Author Topic: The Zuma  (Read 215982 times)

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Zuma
« Reply #465: February 19, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »
I think I misunderstood Vellos post above, my apolegies.
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #466: February 20, 2013, 01:35:58 AM »
Aurvandil doesn't just "play with their friends"  I am there and so are several who follow me.  Plus there have been a few immigrants and they are accepted and included.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #467: February 20, 2013, 08:11:27 AM »
We gonna go "Aurvandil clan, cheating accusations" route again?
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #468: February 20, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »
We gonna go "Aurvandil clan, cheating accusations" route again?

Not what I said.

I said I fear that if Aurvandil and Falkirk are destroyed, many of the players may quit the game.

That wasn't me saying "good riddance." That was me saying "this is unfortunate."

Just like many players quit after Thulsoma, Summerdale, and Averoth. When big groups play together, they lend themselves to volatility.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #469: February 22, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »
Not what I said.

I said I fear that if Aurvandil and Falkirk are destroyed, many of the players may quit the game.

That wasn't me saying "good riddance." That was me saying "this is unfortunate."

Just like many players quit after Thulsoma, Summerdale, and Averoth. When big groups play together, they lend themselves to volatility.

I can't imagine players from Aurvandil will have anywhere to go, from what I hear any large groups of players from Aurvandil (Large being defined as three or more) who join a realm get immediately put under the suspicion of clanning, get banned, or get isolated for months and not allowed to be involved in the realm processes, and any attempts to get involved are seen as a clan take over (I won't name any realms). You can imagine the response if Aurvandil characters start emigrating to another continent, or try to join another realm on Dwilight. It won't go down well.

I don't fear players will leave if Aurvandil falls because it fell, more that they'll leave because it'll be difficult for them to find any other realms they'll be welcome to play in.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #470: February 22, 2013, 12:02:07 PM »
I can't imagine players from Aurvandil will have anywhere to go, from what I hear any large groups of players from Aurvandil (Large being defined as three or more) who join a realm get immediately put under the suspicion of clanning, get banned, or get isolated for months and not allowed to be involved in the realm processes, and any attempts to get involved are seen as a clan take over (I won't name any realms). You can imagine the response if Aurvandil characters start emigrating to another continent, or try to join another realm on Dwilight. It won't go down well.

I don't fear players will leave if Aurvandil falls because it fell, more that they'll leave because it'll be difficult for them to find any other realms they'll be welcome to play in.

Whatever happened to creating a brand new character in a random realm without being part of a pre-defined group?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #471: February 22, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
Whatever happened to creating a brand new character in a random realm without being part of a pre-defined group?

We're talking about over 60 players here, with only a finite number of realms one can consider "worth joining" (based on good continents, to those that are actually doing something), obviously players who join new realms tend to overlap at times, as has been the case in the past and apart of the problem of it seeming premeditated.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #472: February 22, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »

Impossible, we're persecuted everywhere we go.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #473: February 22, 2013, 09:39:14 PM »
Impossible, we're persecuted everywhere we go.

Without starting a flamewar, here's a suggestion:

Stop saying "we go." When you get somewhere, find a character with the same last name as a character that fought against Aurvandil. Latch onto them as an ally. Try not to coordinate with each other. Work to make conflicts with players you've previously supported.

Many long-term players do this. For example, Perth and I are OOC friends from high school and our characters have often supported each other ICly. At the same time, I know Perth was plotting a secession movement against one of my characters, and I've worked at trying to drive some division between Kale and Hireshmont recently.

Different example, my character Onamont joined Caelum: why? Because I knew it had a lot of players I don't traditionally play alongside.

Or consider the alliance between a Telrunya, a Chenier, and a Vellos that created the Terran-D'Hara alliance. Most Aurvandil players weren't around then but, if you were, you'd know how silly such an alliance was. Marche Telrunya was a major Riombaran politician... and Hireshmont I Vellos was a repeated traitor/enemy of Riombara and ardent monarchist. Cheniers are associated with Enweil, another traditional foe of Riombara, yet the Enweil Cheniers and Hireshmont I had rather unfriendly relations as well.

But we made a point of playing with our opponents. And we did so vocally.

The problem with the "Aurvandil players" is not that they sometimes play in the same realm. It's that there have been repeated instances where they appear to be playing in a coordinated fashion always with the same players– and are typified by silence to the rest of the realm.

I am not trying to start a flamewar, I am honestly trying to respond to the concern you are expressing in as positive a way as I can.

Basically: start building the fame of your last name instead of your first name and realm name. I was going to make a comment about this, but then realized I don't know the last name of any characters in Aurvandil, because I've almost never encountered any of them anywhere else IG. I'd love to play alongside some fun, charismatic RPers elsewhere: I just never see ya'll. And the rare instances I do, it's a big blob that's still all playing for the same team (or at least it looks that way, and no evident effort to do otherwise seems apparent).

I do apologize if this seems harsh or anything– that is really not my intent.

Of course, I don't anticipate Aurvandil being destroyed aaaaaanytime soon. We're probably getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves there. :P I'd just like to see Barca survive the month.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #474: February 23, 2013, 01:04:18 AM »
words

Holy !@#$, a sensible, well-reasoned and salient point? On the BM forums?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #475: February 23, 2013, 01:46:36 AM »
Actually, the premise of his post rests on an unfounded generalisation and presumption of how Aurvandil's players conduct themselves abroad. Were we to approach this issue from a parallel ground, we would not do so by first jumping to such conclusions. So, the post is quite indistinguishable from the great masses of posts found elsewhere on this forum. It is inadequate for a man of thought, like myself.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #476: February 23, 2013, 01:55:22 AM »
Actually, the premise of his post rests on an unfounded generalisation and presumption of how Aurvandil's players conduct themselves abroad. Were we to approach this issue from a parallel ground, we would not do so by first jumping to such conclusions. So, the post is quite indistinguishable from the great masses of posts found elsewhere on this forum. It is inadequate for a man of thought, like myself.
Two things; the point is rather general though I would agree to it applying to Aurvandil's situation and he is right on none of Aurvandil being known outside of their Aurvandilian character. As has been stated, you have 60 characters yet I can only think of one player that has a character outside of Aurvandil and a character in Aurvandil. That doesn't mean none of the players play outside of Aurvandil but that none try with their characters outside of Aurvandil. (When I say none, it obviously means very few, not actually none.)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #477: February 23, 2013, 02:34:07 AM »
It is inadequate for a man of thought, like myself.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #478: February 23, 2013, 03:41:20 AM »

That is literally the most pompous thing I have ever read on the BM forums.

You deserve a trophy.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #479: February 23, 2013, 04:13:09 AM »
Holy !@#$, a sensible, well-reasoned and salient point? On the BM forums?
Yet this?
It is inadequate for a man of thought, like myself.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton