Author Topic: Political power score  (Read 14933 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Political power score
« Reply #45: May 04, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »
I originally thought of this feature as an addition to the honour/prestige indices. It's not that I think it would be a silver bullet for all of BM's problems, but I think it would be more relevant than H/P currently are. I also proposed changes to H/P: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,5655.0.html

I also think that it could possibly motivate some lords and dukes to try harder to attract knights to their regions, since doing so would boost their score. Again, it's not a silver bullet, which is why I also proposed some other FR's to hopefully go along with it, and I have a few more ideas that I haven't written down yet.
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,5599.0.html
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,5655.0.html

A lot of people have been attacking the devs for coming up with the glacier experiment to address the low noble density and poor player retention problem, but I'm not seeing a lot of alternatives being put forward. Frankly I think it's easy to attack an idea (and I've criticized the glacier thing) but criticizing without proposing a better idea is just criticizing.
I like your H/P idea, I don't your island stuff. But that has no bearing on this feature request. I see no need for it, thus I see no need for an alternative. The alternative is play the game and figure out for yourself what their political power is.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Political power score
« Reply #46: May 05, 2014, 02:39:10 AM »
I like your H/P idea, I don't your island stuff. But that has no bearing on this feature request. I see no need for it, thus I see no need for an alternative. The alternative is play the game and figure out for yourself what their political power is.
The island thing is what I think should have been tried before the the nuclear option aka the glacier experiment. The problem they were addressing was that the nobles:realm rate was too low, it was too easy for every knight to become a lord, and the player base was dropping by about 20/month. The theory behind the glacier was oversimplistic: reduce the number of regions to force the density rate up on the surviving ones. I thought that was both heavy-handed and misguided, and I suggested several soft-hand approaches to try first before going nuclear. In the end they did take one of my suggestions, which was freezing specific regions instead of the original plan of one who whole island.

The "no man is an island" FR was a way to encourage density, but not force it. If a realm is thinking of taking over a region, they need to weigh the pros and cons of taking nobles out of their current regions to go and manage the new one.