Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Soloist advies

Started by Chenier, November 06, 2012, 12:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foundation

Quote from: Glaumring on November 09, 2012, 03:44:14 AM
Adventuring needs some dev love. I have one Advy and he is a hermit and mainly just gathers stuff and lives in a mud hut. He interacts with whoever heads through his area but he rarely travels.  I don't post many hunting links anymore since I stopped hunting.

Sometimes dev love is tough love.  Many a features have disappeared from too much love. ;)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

johnjacob

The adventurer class is merely the RP aspect of BM.  It is designed for players to toil away for months (real life months) and incorporate rps.  If you aren't interested in RPing then stick with standard nobles.

Bluelake

I love playing advies exactly because of that. You can interact, roleplay, do your thing or work together, all that without having to worry about wars, politics, and whatnot. It's my comic relief, it's the char where I go to rest. I can't play BM wihtout an advy anymore. :)

However, I don't know why, but it's been awfully hard to hunt, lately. I don't remember it being so bad being wounded last time I played an advy. All I do is get wounded, and it has been lasting 3-4 days at a time, enough for me to stop hunting larger than 3-5 groups. I think the wounding system was improved to be more meaningful to nobles, but it really hurt the advies. Someone also said that above a certain equipment tier/skill level, the game becomes harder, you get wounded much worse, and more frequently, fighting the same groups you did on lower equip, so they stopped purchasing equip above 55% (was that it?)

I haven't reached that high yet, but maybe there's a bug? I'll try to keep some kind of hunting record on my advy in Belu, to see if this stands true...
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Dishman

Quote from: Bluelake on January 31, 2013, 03:25:36 PM
Someone also said that above a certain equipment tier/skill level, the game becomes harder, you get wounded much worse, and more frequently, fighting the same groups you did on lower equip, so they stopped purchasing equip above 55% (was that it?)

I haven't reached that high yet, but maybe there's a bug? I'll try to keep some kind of hunting record on my advy in Belu, to see if this stands true...

I would be interested to see if that is true. If upgrading your equipment turns into a penalty, that would be horrible.

I used an EC advy for RP, but never really got too much back from it. Started a new advy in Bel and have mostly just been sending hunting reports at lvl3/4. Some folk return the favor. Never have the gold to join them fancy guilds, though.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Anaris

I love playing advies exactly because of that. You can interact, roleplay, do your thing or work together, all that without having to worry about wars, politics, and whatnot. It's my comic relief, it's the char where I go to rest. I can't play BM wihtout an advy anymore. :)

However, I don't know why, but it's been awfully hard to hunt, lately. I don't remember it being so bad being wounded last time I played an advy. All I do is get wounded, and it has been lasting 3-4 days at a time, enough for me to stop hunting larger than 3-5 groups. I think the wounding system was improved to be more meaningful to nobles, but it really hurt the advies. Someone also said that above a certain equipment tier/skill level, the game becomes harder, you get wounded much worse, and more frequently, fighting the same groups you did on lower equip, so they stopped purchasing equip above 55% (was that it?)

If that's true at all, it's definitely a bug.

I'm looking at the monster-fighting code right now, and it doesn't even look at your equipment except to limit your skill level.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bluelake

Quote from: Anaris on January 31, 2013, 05:54:09 PM
If that's true at all, it's definitely a bug.

I'm looking at the monster-fighting code right now, and it doesn't even look at your equipment except to limit your skill level.

The problem could be with skill level, then. Not sure. As I said, I'm still at the very low tiers (5-10%).
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Anaris

Quote from: Bluelake on January 31, 2013, 06:53:10 PM
The problem could be with skill level, then. Not sure. As I said, I'm still at the very low tiers (5-10%).

Er...no. I don't see how it could.

It would be possible that the skill-level limitation is bugged such that everyone has an approximately even chance against monsters, but not so that an advy with 55% skill and equipment would be more likely to be wounded or die than with 25%.

My guess would be, whoever said that is either just frustrated and having some confirmation bias issues, or missing the fact that at higher skill levels, you can skip the early groups altogether and start on harder groups.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bluelake

Quote from: Anaris on January 31, 2013, 07:15:43 PM
Er...no. I don't see how it could.

It would be possible that the skill-level limitation is bugged such that everyone has an approximately even chance against monsters, but not so that an advy with 55% skill and equipment would be more likely to be wounded or die than with 25%.

My guess would be, whoever said that is either just frustrated and having some confirmation bias issues, or missing the fact that at higher skill levels, you can skip the early groups altogether and start on harder groups.

Probably. That's why I said I'd start taking note of my own.

What does change in higher tiers? As skill increases what happens? Chance against monsters improves, or just the ability to go into the higher tiers - that means, less use of hours and fatigue gained? If we can start at higher groups, shouldn't we fight these groups with the same ease that a low-skill fights a lower level group? Do we spend much less hours killing larger groups and end up reaching proportionately higher groups on the same turn?

Anaris

Quote from: Bluelake on January 31, 2013, 08:31:35 PM
Probably. That's why I said I'd start taking note of my own.

What does change in higher tiers? As skill increases what happens? Chance against monsters improves, or just the ability to go into the higher tiers - that means, less use of hours and fatigue gained? If we can start at higher groups, shouldn't we fight these groups with the same ease that a low-skill fights a lower level group? Do we spend much less hours killing larger groups and end up reaching proportionately higher groups on the same turn?

As your skill increases, you should have a better chance of defeating any given group of monsters or undead. I haven't done the numbers, but presumably at some point, you will be as likely to defeat a level 3 group as a beginning adventurer is to defeat a level 1.

Aside from being able to skip automatically to higher groups, there is no change in the number of hours used or fatigue gained (that I know of).
Timothy Collett

Geronus

Maybe the character just got old. Happens fast to Advies that hunt regularly since wounds increase a character's physical age. Getting older in turn means your character at the very least takes longer to recover from wounds and has (I believe) a greater chance of having their wounds get worse before they get better.

Eirikr

I know this isn't helping, but I don't seem to have that problem at all. My equipment is pretty low (~11%), not sure where my skill is... But I've only been wounded twice in about a year of having an advy.

As far as RP goes, I didn't have much luck until I got captured by a judge. First it was Sorraine's judge that let me go on my plea of ignorance of borders and then Arcaea's judge allowed to let me go if I joined them. Now I regularly repair items for both the judge and the king, with some pretty awesome RP from both (but Velax does it better).

I've only once or twice ran into an advy that was (first of all in the same region) willing to tag team some monsters. There was less RP and more plain confusion as to whether or not we should help eachother. (To be fair, I often post the link to all advies to follow up on it myself later, but I'm fine with someone taking the group over.)

Azerax

I've played adv on 2 islands in the last year and there are rarely other adv's around to send info to. (East Island and Dwilight, Dwilight is a bit better).

I can tear through to group 5 no problem and my gear is around 8% (he's newish)