Author Topic: Villains make the game fun  (Read 37044 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Villains make the game fun
« Reply #60: October 19, 2012, 05:24:49 AM »
Can we talk about Dwilight villians only? I think this thread would be better in general discussion. 

Garrett Artemesia was a villian in my opinion. A man who shunned his fellow man to work with Daimons. Haruka of the Saxon Thulsoma was also a villian. There has to be more.

oooo, yes, Garret. He was definitely a villain.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: October 19, 2012, 05:31:01 AM »
Oh, wait, no– I know a villain!

Delvin Anaris. The most vile and conniving villain I have ever encountered in BM.

Take that Tim. You villain.

+1
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: October 19, 2012, 05:59:54 AM »
Cato de la Fere!

Jim

« Reply #63: October 19, 2012, 06:41:33 AM »
Cato de la Fere!

I almost thought you were talking about my Cato, he wasn't a hero or a villain, just a dumbass.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: October 19, 2012, 06:54:10 AM »
I almost thought you were talking about my Cato, he wasn't a hero or a villain, just a dumbass.

^

Truth. Neither good nor bad, just dim.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: October 19, 2012, 07:24:07 AM »
Yeah... I vote Nasty Delvin.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Jim

« Reply #66: October 19, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »
^

Truth. Neither good nor bad, just dim.

Hehe

And he was used by many. A Marshal in Iashular (I forgot his name, but damn he was a good marshal) used him, Allison used him, but he hated Zuma so bounced to be used elsewhere, Erasmus used him and quite a few people used him in Solaria. A Banker in Terran tried to use him while he was out trading, but failed, Cato had FINALLY met an intellectual inferior, but barely. Playing a dimwitted pawn can be just as fun as a villain.

Anyone know of any other dimwitted pawns? I think they fit in on this thread.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:30:55 AM by T-Rex Messiah »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: October 19, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
Oh, wait, no– I know a villain!

Delvin Anaris. The most vile and conniving villain I have ever encountered in BM.

Take that Tim. You villain.

Delvin Anaris is totally a villain.

Then there's Alanna Anaris. I swear, we'll get her head on a pike one day.  >:(
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: October 19, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
As I said earlier, I have no problem with the characterization of Alanna as a villain.

However, I would challenge anyone to provide evidence of Delvin as a villain that doesn't boil down to, "He was an effective ruler of a realm I considered an enemy."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: October 19, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
As I said earlier, I have no problem with the characterization of Alanna as a villain.

However, I would challenge anyone to provide evidence of Delvin as a villain that doesn't boil down to, "He was an effective ruler of a realm I considered an enemy."

He continuously pressed for aggression against his neighbors and is responsible for the murder of a royal.  ;D
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: October 19, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »
He continuously pressed for aggression against his neighbors and is responsible for the murder of a royal.  ;D

He continually pressed for the punishment of an expansionist, imperialistic, oppressive realm for their crimes against the rest of the continent.

And while I may be responsible for the murder of a Royal, Delvin is not, save perhaps in a "the buck stops here" sort of way. He neither authorized nor condoned the execution of...Katya? I'm terribly sorry, but I've forgotten her name now, after about 4 years. (He did, however, privately rejoice in her death.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: October 19, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
He continually pressed for the punishment of an expansionist, imperialistic, oppressive realm for their crimes against the rest of the continent.

And while I may be responsible for the murder of a Royal, Delvin is not, save perhaps in a "the buck stops here" sort of way. He neither authorized nor condoned the execution of...Katya? I'm terribly sorry, but I've forgotten her name now, after about 4 years. (He did, however, privately rejoice in her death.)

He was the sovereign in place, and therefore assumes responsibility for the acts of his government. He also failed to properly punish the guilty person. ;)

Katia Zotral, I believe it was spelled. Hey, it's been a long time for me too! :P

He was just like Alanna, always threatening his neighbors.  8)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: October 19, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

He was a friend of commoners, a pluralist, and a convinced Democrat– thus, a villain. A leveler and enemy of nobility.

And he was a wee bit of a demagogue and warmonger... (indeed, my character Cyrilos in Riombara was intended as a parody of Delvin).
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: October 23, 2012, 03:47:04 AM »
Hmm, looking through all these posts. Not many people want become Villains. What do you all think if we give incentive for having a Villain character? 8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: October 23, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
Hmm, looking through all these posts. Not many people want become Villains. What do you all think if we give incentive for having a Villain character? 8)

I don't think we'll ever have a decent amount of bad guys. People much prefer to use their characters as more reasonable and intelligent avatars of themselves and little else.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre