Author Topic: Caelum  (Read 128705 times)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Caelum
« Reply #360: February 01, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
I disagree with you. This was not because "we were bored".

For me, speaking personally, the biggest issue was that we went to a realm to help create it. We were shut out and told to be silent by the ruler. As if we had no saying on what was going to happen on the realm. You add the "you have to swear your loyalty to me" part...and that is it. Protests against the ruler. Not because I am bored, witch I wasn't, but because I, IC (and OOC later), was not treated with respect, and was being shut out of something I wanted to be a part of.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #361: February 01, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
The problem in this 'matter' is because there is two ways to play (or RP) this game:
1-You make whatever you want with your characters, and then, you look for an OC reason for it. (or not)
2-You make your characters to do the things you think your medieval-noble would do. Not matter you would want him to do other things.

I would rather see it as a two-way process:

1. You create your character with whatever specific character flaws or virtues he may have. Some will be psychotic, some courageous, some paranoid, some competent. You can do that for completely OOC reason.

2. From then on, your character should act only with IC reasons, given the background you have decided he would have. Of course, he's a medieval noble, but not all characters are just lambda-type medieval nobles.

If you want your character to do something which may be a bit on the weird side, it's fine, as long as it is consistent with how your character as acted in the past and will in the future.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362: February 01, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
I'm sorry, Poliorketes, but you are truly mistaken. There was no "I'm bored, let's have fun" in this at all. Most everyone's IC motivations are clearly visible IG in the messages they sent. There are, of course, some characters who came into the realm with an agenda. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it is for IC reasons. This realm was a powder keg of conflicting personalities waiting to explode. The heavy-handed way it was ruled, combined with the judge's behavior, was more than enough to set it off.

@naidraug: there's nothing wrong with an oath of fealty. Not many people actually RP it in game, but it is something that would have happened. Ralina's objecctions to it were two-fold. First, it was extremely over-reaching, binding the characters entire family to the realm for all time. I don't think that's normal. Secondly, Victus refused to state what his part of the oath would be in return. He said "you'll find out later." That's just not acceptable. You don't demand an oath of service from someone and then tell them that they'll find out later what they get in return. These are done in a solem ceremony.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #363: February 01, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

@naidraug: there's nothing wrong with an oath of fealty. Not many people actually RP it in game, but it is something that would have happened. Ralina's objecctions to it were two-fold. First, it was extremely over-reaching, binding the characters entire family to the realm for all time. I don't think that's normal. Secondly, Victus refused to state what his part of the oath would be in return. He said "you'll find out later." That's just not acceptable. You don't demand an oath of service from someone and then tell them that they'll find out later what they get in return. These are done in a solem ceremony.

yes I agree there is nothing wrong with them, what I meant to say was the way it was presented. As if the oath was a way to make us do what ever he wanted to. Instead of something of honor, sounded more like a validation for the character to tell us to shut up and obey.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364: February 01, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »
Ahhh, I see what you mean.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #365: February 03, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
Anyway. The elections have started and thus far this is how they look:

Judge: Alaron, Henzo, Gaius, Edmundus
Banker: Alaron, Gawain, Gaius (by bug, it seems)

Alaron, Henzo and Gaius seem to have similar policies - exonerating Onamont, consulting on laws and implementing a court (at least for Alaron and Gaius). Edmundus is seemingly running as a protest against Alaron seeing as he refused to duel a mere knight over something trivial.

As for the banker, both Alaron and Gawain have said they will be looking at trade agreements with other realms in order to feed their lands. Nothing really to tell them apart at the moment.

Place your bets, place your bets! I'm going with Gaius for Judge, and Alaron for Banker.

T Strike

• Noble Lord
  • What happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366: February 03, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
Mine is the same as Ravier: Alaron banker and Gaius judge.
Westmoor: Cross... Coria: Yenom... Caelum: Gawain... Astrum: Ekirt

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #367: February 03, 2013, 11:36:17 PM »
Lemme tell ya– life as a rogue is very lonely.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #368: February 03, 2013, 11:56:01 PM »
Lemme tell ya– life as a rogue is very lonely.
So join another realm for a few days.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #369: February 04, 2013, 06:50:53 AM »
So join another realm for a few days.

Meh, not worth the effort. And that would constitute an admission that the ban was legitimate, and require Onamont to provide an oath of fealty, a thing he does not lightly do.

As far as Onamont is concerned, Edmundus did not legally ban him, and he remains a noble of Caelum, he merely awaits the proper administrative correction of the matter.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chaotrance13

« Reply #370: February 06, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
And that "administrative correction" has been applied by your new Justicarius. Who won by a single vote.. closest election I've been in, the last couple were whitewashes. :P

Now, time to get used to being a Judge. Always wanted to be one. ;D

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #371: February 06, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
Aaaaand Onamont is back.

Now we give him Mokut.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #372: February 06, 2013, 06:37:34 PM »
Aaaaand Onamont is back.

Now we give him Mokut.

Good luck with that. Victus is more or less untouchable where he is. Let's see:

1. He's a Duke, so even if you manage to get him out of the lordship by stabbing him or some such, he can just reappoint himself.

2. He's a Royal, so he's un-bannable.

3. He's a priest, so good luck getting to a point where you can auto da fe him.

4. Mokut is a rural region, so there will be no starving him out.

So yeah, if he decides not to step out of the Duchy or the Lordship when asked, what, exactly, are we going to do about it?

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #373: February 06, 2013, 09:26:57 PM »
We can't remove him, but we can ostracize him.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #374: February 06, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
We can't remove him, but we can ostracize him.

Well that, I am sure, will probably happen. It's a shame that you can't force Dukes to secede anymore. Though I guess we could just hand the region to Nothoi, dissolve the Duchy, then get it back.