Author Topic: Personal Roleplay Guidelines  (Read 8707 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Personal Roleplay Guidelines
« Topic Start: February 26, 2013, 06:17:58 AM »
Having seen a few posts revolving around what some consider to be poor roleplays, I thought it would be interesting to discuss roleplay etiquette. The wiki provides a few examples but I am more interested in how various individuals approach it.

When receiving a roleplay I try to remember:
This is a game of communal story building. Others WILL contribute. I might no like all contributions but I will not take them personally either. It is just a game.

If I was not a part of the RP, my character knows nothing of it unless I take the time to produce a RP explaining how he gained that knowledge. Despite what others have suggested, I do not believe that a publically posted RP automatically makes the content of the RP public knowledge.

RPs, even those that seem to be iron tight and factual, are matters of perspective and can be undermined by a return RP. I have yet to see an exception to this.

When sending a roleplay I try to remember:
Roleplays should never contradict the game engine.

Do not RP the actions/thoughts/feelings/reactions of other PCs.

Do not change history.

Do not RP the actions/thoughts/feelings/reactions of the close and personal NPCs of other players.

It is fine to RP the actions of any other NPC as I see fit. Even the NPCs of another realm, religion or guild.

Write the RP as my characters perspective. This is especially important when dealing with other players perceived ‘turf’.

Have some player to player respect.

Select an appropriate audience and consider the characters and players on the receiving end.

The RP should be fun and grow the story. At best it should be Fun for me and many others. At worse it should be fun for me and acceptable to others.

Accept that some others will assume to know of a RP and try to use that knowledge to their benefit.

What guidelines do you all adhere to?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:21:29 PM by Unwin »