Author Topic: Petition for the return of the War Islands.  (Read 12456 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Petition for the return of the War Islands.
« Reply #30: August 30, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »
Yes pls and also need to be able to roleplay about getting massively drunk again, but we are all nobles these days, so much for that.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 10, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
Check player stats for when war islands was removed and dwilight added If I recall correctly the playerbase dropped significantly.

As a player whom left the game, I guess I fit the bill of the petition.

oblivian2003

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 15, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »
I would like the war islands to return.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 16, 2014, 03:54:27 AM »
Um yes. I don't want the War Islands to get people so excited that they quit playing the rest of their characters because it can never compare.

Already we see people swarming realms that are at war and leaving in droves from those that are at peace. While this makes sense, it can be a devastating side-effect if not considered.

I'll reply to an old message, since this thread was just revived...

I have not seen war increase noble count. Maybe back in the days, but not so much noaways. D'Hara has a considerable noble growth for a while. Then we had war. We expected that more actual would mean higher retention and recruitment, but no. Our nobility count shrunk. And I've seen this happen elsewhere, too. Enweil was at war, it is basically empty now. Are you going to say because it's so hopeless? Riombara crushed it like a bug, sure aren't hopeless, and they lost a bunch of nobles too. Farronite Republic was at war for quite a while, and that didn't seem to prevent bringing it down.

More and more realms are shrinking despite being at war. The old adage that war makes things lively and increases fun, retention, and player count is just no longer true, if it ever was. If anything, war is when interactions decrease and when we leave things more to game mechanics.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 16, 2014, 04:51:59 AM »
War helps. But just being at war isn't the only thing that does it. You have to have an exciting, dynamic, active realm. You have to talk, and actively engage people. That's what really attracts and retains players.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 16, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
War helps. But just being at war isn't the only thing that does it. You have to have an exciting, dynamic, active realm. You have to talk, and actively engage people. That's what really attracts and retains players.

My experience is that war does not contribute to having a dynamic, active realm. Quite the opposite. A lot of talk is often steam rolled by war measures and justified by the urgency that war creates. In all of the realms I've played in, once wars started, I'd see this kind of thing going, and not only by rulers on a power trip, but by all ranks of nobility.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 16, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
My experience is that war does not contribute to having a dynamic, active realm. Quite the opposite. A lot of talk is often steam rolled by war measures and justified by the urgency that war creates. In all of the realms I've played in, once wars started, I'd see this kind of thing going, and not only by rulers on a power trip, but by all ranks of nobility.
Hmm... my experience is usually the opposite. Realms at war have more messages, more discussion, more participation. Yes, it is almost all war-related. But the game centers around warfare, so I hardly think that's a negative.

Now, trying to cause trouble is often stamped on harshly during war times. I can agree on that. But simply talking, RPing, or discussing the war and the related strategy? I haven't run across that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 16, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »
Hmm... my experience is usually the opposite. Realms at war have more messages, more discussion, more participation. Yes, it is almost all war-related. But the game centers around warfare, so I hardly think that's a negative.

Now, trying to cause trouble is often stamped on harshly during war times. I can agree on that. But simply talking, RPing, or discussing the war and the related strategy? I haven't run across that.

Well, orders and scout reports have about 0 interaction value in my book.

And I wasn't talking of explicit trouble making, but rather a number of issues that can often create dissent if properly discussed: government appointments, lordship allocations, food and wealth distribution, religion, general politics and diplomacy, and so on. Most of these are often hastily handled because there is "no time" or there are "greater priorities", skipping conflictual scenarios completely.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 16, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
If your realm is at war and the only thing said are orders and scout reports, then it doesn't surprise me you lose nobles.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 16, 2014, 10:16:53 PM »
If your realm is at war and the only thing said are orders and scout reports, then it doesn't surprise me you lose nobles.

Indeed, but my point was that war reduces the ammount of non-order/reports that are sent, in at least a significant number of cases, making it thus debatable that war truly has a net positive impact, at least not in all cases.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 16, 2014, 10:18:53 PM »
Indeed, but my point was that war reduces the ammount of non-order/reports that are sent, in at least a significant number of cases, making it thus debatable that war truly has a net positive impact, at least not in all cases.

I have generally not seen this to be the case.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 17, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »

If that's the case, you're doing war wrong. Lyonesse was fairly quiet for quite some time until the war with Darka broke out, and its more active than ever as a result, and the amount of non orders/scout reports crushes the number of orders/scout reports sent/received in the realm.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #42: January 17, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »
I would like to request the closure of this thread.