Author Topic: And a new realm lives!  (Read 181485 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: And a new realm lives!
« Reply #540: February 04, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
I've seen two or three vulgarity messages and declared every one of them vulgar. They all contained things that just seemed inconceivable for a noble to say, in a manner which would not be acceptable.

I generally think vulgarity is underused, not over-used.

Also, vulgarity is emphatically NOT an OOC language police feature. Hence why you can't flag OOC messages as vulgar. It's an IC tool for IC breaches of etiquette.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #541: February 04, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
Congrats on being the only one to think that Vellos. Considering you are one of those people that in the past has been considered abusing that system, that says much regarding your opinion on the subject.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #542: February 04, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »
If you read the featyre description, it's all IC.

The earlier abuse was about using it as a way of leaking messages; which, yes, is abuse and, no, I don't do anymore.

I'm saying that the messages I saw did appear vulgar. I may have seen different messages, of course.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #543: February 04, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »
...They all contained things that just seemed inconceivable for a noble to say, in a manner which would not be acceptable....

Inconceivable for an ordinary noble to say. The Demon of Dwilight, however, is not an ordinary noble. Bowie is often a target of vulgarity reports (which I am sure many of you have seen), but I have to say that to deem his words vulgar, even when they are, is taking him and his speech out of context. He's possessed by a demon. What kind of demon says, "please and thank you," and "what a lovely day we're having madame." He's a bomb thrower, an eye gouger. It's his job to spark controversy and rant. I hoped that people would enjoy the depths he can reach when he really gets fired up :)
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #544: February 04, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
Inconceivable for an ordinary noble to say. The Demon of Dwilight, however, is not an ordinary noble. Bowie is often a target of vulgarity reports (which I am sure many of you have seen), but I have to say that to deem his words vulgar, even when they are, is taking him and his speech out of context. He's possessed by a demon. What kind of demon says, "please and thank you," and "what a lovely day we're having madame." He's a bomb thrower, an eye gouger. It's his job to spark controversy and rant. I hoped that people would enjoy the depths he can reach when he really gets fired up :)

He wouldn't be viewed as having much etiquette, and thus wouldn't get much respect from many. Thus the honor drops. There's no further consequences, so it's all fine.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #545: February 04, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »

It doesn't matter whether he's possessed by a demon. He still gets exactly the same benefit of the doubt when it comes to mode of speech as every other noble.

If you, the player, were to go up to a large, angry biker and call him a series of vulgar names, would you expect him to ask whether you were possessed by a demon before beating you to a pulp?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #546: February 04, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
He wouldn't be viewed as having much etiquette, and thus wouldn't get much respect from many. Thus the honor drops. There's no further consequences, so it's all fine.

Since the vulgarity feature is IC, I have to agree with this. It's not abuse or a breach of the social contract, it's just a normal consequence for your character. You don't have to stop, only to accept the inevitable consequences.

It's like the honour drop for infiltrator actions.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547: February 04, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
Inconceivable for an ordinary noble to say. The Demon of Dwilight, however, is not an ordinary noble.
Actually, he is ordinary. He is as ordinary as every other noble on the entire island. He gets no special treatment, other than that which he can demand IC, and enforce through his own actions. He does not get any special treatment just because you say he is "possessed".

He's possessed by a demon.
That may be your RP reason, but no one else is forced to accept that explanation. Everyone else is free to RP whatever reason they want. Such as Bowie is crazy, or a fool, or mentally deficient. Or all three.

What kind of demon says, "please and thank you," and "what a lovely day we're having madame." He's a bomb thrower, an eye gouger. It's his job to spark controversy and rant. I hoped that people would enjoy the depths he can reach when he really gets fired up :)
That's fine, but he still has to pay the consequences for his ignoble behavior.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #548: February 05, 2013, 12:23:56 AM »

Ooo! OOo! Ooo! I love special pleading!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #549: February 05, 2013, 04:59:24 AM »

"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #550: February 05, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »
Hahahahahaha, great meme choice JeVondair.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #551: February 05, 2013, 07:46:35 AM »
I, too, think the vulgarity feature is clearly a way to help regulate IC behavior/language and act accordingly when I am called upon to review a message. I've have recieved two in the past week or so from Swordfell I think.

However, I think both of those I chose befitting of a noble. You can insult people all you want, that's great. Just don't do it 1) with curse words, or 2) in a very 21st century internet flame fest manner.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #552: February 05, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
I've have a character that received vulgairyt because he was offensive, abused of cursed words... or even because he was chauvinist at some opportunities. In some of situations, a vulgarity because of the three at the same discussion.

And when I said I loved when I saw his messages being displayed as vulgarity, they stopped. Sometimes I felt it legitimate but some times are purely from OOC behavior reflected in game. They were not just judging the character and his personality, but what they, as players, don't like to see.

And yes, sometimes they used vulgarity in more exalted strategic discussions just to spread it to the entire continent. A shame.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #553: February 05, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »
A current update on Swordfell, Dwilight's most pathetic colony realm!

Skiarxon Guldan, in pursuit of the bounty on Creed Avon's head, has been chased out of the realm due to the harassments of the Judge and Ruler. Malvolia Cancelot, in a show of solidarity amongst the nobles of the Courts of Stone, has indicated she will leave as well.

The two-faced Abbigal says everyone will receive a fair trial, yet to this date, none of the legal matters of Swordfell have received anything close to a trial, let alone a fair one.

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #554: February 05, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »
A current update on Swordfell, Dwilight's most pathetic colony realm!

Skiarxon Guldan, in pursuit of the bounty on Creed Avon's head, has been chased out of the realm due to the harassments of the Judge and Ruler. Malvolia Cancelot, in a show of solidarity amongst the nobles of the Courts of Stone, has indicated she will leave as well.

The two-faced Abbigal says everyone will receive a fair trial, yet to this date, none of the legal matters of Swordfell have received anything close to a trial, let alone a fair one.

I never said I would stay long but I will come back for the giggles.