Author Topic: Calm before the storm on FEI  (Read 72606 times)

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Calm before the storm on FEI
« Reply #150: May 06, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »
It's to get you out of an enemy's dungeon, perhaps?

A Priest wanted by his own realm is pretty much dead meat.
------
qui audet vincit

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #151: May 06, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
Damn.

Can you tell I've never had a character been arrested before?

I figured if I paid the fine I would at least have some grace time before I could be arrested again. What is the point of a ransom then?

To get you back to your capital.

Being a criminal in your own realm is, in fact, supposed to be a suicidally stupid thing to do.

Is SigrĂșn really going to execute him? And where did these treason charges come from all of sudden?

"All of a sudden"?

SigrĂșn has been talking from the very beginning about treason.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: May 06, 2012, 10:55:08 PM »
In other news, Sorraine cannot fight any wars on their own, so they have recruited Arcaea to fight for them!

War!   (4 hours, 48 minutes ago)
Sorraine has declared war on us!

War!   (4 hours, 29 minutes ago)
Arcaea has declared war on us!

Treaty Broken   (4 hours, 29 minutes ago)
Sir Velax de Vere, King of Arcaea, Marshal of the Royal Arcaean Legion has broken the treaty "The Ohnarian/Arcaean Compact".
This was a Alliance treaty that was signed into effect on 2011-02-13.

Now if only the Southern realms would jump in around now :) Continental war.. except Toupellon.. maybe?
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: May 06, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »
In other news, Sorraine cannot fight any wars on their own, so they have recruited Arcaea to fight for them!

It's medieval politics, not a team sport. What did you expect?

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: May 06, 2012, 11:40:24 PM »

Sir Velax de Vere, King of Arcaea, Marshal of the Royal Arcaean Legion has broken the treaty "The Ohnarian/Arcaean Compact".

Now if only the Southern realms would jump in around now :) Continental war.. except Toupellon.. maybe?

That's what I was going for. But if Cathay is created anytime soon, they'll be an ally (or so I have been informed) of Arcaea/Sorraine
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: May 06, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
It's medieval politics, not a team sport. What did you expect?

Well seeing that Ohnar West lived through Toupellon's attempt at a war against us and didn't have the help of any allies, it would be more fun to have a good 1v1 war without outside influence. But we knew Arcaea had their military ready to aid Sorraine - it was something I took full consideration of when I decided we should grab Ossaet from Duke Jatha.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #156: May 07, 2012, 12:10:58 AM »
But we knew Arcaea had their military ready to aid Sorraine - it was something I took full consideration of when I decided we should grab Ossaet from Duke Jatha.

If you expected it, then why are you smacktalking in the forums about it?

gaaah, '1v1 war.' It isn't football. It's politics with moving parts. For example, Ohnar didn't even bother to try and make friends with Toupellon-about-to-be-Cathay -- your PM ignored diplomatic contact entirely. There is no such thing as '1v1' in BM politics.

Anyway, the entire FEI is playing RegionMaintenanceMaster until the new estates and market system rolls out. There hasn't been a proper war in ages.

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #157: May 07, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »

This is the second time you've provoked war and then immediately come onto the forums to complain about the other realm's players. Give it a rest.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #158: May 07, 2012, 01:47:25 AM »

If you want to know why Arcaea is so eager to fight Ohnar, I suggest taking a look at your ruler. I doubt there's been a more deceitful ruler since Conan. And Velax didn't much appreciate Callandor trying to cozy up to him while actually trying to collect information he could use against Velax and Arcaea. Tends to piss him off.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: May 07, 2012, 02:32:18 AM »
This is another case of a perceived ganging-up being just really poor decisions and bad diplomacy. And lots of people really don't like OW. Or your ruler, who is considered one of the worst scoundrels on the islans.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: May 07, 2012, 04:03:01 AM »
If you want to know why Arcaea is so eager to fight Ohnar, I suggest taking a look at your ruler. I doubt there's been a more deceitful ruler since Conan.

Or, you know, Velax.  ::)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #161: May 07, 2012, 04:49:54 AM »
Mmm hmm. If you can point out one time Velax has lied, feel free. Jenred promised you peace, not Velax. Velax didn't want peace with Arcachon, never promised peace with Arcachon and ran for election on the platform of going back to war. For which he was elected with some 110-odd votes. He upheld the promise he made to his nobles. Not sure what you'd call deceitful about that. Upholding a promise he made to some 50-odd nobles is, in Velax's opinion, far more important than upholding a promise someone else made to a hated enemy. And he announced it to the rulers first rather than sticking his entire army in Enlod before declaring war, as other realms have done.

Me'hoe, on the other hand, lies every time he opens his mouth or picks up a pen. I doubt any of the embarrassing messages he sends to the rulers get shown around in Ohnar West, so perhaps your realm is unaware of that.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: May 07, 2012, 06:54:01 AM »
Mmm hmm. If you can point out one time Velax has lied, feel free. Jenred promised you peace, not Velax. Velax didn't want peace with Arcachon, never promised peace with Arcachon and ran for election on the platform of going back to war. For which he was elected with some 110-odd votes. He upheld the promise he made to his nobles. Not sure what you'd call deceitful about that. Upholding a promise he made to some 50-odd nobles is, in Velax's opinion, far more important than upholding a promise someone else made to a hated enemy.

When a ruler makes peace, he makes it on behalf of a realm. So Jenred making peace with Melehan, was Arcaea making peace with Arcachon. You could say Velax isn't deceitful, yet he certainly broke the peace Arcaea had signed with Acachon. Thus Velax as the monarch who tore up the deal, broke the word his predecessor had made on behalf of Arcaea. So either Arcaea collectively bears the burden of having broken their word, or the responsibility lies upon its ruler (Velax) as its representative.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163: May 07, 2012, 07:01:18 AM »
Anyway, the entire FEI is playing RegionMaintenanceMaster until the new estates and market system rolls out. There hasn't been a proper war in ages.

RegionMaintenanceMaster may have just caused a few sparks toward war, unfortunately. Or fortunately, given your perception. But yeah, rolling out partial updates to stable without finishing it has wreaked havoc on an island that had been experiencing near-universal drought. The statistics page on food production/supply is miserable right now.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #164: May 07, 2012, 07:08:07 AM »
When a ruler makes peace, he makes it on behalf of a realm. So Jenred making peace with Melehan, was Arcaea making peace with Arcachon. You could say Velax isn't deceitful, yet he certainly broke the peace Arcaea had signed with Acachon. Thus Velax as the monarch who tore up the deal, broke the word his predecessor had made on behalf of Arcaea. So either Arcaea collectively bears the burden of having broken their word, or the responsibility lies upon its ruler (Velax) as its representative.

I don't think you're actually aware of the meaning of the word deceitful. "Marked by deliberate deceptiveness especially by pretending one set of feelings and acting under the influence of another." At what point did Velax pretend he wanted peace while actually working to end the treaty?

It seems entirely reasonable that if a ruler makes a promise that goes against the wishes of his entire nation and then goes crazy (which is pretty much what happened after Jenred's accident), the subsequent ruler is perfectly entitled to honour the wishes of his realm and rescind peace. You're welcome to disagree if you wish, but it's quite ridiculous to compare a man upholding a promise made to every member of his realm to a man who changes position so often even he doesn't know which way he's facing.