Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437570 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #1140: April 03, 2012, 03:02:54 PM »
I'm not super worried yet. The daimons either have to TO the capitals or sit in them indefinitely to keep them locked down, which gives us time to come up with a coordinated counter-offensive to drive them out. Thalmarkin gave them a pretty good beating actually despite technically losing the battle. If they can drive them out over the next few days, they can then refit and come help someone else. Other than Nothoi, every other realm under attack has another city they can move their capital to if need be. Out of curiosity, moving it under these circumstances: Breaking the rule about strategic capital moves? Or do we need to wait until the daimons actually TO them?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1141: April 03, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Out of curiosity, moving it under these circumstances: Breaking the rule about strategic capital moves?

That's not a strategic move, that's a flee and rescue operation. :-)

And an admittance of defeat, of course.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142: April 03, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Actually, given what Overlord made the Horrors out to be, and the fact that he has turned to them now, suggest his power is waning, almost as if the end is in sight. So I would say the horrors are either the last, or second last wave of Overlords forces. If this is the type of invasion which is decided by military might and not some deus ex machina, then humans are close to pushing back daimons.

I was surprised by the message Overlord sent introducing the horrors. Very out of character for him to praise our efforts, even so slightly as he did.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143: April 03, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
If we only had a temple of light right now.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144: April 03, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
That's not a strategic move, that's a flee and rescue operation. :-)

And an admittance of defeat, of course.

He who runs away lives to fight another day. Fronen's not the military power it once was. I would say our odds of pushing the Horrors out of Vur Hagin unassisted are not great, though we're surely in better shape than Nothoi. Considering that it will be some time before we can expect help from anyone other than Melhed, we may have to undertake a tactical retreat until more help is available.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:52:48 PM by Geronus »

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145: April 03, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Actually, given what Overlord made the Horrors out to be, and the fact that he has turned to them now, suggest his power is waning, almost as if the end is in sight. So I would say the horrors are either the last, or second last wave of Overlords forces. If this is the type of invasion which is decided by military might and not some deus ex machina, then humans are close to pushing back daimons.

I was surprised by the message Overlord sent introducing the horrors. Very out of character for him to praise our efforts, even so slightly as he did.

I agree. There is certainly hope. The loss of a Capital is painful, but with multiple Cities the Daimons will need to win several more battles against heavy defences, assuming they keep going after a Capital. There is still hope to wear them down. The South hasn't been hit yet, but we suspect Midnight of the South will be leading an unit of Horrors to Riombara's Capital after he gets out of our Dungeons.

If we only had a temple of light right now.

No worries. Humanity united and destroyed the Light themselves. That's how confident we are we will win on our own strength, we didn't want to give Overlord any excuses (We totally didn't get tricked. Nope. Not at all.)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146: April 03, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »
The South hasn't been hit yet, but we suspect Midnight of the South will be leading an unit of Horrors to Riombara's Capital after he gets out of our Dungeons.

I hope we're executing him though, aren't we?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147: April 03, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
I hope we're executing him though, aren't we?

Which means a new one will pop up anywhere he wants to as soon as we do.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148: April 03, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Well yes, but the current theory is that they're done after the darkest hour, so at least we'd be a step closer.. :P

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149: April 03, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
Someone brainstormed with the idea to let him rot to buy more time, but I think a few others reacted that they rather make sure we can execute him then giving him more chances to escape before his execution at the end of jail time. We'll see, but I expect the execution will happen as soon as it's possible personally. Though that means Darkest Hour of the South will come for the visit instead.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150: April 03, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
Which means a new one will pop up anywhere he wants to as soon as we do.

As opposed to us releasing him, in which case the same one will pop up anywhere as soon as we do.

I still agree with the people who say it's important to keep executing the Hours and progressing the time. After the Darkest Hour comes the Dawn.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151: April 03, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
The capitals always falls last from what I've seen. Here it may  fall first.
After that you just get a new capital?

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152: April 03, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
The capitals always falls last from what I've seen. Here it may  fall first.
After that you just get a new capital?

I think you have to move the capital manually. And I /think/ it costs around 500 gold to do so and all the peasants over the realm will be upset.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153: April 03, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
This is freaky. The have 98000 CS now and had 35000 during the first battle.
The end is here!

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154: April 03, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
Their CS outside of battles is inflated. The CS reported during the battle report is the actual value.