Author Topic: So I noticed something on IRC today...  (Read 14871 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: So I noticed something on IRC today...
« Reply #30: May 13, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
Exactly why I don't use IRC. For a start, if people behave on there like they do on these forums (and in-game at times) then it's a waste of time and effort just for aggression, rudeness, douchebaggery and the like.

They don't, fortunately. IRC often has its own lexicon, culture, etc. No excuse for rudeness, but it might help explain why a lot of people seem like jerks.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 13, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »
Exactly why I don't use IRC. For a start, if people behave on there like they do on these forums (and in-game at times) then it's a waste of time and effort just for aggression, rudeness, douchebaggery and the like. A pity, really, as I'm sure they're in the minority - but as always, it's the minority who spoil things for the majority.

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression, but this isn't the case at all. The vast majority of the time, IRC is, at least for me, by far the friendliest OOC interaction I get with other players.

It's just that some of the in-jokes amongst the long-time IRCers can seem offensive and/or rude to people new to chatting in that medium.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 13, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
One fight at IRC, or one bad discussion, or even one person being rude, to say the best, is not a reason to say IRC is not good and to avoid it.

You will find bad people and good people everywhere. You probably have people like this at your work, your school, your neighbor and you don't stop doing things because of them. You just ignore them.

So, no, don't tell me IRC is not good because of this. Is not enough to avoid all the good things we can have there. And we have. Lots, tons, thousands of good moments and a few of bad ones. Even Stabbity can provide lots of good moments.

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: May 14, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »
Andrew's not around anymore, how bad can it really be?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 14, 2013, 01:27:01 AM »
Exactly why I don't use IRC. For a start, if people behave on there like they do on these forums (and in-game at times) then it's a waste of time and effort just for aggression, rudeness, douchebaggery and the like. A pity, really, as I'm sure they're in the minority - but as always, it's the minority who spoil things for the majority.
While there are some trolling non-sense on IRC occasionally, *cough* Stabbity and Fleugs *cough* I have never seen anyone being aggressive on IRC.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: May 15, 2013, 06:23:16 AM »
You know what?
I see many of us here all day, reading the forum, looking for updates, looking for answers, answers that could be given in real time at IRC. All those arguments about "being trolled" or anything else doesn't really convince me.
People have some other reasons to avoid IRC and its ok.
Some like it, some doesn't. No one need to be there.
I will still think its delicious and will still miss the ones that aren't there.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Delinquent

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 02, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »
Speaking ingame is like playing the football match, talking on IRC is like reminiscing about the match with your mates over a beer.

I started playing and went to the IRC after I found the wiki didn't answer all my questions on how to play.

I was keen to learn and asked lots of questions. I was invited to make a new Noble in a realm where I could be helped and tutored. I did and as annoying as my questions might be, I have, I think, made a contribution in this realm and I have learned so much from these players. I enjoy this aspect of the game now that I understand more. The politics and history and reasons can be more confusing then the mechanics at times.

I'm learning the rules, getting answers and being helped on IRC, thanks to all these kind players. I can ignore the trolls and have gotten to know some really nice players. I have had some good laughs and largely enjoy interacting on there. But most of all I am a more confident player.
Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common.
Satchel Paige

Zakilevo

« Reply #37: June 02, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »
I started playing and went to the IRC after I found the wiki didn't answer all my questions on how to play.

I was keen to learn and asked lots of questions. I was invited to make a new Noble in a realm where I could be helped and tutored. I did and as annoying as my questions might be, I have, I think, made a contribution in this realm and I have learned so much from these players. I enjoy this aspect of the game now that I understand more. The politics and history and reasons can be more confusing then the mechanics at times.

I'm learning the rules, getting answers and being helped on IRC, thanks to all these kind players. I can ignore the trolls and have gotten to know some really nice players. I have had some good laughs and largely enjoy interacting on there. But most of all I am a more confident player.

Good to see a new player enjoying the game. Yes, there are trolls but it is good that you know how to ignore them. :D

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: June 02, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
IRC has been an integral part of my Battlemaster-experience pretty much since I began playing it. I'll admit I won't come over as nice to many people at all times but that really bothers me little. Recently I've also decided to hang out in #thalmarkin, since I heard it was more crowded than #battlemaster. Oh and of course, I'm owner of the channel, which allows me to sometimes slightly change the topic to annoy Lorgan.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 02, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »

Good to know :)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: June 02, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
IRC has been an integral part of my Battlemaster-experience pretty much since I began playing it. I'll admit I won't come over as nice to many people at all times but that really bothers me little. Recently I've also decided to hang out in #thalmarkin, since I heard it was more crowded than #battlemaster. Oh and of course, I'm owner of the channel, which allows me to sometimes slightly change the topic to annoy Lorgan.

So that's the reason you are always there :)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: June 02, 2013, 06:34:02 PM »
So that's the reason you are always there :)

Actually, Miriam, you know how much I love Brazilians...
Ardet nec consumitur.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 03, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »
lol

You have been too nice Fleugs.
I wonder what does that mean :)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: June 03, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »
Today we had 38 nicknames logged at IRC, main channel.
I don't remember so many in a normal day. Last time we had a full channel was when Tom was there before the huge changes IC.
I think is a good thing, to have more people there and some new players seems to like it too.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: June 04, 2013, 12:07:06 AM »
It's my charisma attracting everyone. And the slow unnoticeable expansion of the supreme Belgian clan.
Ardet nec consumitur.