Author Topic: The Realm as a Team  (Read 20223 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: The Realm as a Team
« Reply #15: May 13, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »
If I were to implement something like this, there would be a sliding scale of "reward" (which might just be a notification of how impressive an achievement is that you have, um, achieved) based on how far away from a given goal the game judges you to be when you set it.  So if you set as a goal to control 15 regions, and you control 14, it wouldn't get you much.  But if you only control 10, it would acknowledge that as being a far more ambitious goal.

Bearing in mind, of course, that this is all just vague top-of-my-head brainstorming about how such a feature might work, in theory.

That is how I imagined it as well. Small goals get small rewards. Big goals get big rewards. So if your goal is to double your realm size, achieving it might, say, give a "small investment" (say, 50 gold) in every region. Or maybe give the ruler/general/banker/judge/whoever set the goal a fame point. Or maybe give H/P to everyone in the realm. Or maybe add a description to the realm's brief description for realm-selection for new characters" Glorious, poor, effective at accomplishing goals, etc..." Or maybe improve realm control/loyalty/morale.

Who knows?

But, again, mechanics based goals:
1. Are not essential to the idea. I think we are all agreed that even freeform goals would help.
2. Could be added later. Once a "goals" field exists, we could later brainstorm about what a set of mechanical goals could look like and what reasonable rewards could be, or if even such a thing is possible.

I'll let this proposal sit for a few more days, and then write a feature request.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner