Author Topic: Rebalance Feedback  (Read 28879 times)

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Rebalance Feedback
« Reply #75: January 16, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »
I have always seen badland regions as garbage regions but they do hold strategic value so as Duke I was willing to support the Lords with financial aid. I would never want to see a knight holding oath to one of these lords though.
Forbes Family

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: January 16, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »
So what was the net result in terms of raw food and gold output for Dwilight? I just can't see any difference on the stats page...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: January 16, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
Well it would have been nice if after the rebalance they set all weather region to "good" so it would be easier to tell the difference.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: March 14, 2014, 11:05:50 PM »
huh so we were right.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: March 15, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »
I have always seen badland regions as garbage regions but they do hold strategic value so as Duke I was willing to support the Lords with financial aid. I would never want to see a knight holding oath to one of these lords though.

Actually, they sound like good regions to give to dukes, since they'll tax all of the other lords of their duchies anyways.

huh so we were right.

Indeed. Will we get to roast more monsters?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: March 16, 2014, 04:48:38 AM »
Actually, they sound like good regions to give to dukes, since they'll tax all of the other lords of their duchy anyways.
Because the greedy duke is so going to settle for a badlands. Every duke I know of has a region, and it is always of a city, stronghold, or townsland.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: March 16, 2014, 05:08:05 AM »
Because the greedy duke is so going to settle for a badlands. Every duke I know of has a region, and it is always of a city, stronghold, or townsland.

I've always wondered about this. Maybe it is far more fun to get all the gold and have to divy it up for every knight in the realm.

Some of the badlands have far better names to be lord of than the cities to me, so I'd prefer to let the mechanics distribute the gold.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: March 16, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »

Give me a big enough duchy to tax, and I'll take the desert, I don't mind. ;)

Paisland is of greater emotinal value to Machiavel than it is of fianancial value. He was the first to build that region from the ground up, and did so a few times, and it always served him as a great region when he wasn't lord of Paisly itself.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: March 16, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
I've actually given up my city and assigned myself a mediocre rural, not to spread around the gold more equally but to create another rich and powerful bastard in my realm.

But speaking a few months later, I admit that it really stings to see a lord earn more than you, his duke... That's why I decided to add another mediocre rural to my personal domain a little while ago when no lord candidate presented himself. It didn't quite help the stingy feeling or my finances but on the plus side, I feel pretty cool ruling directly over two regions.  8)

And it's a good precedent. *whistles*

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: March 16, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
I've actually given up my city and assigned myself a mediocre rural, not to spread around the gold more equally but to create another rich and powerful bastard in my realm.

But speaking a few months later, I admit that it really stings to see a lord earn more than you, his duke... That's why I decided to add another mediocre rural to my personal domain a little while ago when no lord candidate presented himself. It didn't quite help the stingy feeling or my finances but on the plus side, I feel pretty cool ruling directly over two regions.  8)

Run higher ducal taxes!

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: March 16, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »

Hmm, I didn't know you could control more than  one?

Eirikr

« Reply #86: March 16, 2014, 09:15:11 PM »
I think dukes also tend to have cities, etc. because that used to be a requirement and most duchies are still from before that change was made. New dukes, admittedly, aren't keen on embracing that change.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: March 16, 2014, 09:30:33 PM »
And there's no reason they have to. The change was to make it possible, not mandatory.

It can, however, be smart. I know of at least a few savvy Dukes who have won themselves lifelong supporters by appointing someone else as the Margrave of a city within their duchy...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: March 17, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »
I think dukes also tend to have cities, etc. because that used to be a requirement and most duchies are still from before that change was made. New dukes, admittedly, aren't keen on embracing that change.

Sure, it's no longer hard-coded that duke=city lord, but lords of cities and townslands are STILL the only candidates to be promoted to become dukes. Dukes also have the power to appoint themselves to their duchy's best region whenever it opens up. Hardly surprising that most dukes are city lords.

And there's no reason they have to. The change was to make it possible, not mandatory.

It can, however, be smart. I know of at least a few savvy Dukes who have won themselves lifelong supporters by appointing someone else as the Margrave of a city within their duchy...

Machiavel was lord of Paisly for large periods of time, but he also wasn't for significant periods of time as well, letting another hold the seat instead. Not sure how common this sort of thing is, but I'm pretty sure it does happen here and there.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #89: March 17, 2014, 01:21:37 AM »
Sure, it's no longer hard-coded that duke=city lord, but lords of cities and townslands are STILL the only candidates to be promoted to become dukes. Dukes also have the power to appoint themselves to their duchy's best region whenever it opens up. Hardly surprising that most dukes are city lords.

I believe that this is false. If you are a lord of a rural/woodsland/mountain/badlands region, I'm pretty sure you can still be made duke.