it from a more IC perspective, and don't be so cynical. Tom has been clear all along that he wanted this invasion to have a chance for us to win, and that there would be no deus ex machina.

That means that he's not just pre-determined the outcome either way: he's not going to just keep pulling Daimons out of his ass forever, and he's not just going to go away at some point because he feels like it. The one thing I've seen that has been the clearest indication of progress in the war has been the killing of the Daimon commanders and their replacement with new ones with different names.

If we kill all the Darkest Hours and they just get replaced with Even Darker Hours that command stronger troops than their predecessors, then, yeah, we'll know he's just screwing with us. And yeah, maybe killing them all will actually further Overlord's diabolical plans and let him wipe out all of Beluaterra.

But for Great Cthulhu's sake, I'd rather see that than people deciding not to kill them just because they think Tom can't respawn them with exactly the same name if he wants—or any other silly game-mechanic-based objection.

This invasion is pretty damn epic. Let it be epic, and don't try to reduce it to numbers and code.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #841: March 06, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
overlord got wounded.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842: March 06, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
They have a different name every time because the server doesn't allow you (or a GM) to create a character with exactly the same name as one of your previous characters connected to the same family.
I do not believe this is true. There are plenty of families that have multiple characters with the exact same name. And some of them are still alive, but on different islands. If this really is true, then it must be a more recent change.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #843: March 06, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
Why so defensive Tim? Overall I'm fine with the Invasion; it's much more playable than the last one. I just wish I had a better idea of what to do.

And yes, I know that Tom can do anything he wants, but if he didn't care to put the time in to edit the code for what could be an entirely inconsequential detail, it explains the name changes while operating under very few assumptions. I'm utilizing Occam's Razor here. Suppositions that there is some kind of magic to the name changes requires quite a few more assumptions. The way I see it, they'll keep dropping no matter what. Chance dictates that we'll keep killing them as long as we keep fighting them, but it would be stupid to assume that if only we do it enough times we'll be saved.

However, I rather hope it's not as simple as just killing enough of them. How could Tom even be sure we'd ever manage to do so? That's leaving it up to luck, since capturing/killing the commanders in battle is mostly a matter of chance. Heads we win, tails we lose. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that there's probably something more to this than a simple body count, though I guess it's always possible that killing them does hurt Overlord's cause in some way shape or form that we have not detected yet.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #844: March 06, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »
Tom is playing them himself. He has complete and total power over what he calls them.

If he wanted to name them the same thing again, he would. If the code would prevent it, he could either change the code, or edit the database directly.

In your haste to explain things away as simply problems with the game, you are ignoring obvious clues that Tom is giving us about the nature of the Daimons Overlord commands.

Look at it from a more IC perspective, and don't be so cynical. Tom has been clear all along that he wanted this invasion to have a chance for us to win, and that there would be no deus ex machina.

That means that he's not just pre-determined the outcome either way: he's not going to just keep pulling Daimons out of his ass forever, and he's not just going to go away at some point because he feels like it. The one thing I've seen that has been the clearest indication of progress in the war has been the killing of the Daimon commanders and their replacement with new ones with different names.

If we kill all the Darkest Hours and they just get replaced with Even Darker Hours that command stronger troops than their predecessors, then, yeah, we'll know he's just screwing with us. And yeah, maybe killing them all will actually further Overlord's diabolical plans and let him wipe out all of Beluaterra.

But for Great Cthulhu's sake, I'd rather see that than people deciding not to kill them just because they think Tom can't respawn them with exactly the same name if he wants—or any other silly game-mechanic-based objection.

This invasion is pretty damn epic. Let it be epic, and don't try to reduce it to numbers and code.

Hear! Hear!

I just want to add that I am enjoying this invasion immensly. That doesn't always show in forum discussions, but it is true nonethless.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:38:18 PM by Thunthorn »
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #845: March 06, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
I do not believe this is true. There are plenty of families that have multiple characters with the exact same name. And some of them are still alive, but on different islands. If this really is true, then it must be a more recent change.

Well I can't be certain I'm right. I'm basing this off of what happened with the Fourth Invasion daimons. At the time I'm reasonably certain that someone, somewhere, said it was a code thing; the daimon GM was not able to create new characters with the exact same name as the old characters, which led to him trying to RP around it.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #846: March 06, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Regardless of whether it does us any good or not, if you have a daimon in your hands you don't let him live.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #847: March 06, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
Regardless of whether it does us any good or not, if you have a daimon in your hands you don't let him live.

Suffer not the witch daimon to live!

(And now, quoting that from WH40k makes me wonder if anyone has ever made a religion based on that universe.. I know the CoH uses some elements from it, but not completely.)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #848: March 06, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »
Why so defensive Tim?

Because you were being so dismissive.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #849: March 06, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
Because you were being so dismissive.

Which you never ever do, right?  ;)

I will admit that I am a bit cynical about the Invasions in general after experiencing the Fourth. But as I said, I am actually enjoying this one much more despite being utterly clueless as to what we need to do.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #850: March 06, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
despite being utterly clueless as to what we need to do.

Just rally and prepare for the next round! throw your minions at him as he does with us!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851: March 06, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »
(And now, quoting that from WH40k makes me wonder if anyone has ever made a religion based on that universe.. I know the CoH uses some elements from it, but not completely.)
Not to cast any aspersions onto WH40K, but I hope not. I would much rather see more original contributions, rather than stuff cribbed from somewhere else. But that's a different topic.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #852: March 06, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
if I would have been Rios general would not have engaged Overlords forces on an equal CS basis.

My character is convinced that is what doomed Enweil. Fear is Overlord's biggest weapon, and the more we avoid fighting, the more he just takes regions and blights them unopposed. We need to make a stand, even against all odds, and overcome the fear. We might lose in the short-term, or even in the long-term, but at least we will have made everything we could to prevent it, and if we have a chance, we will have sought it.

Hear! Hear!

I just wan't to add that I am enjoying this invasion immensly. That doesn't always show in forum discussions, but it is true nonethless.

I completely second that.

People are despairing, just as Overlord wants, for they can't see the light in the end of the tunnel. If we give in to panic then we will certainly lose BT.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #853: March 06, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
Hear! Hear!

I just wan't to add that I am enjoying this invasion immensly. That doesn't always show in forum discussions, but it is true nonethless.

No doubt.
This invasion is in terms of enjoyability only second to the first one in my opinion. And nostalgia has probably twisted my memory of that invasion. Still... giant frog armies, vampire lords (in a pre-twilight era) and so many other different types of fantastical creatures roaming the islands with a bloodthirst that equals that of Overlord himself was pure epicness... :)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #854: March 06, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
not much choice really... we'll be out of infantry soon XD
firefox