Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437575 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #1365: April 15, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
Unfortunately, that will likely happen. But at least the infiltrators will shut up now after I've banned them, and if other people try to play hero while inside the Netherworld prison, I can torture them twice daily for the full 7 days, steal their gold so they can't pay ransom - all things I haven't done so far. And if they overdo it, I could use the deportation option. Basically, whatever options there are, I will now use them when I feel like it.

Why weren't you doing this since day one?

If someone did the same thing in a human prison, he wouldn't expect such kind treatment. Why should a daimon prison be any nicer than a human prison?

When I read the announcement, I (and apparently others) thought it meant that netherworld dungeons would start to become a truly scary place. Instead, it just means that the netherworld dungeons will stop being carebear land and will be on the same level of scariness as human dungeons.

I cannot understand your patience with some characters. "You reap what you sow" is the philosophy that's always governed these things in BM, it wouldn't have been unfair or unfun to be just as harsh as human dungeons.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1366: April 15, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »
Why weren't you doing this since day one?

Fun of the players.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367: April 15, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »
Fun of the players.

Non-sense. Should human judges not torture foreign nobles that insult them or execute repeat offenders out of fear for the "fun of the players"?

Players aren't children, they can (and should) assume the consequences of their acts. You were being way too soft for nothing. Being able to insult Overlord and get away with it doesn't make things more fun, it just makes the invasion feel less real, less threatening.

It's not like if you would have tortured every war captive 2 times per day (which would be extremely unlikely to happen in a human dungeon due to h/p loss), after all.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368: April 15, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
Non-sense. Should human judges not torture foreign nobles that insult them or execute repeat offenders out of fear for the "fun of the players"?

Players aren't children, they can (and should) assume the consequences of their acts. You were being way too soft for nothing. Being able to insult Overlord and get away with it doesn't make things more fun, it just makes the invasion feel less real, less threatening.

It's not like if you would have tortured every war captive 2 times per day (which would be extremely unlikely to happen in a human dungeon due to h/p loss), after all.
You may be right but calling his reason non-sense should not have been said as I can understand his reasoning and that was his actual reason so it is not non-sense.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369: April 15, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
You may be right but calling his reason non-sense should not have been said as I can understand his reasoning and that was his actual reason so it is not non-sense.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say, but perhaps I could have said it more respectfully.

I just don't think he should have imposed such restrictions on himself, and that the unexplainable gentleness he used to display is what caused many players to jump to conclusions and think things were gonna be worse than what he meant to say.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370: April 15, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
To rephrase it I agree with you but in my opinion when you called it non-sense it made it sound like you were either saying the reason was stupid or that he was lying as in it non-sense that the fun for players was Tom's reason and that he was lying or that his reason is non-sense and thus stupid.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371: April 15, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
To rephrase it I agree with you but in my opinion when you called it non-sense it made it sound like you were either saying the reason was stupid or that he was lying as in it non-sense that the fun for players was Tom's reason and that he was lying or that his reason is non-sense and thus stupid.

Well, I don't see the logic behind it, so perhaps I'm the stupid one.  ;)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372: April 15, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »

I don't disagree with you in principle, but you've seen how much people have been upset about the stuff Tom already does. I would be very surprised if people hadn't raged more vehemently at him for torturing and executing their characters every chance he got.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373: April 15, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »
I don't disagree with you in principle, but you've seen how much people have been upset about the stuff Tom already does. I would be very surprised if people hadn't raged more vehemently at him for torturing and executing their characters every chance he got.

They're just lucky they didn't fall in Riombaran dungeons...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374: April 15, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »
They're just lucky they didn't fall in Riombaran dungeons...

Haha. Did you forget who started the torturing already? ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375: April 15, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
Haha. Did you forget who started the torturing already? ;)

Riombara, with the illegal execution of Katia Zotral that broke the prisoner agreement that forbid it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376: April 15, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
...execution of Katia Zotral ...

I have to admit, I cheered when I heard about that one.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1377: April 15, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
I just don't think he should have imposed such restrictions on himself, and that the unexplainable gentleness he used to display is what caused many players to jump to conclusions and think things were gonna be worse than what he meant to say.

As the saying goes, no good deed ever goes unpunished.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378: April 15, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »
Fun of the players.

The kind of behavior you describe is stuff that can and has gotten people tortured, executed, and banned by their home realm in the main game.  I remember one case where an insult was sent that was found so appalling that the home realm banned him immediately upon their Judge's receipt of the insult, the character tortured to lower escape chances, and an execution attempt made as soon as the ban went through.  Does that always happen?  No.  But people don't do the stuff you're describing in human prisons for the real fear of the consequences.

Long story short, feed 'em to the soulforges, and make special mention of how the crotch plate of this Daimon is adorned by the tormented soul of the offending character.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379: April 15, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
As the saying goes, no good deed ever goes unpunished.

Indeed.