Author Topic: Rebalance of seasons on dwilight  (Read 12005 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Rebalance of seasons on dwilight
« Reply #30: January 17, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »
Yeah, I did notice that in Arcaea. But I haven't heard of starvation in the Colonies or Atamara.

Do they even have seasons?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 17, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »
Do they even have seasons?
No. Seasons only happen on FEI and Dwilight.

But I haven't heard of starvation in the Colonies or Atamara.
On most islands, and for most realms, starvation generally only happens as a consequence of warfare. Very few realms are situated such that they cannot feed themselves. The most notable exception I can think of is Ibladesh, trying to feed Ibladesh city. Although, on BT, Kingdom of Alluran did often have a very difficult time trying to feed Eno. Toward the end of the third invasion we managed to finally expand far enough into what had been Luz de Bia and Irombrozia to break even.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 17, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
So... do we have any climatologists who want to volunteer to help redraw the weather maps?

Having large weather areas in and of itself is not a bad thing, if they make sense based on the geography. I agree that the bit north-south ones really don't look good. But a big one that encompasses a large plains area makes sense. At least to me. And don't most RL weather areas go mostly east-west?

not a climatologist.. but if you listen to f1 commentary, they always say places like spa or wherever it is have their own unique weather systems...
firefox

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 19, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
No. Seasons only happen on FEI and Dwilight.
On most islands, and for most realms, starvation generally only happens as a consequence of warfare. Very few realms are situated such that they cannot feed themselves. The most notable exception I can think of is Ibladesh, trying to feed Ibladesh city. Although, on BT, Kingdom of Alluran did often have a very difficult time trying to feed Eno. Toward the end of the third invasion we managed to finally expand far enough into what had been Luz de Bia and Irombrozia to break even.

Abington never could feed itself, and neither could Suville (nor, I believe, Caergoth, but I'm not sure on that).  Riombara had serious difficulties.  Luria as a whole had serious problems until new estates allowed taking and holding of more rural regions, not to mention D'hara.  Arcaea, Cathay, Ethiala, and Toupellon either have or used to have chronic problems with food.  I'd call that quite a number, and that's just my personal experience.  The only realm I played in for any length of time that didn't have food problems in peace time is Carelia, which had a stupid number of rurals.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 19, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
Abington never could feed itself, and neither could Suville (nor, I believe, Caergoth, but I'm not sure on that).
Abington/Suville occupy the same spot on AT that KoA had on BT. Eno/Suville is one pig of a city. Huge and hard to feed. Feeding Eno (and Jidington) is why I never gave the order to take the city of Eylmon. As far as I know, it is one of the few areas in the game that really has a shortage of available food production actually built into the region stats. But that may have more to do with the political geography of the area. KoA was hemmed in by Luz de Bia (Who had thousands and thousands of stockpiled food) and then by Enweil, who was militarily stronger than us by quite a large margin.

Riombara had serious difficulties.  Luria as a whole had serious problems until new estates allowed taking and holding of more rural regions, not to mention D'hara.
Not sure about Riombara, as I have no experience with that area, really.
D'Hara... well... it's their own fault for having such a nutjob realm geography. Yes, it is driven by diplomacy. But that diplomacy is their own fault. So...it's still all their own fault.

The Lurian shortages have nothing to do with seasons, or with the food producing capacity of the regions in the area. It's that they have been unable to take the regions. The food is there, if they could have just taken the land.

Arcaea, Cathay, Ethiala, and Toupellon either have or used to have chronic problems with food.
Arcaea has too mcuh land, and can't control it all. That's why it's all going rogue. Couple that with the same problem Toupellon has: a banker not doing their job. Toupellon produces a surplus, but can't manage it well enough to keep everyone fed. Cathay was probably in the same position. Don't know about Ethiala, that was before my time.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #35: January 19, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »

D'Hara... well... it's their own fault for having such a nutjob realm geography. Yes, it is driven by diplomacy. But that diplomacy is their own fault. So...it's still all their own fault.

Hey, we currently have over a 2 week supply of food, and winter is ending in 4 days. We haven't had large-scale starvation in over a month. Our main problem is that the supply tends to balloon--either all of our supplier have 2000 bushels they are dying to sell us, or nobody does.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 19, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
Might have something to do with the weather problems noted here, perhaps indirectly? Five Realms suddenly having no Food will increase demand.

I don't know about Riombara from after the Fourth Invasion, but Rines can be a pain to feed, especially if it secedes away from the southern food supplies. Rines would have revolted against MR due starvation in a week or two if it had not returned to Riombara. If the Invasion becomes too severe and the Rurals get depopulated, Rines will suffer again this Invasion. Though maybe the new migration code will work in our favour a bit as hungry peasants of Rines might move to produce Food in the depopulated Rurals in such a scenario.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 19, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »
Everything from Fwuvoghor to Eno, practically to Jiddington, is a net-starvation area. It can only be fed by importation from the great plains to the west, or the breadbaskets of the north.

I imagine the same is true on Atamara. Two giant cities (Eno and Rines), several small/moderate sized cities, limited rurals... starvation.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 19, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »
Arcaea has too mcuh land, and can't control it all. That's why it's all going rogue. Couple that with the same problem Toupellon has: a banker not doing their job. Toupellon produces a surplus, but can't manage it well enough to keep everyone fed. Cathay was probably in the same position. Don't know about Ethiala, that was before my time.

The Arcaean problems with holding land are due to war and starvation.  When Arcaea wasn't at war, and had stable food imports from Arcachon, it held everything just fine.  As far as I can tell, the northern half of FEI is net negative food wise unless you count all that nice farmland in Arcachon, which basically has to be its own realm.

As for Toupellon...Arcaea produces a theoretical surplus as well, but I've never seen it actually work in practice.  It may be confirmation bias (I hate food) but we seem to have considerably more bad weather than good.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"