Author Topic: Exile should not block banishment  (Read 13963 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Exile should not block banishment
« Reply #15: April 07, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
Um...the ban goes into effect immediately. That prevents banking and recruiting.

The ban does not make the noble a rogue until three turns have passed.

Whoawhoawhoa, what an abundance of learning today.  :o
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

fifo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 08, 2011, 12:37:32 AM »
Nice.

Well, anyways. It doesn't see to make a lot of sense to me. Neither technically, nor from an IG perspective. Being in exile shouldn't save someone from being banned.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #17: April 08, 2011, 01:38:02 AM »
It's a question of whether someone wants to live a life in the realm with basically nothing or set out to start anew somewhere else.

If exile works as described in the ruler command, then exiled noble should have very few messages, and can't use the banks, can't recruit, etc. If you're really spiteful of the ruler, you could stay, but then you have one character doing basically nothing.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 08, 2011, 02:18:05 AM »
Nothing except causing the Ruler to lose honour (every day) and prestige (every week).  And if you get your taxes in gold, then not being able to use a bank isn't that much of a problem.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: April 08, 2011, 02:22:02 AM »
What else though? If all that can be done is collect gold, then it appears that such is not strong enough incentive to keep people around in a realm.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 08, 2011, 02:23:56 AM »
I've seen people do it. I guess the joy of watching the ruler lose honour and prestige is more then enough reward.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #21: April 08, 2011, 02:29:57 AM »
Yes, but I have a feeling that the point was not only to make it a battle of spite but also something that would actually make the exiled noble want to leave. It would be a sort of alternative to banning, in that instead of telling the noble he is banished from the realm, he is told that there is nothing for him in the realm. While not forbidden from entering the lands, there would be no home waiting for him.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 08, 2011, 02:34:13 AM »
Yes, but I have a feeling that the point was not only to make it a battle of spite but also something that would actually make the exiled noble want to leave. It would be a sort of alternative to banning, in that instead of telling the noble he is banished from the realm, he is told that there is nothing for him in the realm. While not forbidden from entering the lands, there would be no home waiting for him.

Exactly, and the only real incentive people have to stick around is pure spite. Or if they are a priest I would guess it wouldn't impact them too badly.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 08, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »
Psh, I've been exiled twice on two different characters and neither were anywhere close to royalty. The first time was an OOC exile but the second one, which was actually last week, was on a 9-day old character who looted a neutral realm's city. I don't know why the Assassins didn't just ban me - I can still argue and make them very mad at me.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 08, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
Seems to me that spite is more than enough reason to stick around in a situation like that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #25: April 08, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
Well it's not my character that's doing nothing but talking smack, so to each his own.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 09, 2011, 12:05:24 AM »
Well it's not my character that's doing nothing but talking smack, so to each his own.

Thanks.. he is doing more than that but I didn't mention it on here to ruin the whole plot?
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #27: April 09, 2011, 12:23:35 AM »
My post was meant for the general public, but if it applies to you, then...good that you enjoy making the ruler lose H/P?

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 09, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
My post was meant for the general public, but if it applies to you, then...good that you enjoy making the ruler lose H/P?

Oh definitely. But he really doesn't lose much H/P every turn. It would take over 3-4 months for it to hurt.. probably even more?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #29: April 10, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Depends on what the ruler does, and his initial H/P. For a theocracy ruler priest, that might be pretty awful because they might not have particularly high H/P and there isn't much they can do if they're not a lord or judge to regain any.