Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Aurvandil's War Machine

Started by Chenier, February 01, 2012, 02:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chenier

Quote from: De-Legro on February 02, 2012, 12:01:20 AM
Then why not send a PM to a member of the Dev Team or Tom? Why post in public on the forum? This whole topic was just inviting a flame war and was always going to end with people venting against Aurvandil.

People have been respecful, have they not? I haven't seen a single flame.

Can't write to magistrates because they lack investigation powers. Can't file a titan report against a realm. I know Tom is pretty busy and I'm not sure if the devs can/do this kind of thing, nor how to contact them. Hence why I asked here, hoping perhaps someone who saw how things go on in Aurvandil could shed some light.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

Quote from: Chénier on February 02, 2012, 03:51:27 AMCan't write to magistrates because they lack investigation powers.
If it becomes necessary to investigate something like this, Tom is willing to provide the Magistrates with the information they will need via the tools to which he has access.

QuoteCan't file a titan report against a realm.
If you think that you need to file a Titan's report against a realm, report the ruler, and specify the details in the report that the problem applies to the entire realm.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

DoctorHarte

Quote from: Chénier on February 02, 2012, 03:51:27 AM

Can't write to magistrates because they lack investigation powers. Can't file a titan report against a realm. I know Tom is pretty busy and I'm not sure if the devs can/do this kind of thing, nor how to contact them. Hence why I asked here, hoping perhaps someone who saw how things go on in Aurvandil could shed some light.

As Banker of the realm and a clear individual, I can say there's been no cheating or I would've seen it somehow. What mainly happens is constant investments from a variety of players who have Lordships on other characters. Constant investments into our capital with a high number of nobles and high tax rate. Plus a single-city realm has cheaper recruits.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Bedwyr

Quote from: Chénier on February 01, 2012, 11:56:51 PM
Nobody said they were cheating. But many of us are wondering if they are. It's not the same.

I'd just like someone with the power to check to look if it's all legit. Just a legitimacy check would satisfy me.

As I said, those with the ability to look have been informed.  If there's anything shady going on, I have little doubt it will be discovered.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

You can send a PM through the forum to any member of the Dev Team.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

^ban^

I know Tom is pretty busy and I'm not sure if the devs can/do this kind of thing, nor how to contact them.

Bah, that's just bullhockey right there. You spent years on IRC!
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Feylonis

Whoa whoa whoa, I don't think we players of Saxon Thulsoma actually did 'cheat'. We leeched off family gold, burned through honour/prestige, then recouped lost honour/prestige during the sieges, heh. Then the mechanics were changed to make that not-possible, so prior to that, I think it was a legal way to defend a keep.

Velax

No, it was not. Contrary to the motto that exploiters just love to bleat, just because something isn't specifically banned by a developer doesn't mean it's legit to use. Common sense and a sense of fair play should be exercised by a player to figure out if something is fine to do or simply an abuse that hasn't been reported yet. Unfortunately not everyone has that sense of fair play.

Anaris

There was no explicit punishment for the abuse of family gold because there was no explicit rule forbidding it.

However, it was clearly abuse of the system, in a way we had never thought people would be brazen enough to try, which is why we went to considerable trouble to put in additional safeguards to prevent anyone else from getting the mistaken impression that their family's fortune is their personal ever-regenerating pot of money to be drawn on at will.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Archbane

Quote from: De-Legro on February 01, 2012, 12:31:48 PM
Yes I remember. A few lions remained but certainly the bulk of the force left within the same turn.

The lion was a small army, not amounting to more than fifteen people if I remember correctly. And back then the other armies of Fontan were averaging 80% movement rate, but that's excluding the 1/4 to 1/3 of your army who doesn't have a unit, have difficulty intepreting orders, wounded, in jail, inactive, or decided time was better spent exploring the capital. Even Sirion with 120 nobles then, on average I see them fielding 40-60 nobles in attack.

To have 41 out of 43 nobles be warriors, that's impressive.
To have 41 out of 43 nobles field units, that's terrific.
To have 41 out of 43 nobles attack in cohesion, PRICELESS!

You guys deserve a pat on the back, or many pats on the same back? I'm really curious.

Quote from: Bedwyr on February 02, 2012, 05:49:57 AM
As I said, those with the ability to look have been informed.  If there's anything shady going on, I have little doubt it will be discovered.

The smart criminals are generally two steps ahead of the cops.

Anaris

Quote from: Archbane on February 02, 2012, 07:28:19 PM
The smart criminals are generally two steps ahead of the cops.

The cops don't have hooks into the source code of the world letting them know what the criminals are doing at every step, with no way for the criminals to avoid it if they want to stay in the game (which, in the cop/criminal case, is "life" ;D ).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Archbane

Quote from: Anaris on February 02, 2012, 07:55:14 PM
The cops don't have hooks into the source code of the world letting them know what the criminals are doing at every step, with no way for the criminals to avoid it if they want to stay in the game (which, in the cop/criminal case, is "life" ;D ).

i guess you're right...

Velax

Quote from: Anaris on February 02, 2012, 07:55:14 PM

Unless you're an Agent...

Tom

^ban^

Quote from: Velax on February 02, 2012, 08:03:48 PM
Unless you're an Agent...

The best part of being me...

Is that there's so many of me.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.