Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437711 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #1410: April 17, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
Let's not forget daimons' telepot ability. They practicly teleported in our capitals. No amount of scouting could of predicted that.
It doesn't matter what their position is on the map. They could be in a cumpletly difrent place next turn.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:28:14 AM by mikm »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1411: April 17, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
This problem is made worse by the daimon ability to travel fast through the blight. They can ALWAYS hit us where we aren't unless we divide our forces to the point where they cannot possibly stand up to the attacking daimon armies. I just wasted quite a few words explaining to Riombara how stupid it is to chase after Darkest Hour of the South when he can simply pop into the blight near Fheuvnem and then pop back out a day later in Ajitmon or Ardmore while our army is still stuck in Sandlakes. Grrr.

Though if you had looked closely, you'd have realized that the horrors have not done this so far. Both in the south and in the north they have travelled the long way. Overlord from Firbalt to Ossmat, his minions from Vur Hagin to Agyr, Grehk to Fheuvenem or whatever, and Reeds to... not yet arrived.

Not saying they can't, but the whining a la "they always disappear into the Blight" hasn't been true even once for the Horrors.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412: April 17, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
I just wasted quite a few words explaining to Riombara how stupid it is to chase after Darkest Hour of the South when he can simply pop into the blight near Fheuvnem and then pop back out a day later in Ajitmon or Ardmore while our army is still stuck in Sandlakes. Grrr.

No one was ever to go as far as Sandlakes. We've learned that lesson last time we tried to help IVF. Gregorian was prepared to go as far as Enweilios goes but Daimons bypassed it. So you should get your facts straight, or if you don't get any facts IC then you should rethink how you ask for those facts, for Gregorian most certainly won't give any respect or information to those that call him stupid in the first place.

No matter what we do the Daimons /can/ always do whatever they want to do. If we follow them, they move into the blight and teleport in our back yard. If we don't follow them, they kill some southern realm. If they really want to get best for themselves, they can, and there is nothing we can do to prevent them. And as long as things are like that I would prefer giving at least some fun to the players, where they actually go somewhere and do something (even if it is just chasing ghosts), then sitting in the capital waiting to die. That was my reasoning and if you don't like it you can either a) make your character run for general himself or b) be quiet about it and stop insulting those who are making an effort to do something. I don't appreciate being called stupid IC or OOC. IC I get it, and you got the treatment of being ignored Gregorian felt appropriate. OOC I am annoyed, disappointed and slightly upset by it.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1413: April 17, 2012, 01:28:22 PM »
No matter what we do the Daimons /can/ always do whatever they want to do.

Not quite. There are some game-mechanics that have been successfully used against them. One of the reasons that Unger held so well, for example, was that no matter what they kept fighting with considerable forces. The battles lasted several hours, reducing the time pool that the Daimon minion had available for such things as looting or casting magic (which yes, takes time as anyone who has ever used a scroll can confirm). When the battles started to run against me, I didn't even have enough hours left to leave. They had successfully tied me up, so it wasn't so much luck, sooner or later he would've either died in battle or been captured.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414: April 17, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »
Though if you had looked closely, you'd have realized that the horrors have not done this so far. Both in the south and in the north they have travelled the long way. Overlord from Firbalt to Ossmat, his minions from Vur Hagin to Agyr, Grehk to Fheuvenem or whatever, and Reeds to... not yet arrived.

Not saying they can't, but the whining a la "they always disappear into the Blight" hasn't been true even once for the Horrors.

That's not a good indicator of what they might do in the future, and the daimon commanders have already done this in the past with other unit types. Such as when Midnight of the South did the exact thing I am talking about when he was commanding flesheaters and popped up in Ajitmon while were off chasing him through Enweil. If daimons use a given tactic once, how is it that we can safely assume that they won't simply use it again? I'd say that that would be a pretty foolish assumption to make IC, especially when it's such a devastatingly effective tactic. Let's also not forget that even if the daimons use mundane movement, we still have to know where they're going in advance if we want to get there first to defend it, as under the best of circumstances we are no faster than they are.

I wouldn't care so much about them disappearing into the blight if they still had to move at normal speeds through it. It's the popping up somewhere else halfway across the world a day later that's the problem... It gives them an enormous strategic advantage. Essentially, they can always travel by interior lines and outmaneuver us with ease. I think the daimons have been very restrained about using this power to its full potential, but that doesn't mean they haven't done so on occasion, or that we can afford to assume that they won't do so again.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415: April 17, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
No one was ever to go as far as Sandlakes. We've learned that lesson last time we tried to help IVF. Gregorian was prepared to go as far as Enweilios goes but Daimons bypassed it. So you should get your facts straight, or if you don't get any facts IC then you should rethink how you ask for those facts, for Gregorian most certainly won't give any respect or information to those that call him stupid in the first place.

No matter what we do the Daimons /can/ always do whatever they want to do. If we follow them, they move into the blight and teleport in our back yard. If we don't follow them, they kill some southern realm. If they really want to get best for themselves, they can, and there is nothing we can do to prevent them. And as long as things are like that I would prefer giving at least some fun to the players, where they actually go somewhere and do something (even if it is just chasing ghosts), then sitting in the capital waiting to die. That was my reasoning and if you don't like it you can either a) make your character run for general himself or b) be quiet about it and stop insulting those who are making an effort to do something. I don't appreciate being called stupid IC or OOC. IC I get it, and you got the treatment of being ignored Gregorian felt appropriate. OOC I am annoyed, disappointed and slightly upset by it.

Sorry you feel that way, Arrakis. It's in my nature to be outspoken sometimes, but I am not trying to be insulting or offensive. I know you're not stupid; quite the contrary.

IMO you should make these arguments IC though, as they are essentially IC arguments. Or you can continue to just ignore Evander, but that's not really a good way to shut him up... He's likely to just keep harping on the subject until someone acknowledges him one way or the other, and if it's actually annoying you you should probably do something about it, even if it's to tell him to shut up.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #1416: April 17, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
I wouldn't care so much about them disappearing into the blight if they still had to move at normal speeds through it. It's the popping up somewhere else halfway across the world a day later that's the problem... It gives them an enormous strategic advantage.

True, they have some advantages. They also have disadvantages - for example the fact that I only ever had 5 armies.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417: April 17, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »
True, they have some advantages. They also have disadvantages - for example the fact that I only ever had 5 armies.

Ha, you can't possibly be complaining about that, can you?   :)

When one of those armies (currently, if not always in the past) is more than enough to take down a full-scale fortress or several human armies, I humbly suggest that five is quite enough. Possibly too many, actually, time will tell.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418: April 17, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
Also, it turns out I cannot hand a semi-blighted region to another realm. I guess that's intentional?

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419: April 18, 2012, 01:18:25 AM »
Not quite. There are some game-mechanics that have been successfully used against them. One of the reasons that Unger held so well, for example, was that no matter what they kept fighting with considerable forces. The battles lasted several hours, reducing the time pool that the Daimon minion had available for such things as looting or casting magic (which yes, takes time as anyone who has ever used a scroll can confirm). When the battles started to run against me, I didn't even have enough hours left to leave. They had successfully tied me up, so it wasn't so much luck, sooner or later he would've either died in battle or been captured.

Meat grinder! Haha my god, it takes that kind of overwhelming despair and enemy strength to create moments of such heroism and triumph as that. Nothing but compliments from me. Playing it safe and winning can be really, tooth-grindingly boring.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420: April 18, 2012, 03:33:28 AM »
Face your impeding doom! The hellforges await your pitiful souls, heathens!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421: April 18, 2012, 03:49:26 AM »
I hate it when my doom impedes me...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422: April 18, 2012, 04:06:38 AM »
I hate it when my doom impedes me...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way, doom.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423: April 18, 2012, 06:27:44 AM »
I know, right? You want to take a shower, and doom's used all the hot water. You feel like a nice, cold beer after work, and doom's drunk them all. And who is it that uses all the plates and just leaves them in the sink unwashed? Yeah, that's right. Doom.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424: April 18, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
I know, right? You want to take a shower, and doom's used all the hot water. You feel like a nice, cold beer after work, and doom's drunk them all. And who is it that uses all the plates and just leaves them in the sink unwashed? Yeah, that's right. Doom.

Stupid Doom, never thinking of others.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron