Author Topic: The Zuma  (Read 219298 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Zuma
« Reply #615: April 01, 2013, 06:52:56 AM »
It would be... if this were a competitive game. But it's not. It's a cross between Dungeons and Dragons and a board game like Risk. Think of the Zuma game master as the dungeon master of this Risk game. He's not here to abuse power by beating people and claiming victory -- no, he's here to facilitate the story telling process. The unfortunate thing is that most of the players don't care about the story and just want to level up and find epic loot, so to speak.

And you know what? If I was a DM and my group wanted to fight and find epic loot, I wouldn't punish them, I wouldn't ruin the game, I wouldn't arbitrarily destroy their stuff and claim that they aren't playing the game the way I want them to, I'd do what they want. If I don't do what they want, I'm a !@#$ty DM, they stop playing with me. That's the way it goes. The DM is providing a service, the game is not about him, it is about the players.

But they can't leave this !@#$ty powertripping DM because they have literally invested hundreds or thousands of hours into their sandbox, and this toddler is running around and smashing !@#$ up because he's not being paid attention to. !@#$ that.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre