Author Topic: Petition for the return of the War Islands.  (Read 12457 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Opening a new island will not attract new players. How will it?

The only thing that will attract new players is advertising to make more people aware of the game. Once they get here, war islands may help keep them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I agree. The same about close islands... none will solve the problem. However, once we have more players, the war island can keep them, as you said.

Also, I believe it will please and keep a lot of people already playing the game.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Tom,

Opening a War Island may or not "bring" new players to the game. It all depends on the marketing.

I am not certain, mainly because I was not here then, but from what I've heard from other players having this war island may actually retain 200 new players that would otherwise log on for a couple of weeks, not get hooked because of the lack of battles and quit.
Forbes Family

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Tom,

Opening a War Island may or not "bring" new players to the game. It all depends on the marketing.

I am not certain, mainly because I was not here then, but from what I've heard from other players having this war island may actually retain 200 new players that would otherwise log on for a couple of weeks, not get hooked because of the lack of battles and quit.
And here is another example of 88% of statistics being made up on the spot. (Not saying that it won't help with retention)  :P
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

egamma

The BW:WI (the War Island minigame) forums haven't seen a post in months (other than one that was put there by mistake). Are we sure that adding back SEI/SWI is really going to make a big difference?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Just because a map was shared between them, doesn't mean BM and War Islands have much in common gameplay-wise.

egamma

Just because a map was shared between them, doesn't mean BM and War Islands have much in common gameplay-wise.

I know; I've played on both. But since the War Island mini-game isn't popular, I'm not sure that the original SEI/SWI will be the boon that people are making it out to be.

I think that the problem with the game is the players, myself included. When I started playing, I was 23 and had no kids. Now, I'm 29 and have 2 kids. I simply don't have the time to write big roleplays or scheme or politic or whatever; I even have an empty character slot because I'm barely able to play 3 characters, let alone 4. The character base has aged, and has more things to do.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
I really don't see the point you're making between the mini-game's unpopularity versus the regular BM game's potential popularity (not saying it will or won't be popular, just saying I don't see your connection). But I do think you may have a point about the aging playerbase. When many of us joined, we enjoyed being silly (badgers, squirrels, and various other nonsense), but we aged and enjoyed the realistic game. I think that there should be a 'silly' island culture and an 'SMA' island culture so as to appeal to both these player types.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Really? I'm quite sure the same people who disliked that stupidity then still disapprove of it. The aging player base comment is true, but because many of the old diehard players simply can't dedicate enough time to the game. Time to recruit newer, younger people, in the student demographic that BM enjoyed 5 odd years ago.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:16:49 AM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

egamma

Agreed--I think we've perhaps cracked down on the "silly" a little too much. Perhaps a designated island of silliness would help bring in younger players?

Really? I'm quite sure the same people who disliked that stupidity then still disapprove of it.

Some people grow old, some are born old. I definitely enjoyed Makar with the drinking and goats and Sordnaz's mom jokes, back in the day--but I don't play there anymore.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Some are born old, some achieve oldness, and some have oldness thrust upon them.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Petition for the return of the War Islands.
« Reply #26: August 12, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
War island was the biggest reason I donated ages ago!

I would again donate if I could play on war islands. War is fun!

I am willing to donate my spare time too to the war islands if needed. Test some stuff. Code some stuff. You name it!

Thehatter

« Reply #27: August 20, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »
Sign me up for the War Island Rebellion.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 20, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »
Agreed--I think we've perhaps cracked down on the "silly" a little too much. Perhaps a designated island of silliness would help bring in younger players?

So long as it's out of Dwilight, I think all continents should have at least one silly realm. A realm of funny hats, strange custom, and absurd region descriptions. Too much uniformity in realms these days.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

T Strike

• Noble Lord
  • What happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 25, 2013, 11:59:57 PM »
Bring them back.

That is all.
Westmoor: Cross... Coria: Yenom... Caelum: Gawain... Astrum: Ekirt