Author Topic: Two Questions About Adventurers  (Read 7267 times)

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
Two Questions About Adventurers
« Topic Start: August 31, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
I haven't played an Adventurer too seriously for several years, and find myself forgetting some of the qualities of the class as well as wondering about things I never knew before.

The two major curiosities of mine at the moment are as follows:

1) Does the tent or the bedroll provide better fatigue reduction when used?  It seems to be random for me, I'd say the bed roll averages about 1.6-1.8 fatigue per hour where as the tent seems to be a little bit more random.  Perhaps it is region specific?  I would much rather be in a tent on a cold mountain than a bedroll, to be honest :)

2) If one were to raise an adventurer all the way to the point where he or she could become a noble, would it be possible (or do game mechanics prevent it from happening) for this character to be raised to noble status if you already have your noble/character limit on an island?

That's it for now.  I do appreciate the help :)
Varwulf (Vix Tiramora), Rhyndaria (Caergoth), Ikosia (Caergoth), Kunoreyvn (Sandalak), Kimiakiaruni (Sandalak), Balkrom (Nothoi), Sythia (Arcaea), Eviera (Morek Empire)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Two Questions About Adventurers
« Reply #1: August 31, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »
2) If one were to raise an adventurer all the way to the point where he or she could become a noble, would it be possible (or do game mechanics prevent it from happening) for this character to be raised to noble status if you already have your noble/character limit on an island?

No. There is no way to circumvent the noble limit or character limit, either for your account or on an island.

(I can't answer the other offhand, sorry :) )
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 31, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »
No. There is no way to circumvent the noble limit or character limit, either for your account or on an island.

(I can't answer the other offhand, sorry :) )

Looks like I have myself a permy-advy then xD  Not that I mind!  It does raise an interesting scenario in pre-emptiveness, however.  Should my noble die or otherwise leave the island, I would be able to immediately pop up a noble on that continent with high swordfighting skills and prestige, which is kind of nice.  Thanks for the reply :)
Varwulf (Vix Tiramora), Rhyndaria (Caergoth), Ikosia (Caergoth), Kunoreyvn (Sandalak), Kimiakiaruni (Sandalak), Balkrom (Nothoi), Sythia (Arcaea), Eviera (Morek Empire)

Eirikr

« Reply #3: August 31, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »
Is it a "tent" or an "old tent" you're using? (The game lists both as "tent" on the resting page, and I believe it uses the better of the two.)

I still don't have an answer for you, even with that info (though it might actually be on the wiki), but it could explain the difference maybe.

Varwulf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 31, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
Is it a "tent" or an "old tent" you're using? (The game lists both as "tent" on the resting page, and I believe it uses the better of the two.)

I still don't have an answer for you, even with that info (though it might actually be on the wiki), but it could explain the difference maybe.

Wow, I didn't even realize there were multiple kinds of tents!  My advy currently has two "small tents" on him.  I didn't sell the other because I am not sure if there is a way to lose items in the game (other than consumables, that is).  It's always good to have a spare weighing him down :)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 31, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
The tent is better overall afaik, but the tent cannot be used in cities. Only the bedroll can.

The best way to find anything is to search "adventurer" in the wiki.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Adventurer_Theories
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:18:51 PM by Bael »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 31, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »
I believe that rsting for longer periods of time gets you a better "per hour" rate as well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 04, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »

1) Does the tent or the bedroll provide better fatigue reduction when used?  It seems to be random for me, I'd say the bed roll averages about 1.6-1.8 fatigue per hour where as the tent seems to be a little bit more random.  Perhaps it is region specific?  I would much rather be in a tent on a cold mountain than a bedroll, to be honest :)

From the wiki:
There is some variability in resting. The same amount of hours rested will not always produce the same reduction in fatigue.
 Longer rest periods recover more fatigue per hour rested.
You can't sleep for less than three hours. Only the basic "rest" option and "bath & massage" can be used for 1 or 2 hours.
 Resting using the "rest" option removes one point of fatigue per hour. Hours gained in excess of 16 are used resting this way.
 Resting using the "sleep on your bedroll" option removes ~1.5 points of fatigue per hour + 0.5 and is always rounded up. Requires a bedroll in inventory.
 Resting using the "sleep on the floor" option removes ~1.5 points of fatigue per hour.
 Resting using the "tent" option removes ~2 fatigue per hour minus 1 hour. Requires a tent in your inventory.
 Resting in a primitive hut (most non-city regions) removes ~2 points of fatigue per hour (or 3*hours - 3), and costs 1 silver.
 Resting in a common room removes ~2.5 fatigue per hour, and costs 2 silver.
Resting in a private room removes ~3 fatigue per hour, and costs 5 silver.
Resting using the "bath and massage" option removes ~5 fatigue per hour, and costs 10 silver, but cannot be used more then 3 hours at a time.

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 18, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »
Can adventures find dropped unique items or can only nobles do that by foraging the battle field? I've done a lot of gathering but never found an item that way.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 18, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
There are a number of ways adventurers can find lost unique items. If you're lucky enough, you can even find them just by arriving in the region where they were dropped.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 18, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Well lets assume i'm not luck which is usually the case. Will Gathering find lost items? What other optics are there? I know alphas can give them to you but if I recall correctly every alpha that gave me an item was a new item fur the game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 18, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »
I believe you can find them when you just travel into and out of the region. I think this applies to both advies and nobles. I believe that I have seen reports of people finding them when gathering. Judges can steal them from prisoners in their dungeons. You can buy/trade for them from other nobles and advies. There may be other ways to find/get them, but these are the ones I have seen.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 18, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
In my 4 years of playing adventurers (had two killed by undead, and use two of my character slots for adventurers) the only way I have seen items acquired is from alphas, buying, trading, or judges stealing them. If there is an automatic code that lets advys find dropped items when entering/leaving a region this us the first I have heard of it. Granted I never new if I was in a region where that happened until today.

Gathering has never done likewise. It would be nice to know for certain if that is a possibility.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 18, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
Since we're all listing our personal anecdotes on how to bring items back, I've found unique items via many of the aforementioned means, but also by investigating in the region. Actually, probably a little under half of my items have been acquired or refound this way. I've never found a unique item by entering a region or gathering.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 18, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »
I once sold an item to a knight. I think that person then quit or paused. I then found said item again in a region when I was investigating rogues. So the same as what Vita said :)

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2184.0.html

I can't recall ever finding an item by gathering.