Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Calm before the storm on FEI

Started by DoctorHarte, January 12, 2012, 10:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anaris

Quote from: Velax on May 08, 2012, 02:03:53 PM
Yikes. That's a bit harsh. Banning, immediately arresting and then executing one of your own realm members.

He burned the Judge's house down, while she was still in it.

She made it out; some of her servants didn't.

What do you expect to have happen?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Scarlett

My least favorite thing in BM is the resistance to controversy many characters display because their players look at the game like a sport. It's what leads to relaxed attitudes toward address and station, knights referring to Dukes by name and not title, and the general equivocation and equalization of hierarchy that makes medieval politics something different and "new" (okay, not new...). This problem is made even worse when there are fewer players. I have seen "but we need nobles" as a defense of all kinds of awful behavior quite a lot lately.

So I'm sorry to see Galen killed since I suspect he was an interesting character (having seen his relatives) but good for Zonasa. Actions have consequences. Inaction has consequences. Station matters.

Velax

He burnt it down? Did he RP that?

Anaris

Quote from: Velax on May 08, 2012, 02:25:51 PM
He burnt it down? Did he RP that?

It was an auto da fe. That's what they do.

He didn't burn it down personally, but he was at the head of the mob of screaming peasants that did, egging them on.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Broose

It's discouraging to see so much bad blood on the forums over someone trying to make things more interesting. What's the point of trying to create some inter-realm conflict during a slow period if you're just going to be criticized by the other players for not helping the realm win?

Oh, well. At least it brought some life to PoZ for a little while. Wish I had some medals to throw around, though.

Perth

Quote from: Anaris on May 08, 2012, 02:27:02 PM
He didn't burn it down personally, but he was at the head of the mob of screaming peasants that did, egging them on.

Allegedly.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Anaris

Quote from: Perth on May 08, 2012, 02:44:28 PM
Allegedly.

Dude, seriously? Galen's dead now. You can quit grandstanding.

He drove her out, burned down her house, sent a message saying, "Begone, heretic, and never trouble these holy mountains again!", and then started trying to claim that it was all just a big misunderstanding.

We all know perfectly well that the notion of it being Galen attempting to calm the mobs was something thought up after the fact. Honestly, it was a reasonably clever defense, and might have had some traction if he hadn't sent that message. You were particularly lucky that Vellos was more than happy to run with it in order to spit in my and Tonie's eyes.

But it's over now, and we can talk about it OOC without the BS, can't we?
Timothy Collett

Lorgan

Let it be a lesson to all: don't piss off the judge. :)

Anaris

Quote from: Lorgan on May 08, 2012, 02:51:13 PM

Quoted for truth.
Timothy Collett

Solari

Quote from: Broose on May 08, 2012, 02:40:01 PM
What's the point of trying to create some inter-realm conflict during a slow period if you're just going to be criticized by the other players for not helping the realm win?

See, this is a debate worth continuing, and a big philosophical difference among some camps.  I am in the camp that says conflict should largely happen between realms.  Particularly the kind that could tear a realm apart if not channeled outward. 

Anaris

For the record, I have no OOC problem with what Perth did. As may have come out before, I'm mildly annoyed by the attempts to claim that reports that our characters get of IG events are inaccurate; however, I recognize that as a valid philosophical debate within the BattleMaster community.

The only thing that really seriously bugs me OOC is when people come on the forums and try to argue here, OOC, that what obviously happened IC did not.
Timothy Collett

Morningstar

Quote from: Anaris on May 08, 2012, 03:10:48 PM
The only thing that really seriously bugs me OOC is when people come on the forums and try to argue here, OOC, that what obviously happened IC did not.

Agreed. It's always come down to character separation from the real world. The source of some of our biggest blowups have largely been for this reason.

Sonya

You can....next time just don't stay there!

vonGenf

Quote from: Solari on May 08, 2012, 03:01:49 PM
See, this is a debate worth continuing, and a big philosophical difference among some camps.  I am in the camp that says conflict should largely happen between realms.  Particularly the kind that could tear a realm apart if not channeled outward.

I am of the camp that thinks the best rulers are those that manage to channel the inherent conflict-prone nature of their nobles outwards. This is a hard job, but it is an IC job for your character, not an OOC job for the player.

This kind of criticism ("but we need more nobles", "you're not helping the realm") is very difficult to imagine as an IC criticism, even when it is sent with all the trappings of an IC letter.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Perth

Quote from: Broose on May 08, 2012, 02:40:01 PM
It's discouraging to see so much bad blood on the forums over someone trying to make things more interesting. What's the point of trying to create some inter-realm conflict during a slow period if you're just going to be criticized by the other players for not helping the realm win?

Oh, well. At least it brought some life to PoZ for a little while. Wish I had some medals to throw around, though.

What's worse is I guess Galen got sold out by someone in Toupellon for no real reason other than they wanted to "avoid war." I mean, sheesh, in a time when the whole island is just reaching for some reason to fight, to sell out the guy who's going to provide a great reason for it? Religious entanglements and all! Lame. Plus, they didn't even have to do it, because I never switched Haul over. They could've simply revealed the treason then and said, "hey, we want no part of this, take him back." But, for some reason unbeknownst to me they wanted Galen in big trouble, I guess.

No kidding. I didn't ever really think Galen would get executed for it. SigrĂșn is a hard-ass. Banned I expected; possibly taken Haul to another realm and started a war, etc. Didn't think he would get executed, at least not in Zonasa of all places.

I especially did not foresee how difficult it would be to get out of the realm. I guess I'll know in the future now. In retrospect, I should have just taken Haul to Toupellon much earlier. However, how quiet the realm got and how everyone seemed to lose interest in the Tribunal made me think I was maybe going to get away with it. However, it is now apparent that Toupellon wanted none of that anyways, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered in the end.

Also, I wish the other members of the Church would have been a little more supportive. But, the Church sucks and was mostly why I did what I did because I was bored and was thinking of pausing/deleting Galen anyways. All of Galen's previous relationship and friendship with Rory also made me think I would have an ally in him, but he jumped all over me too. SigrĂșn offered me the option of exile if Galen would "confess" his crimes. I thought about it for a second but it would have obviously not been Galen's character to do so. Also, I'm not sure what I would have done with him somewhere else. It works out in the end, Galen is gone and becomes a martyr for his Church and I've rid myself of a, until then, mostly boring character and religion.

The only bad part now is that I want to make a new character but don't know where to send them. I'm not into the whole two characters on one continent thing so AT and ET and DWI are out, and I've never kept track of the BT storyline so that doesn't seem attractive and the Colonies I think would be to slow for me. That only leaves the Far East, but I feel like if I made a new Character there it would feel a little... awkward. What do you all think? What's the norm for this kind of thing? I've never had a character executed before, lol.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)