Author Topic: Its's ok. They're just elves  (Read 3668 times)

Thehatter

Its's ok. They're just elves
« Topic Start: September 03, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Question about the elves in Sirion. What is the rule involving the elves, can you make new characters and NPC's of them as long as long as they are in Sirion?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Its's ok. They're just elves
« Reply #1: September 03, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
Question about the elves in Sirion. What is the rule involving the elves, can you make new characters and NPC's of them as long as long as they are in Sirion?
AFAIK Characters made in Sirion can still be elves, but if the character leaves Sirion it stops being an elf.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: September 03, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
As long as you stay in the quarantine zone, you can be an elf. As soon as you leave the zone however, you are a human.

The best way to play I think is being ambiguous. Don't call yourself an elf but don't deny it either.  ;)

When people outside of Sirion ask, just say you play a human noble. Say the exact opposite for people who play in Sirion ;)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 03, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
I've heard a couple of versions of the rule. The first one is that given in the two posts above this one. The second version is that only the characters that were created in Sirion before the Humans Only rule was introduced can be played as elves, meaning the grandfathered in clause only applies to a very small number of old characters.

No idea which version is the correct one.

egamma

« Reply #4: September 03, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
I've heard a couple of versions of the rule. The first one is that given in the two posts above this one. The second version is that only the characters that were created in Sirion before the Humans Only rule was introduced can be played as elves, meaning the grandfathered in clause only applies to a very small number of old characters.

No idea which version is the correct one.

I did a count about a year ago, and it turned out there were maybe 3 elves left, tops.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: September 03, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »
Tom generally doesn't touch the subject as long as people stay in Sirion.

No need to piss off people over such a trivial matter I guess.

Do what you want as long as you stay in Sirion. Just look at Erik Serpentis. No one can tell him not to play as an elf lol.

Thehatter

« Reply #6: September 04, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »
I see, then this will make it hard for my character to capture and elf for a pet and take it home with him because he is not in sirion. Here I was thinking that I can be the first to make an elven pet store.

Eirikr

« Reply #7: September 04, 2013, 01:19:54 AM »
I see, then this will make it hard for my character to capture and elf for a pet and take it home with him because he is not in sirion. Here I was thinking that I can be the first to make an elven pet store.

Or you can resolve it by capturing one and finding a human in your cart on your way back (or at your destination). Perfect setup for either going back or feeling hoodwinked.

;)

Thehatter

« Reply #8: September 04, 2013, 01:35:42 AM »
Is there an RP theme explaining this phenonom?

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 04, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »
hmmm, maybe you can explain it with their diet.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 04, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »
Everyone knows elves are cannibals. ::)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Thehatter

« Reply #11: September 04, 2013, 04:14:57 AM »
So what if someone makes some mystical neckwear, would that RP alow me to bring one out of the elf zone?"twilight zone music plays" now to find someone with a scroll. Also how do you squire scrolls and there price?

Jaden

• Noble Lord
  • Jameel, Jabari, Jadyn, Jerold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 04, 2013, 04:27:27 AM »
"All characters are humans in BattleMaster, which is strictly a low-fantasy game. There are some monsters, undead and legends about fairies, trolls and other creatures, but your character is a human."

looking at the FAQ, the Human rule applies to player characters. NPC elves would be alright, i guess? Or we can all just assume that Gaston is delusional.
PM me for the Dota 2 guild.
"Darka would like to thank CE and co for their generous offerings, the Holy Volcano will be filled up for days with all these offerings!"-Jaret Jaron's last words

egamma

« Reply #13: September 04, 2013, 04:36:23 AM »
Why don't you read this:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Elves

The race of elves live only in the northern part of the East Continent in a realm called Sirion

The only elves that exist in BattleMaster are those that were grandfathered in before the Human-Only rule. A character created anywhere but Sirion - or created in Sirion but no longer residing there - is not exempt from this rule.

Eirikr

« Reply #14: September 04, 2013, 07:34:45 AM »
The only elves that exist in BattleMaster are those that were grandfathered in before the Human-Only rule. A character created anywhere but Sirion - or created in Sirion but no longer residing there - is not exempt from this rule.

There's still technically a loophole there (see emphasis). It dances around the case where a character was created in and stays in Sirion. This is curious because the first sentence explicitly notes that all existing elves were grandfathered in before that rule, while the second notes cases that are not exempt. So, is it implied that a character created in Sirion and still residing there is exempt from this rule? (And, as a consequence, any elf that leaves becomes human, even if it returns to Sirion again.)

I think there might be a more easily understood way of wording that rule.