Author Topic: Change default settings for dynamic map  (Read 2409 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Change default settings for dynamic map
« Topic Start: May 16, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
Title: Change default settings for dynamic map

Summary: The "new" dynamic map, where you can click and drag the map with the mouse, has the Regions layer on by default. This layer draws the region boundaries on the map. This is pointless, as the default background map already has the borders on them. It also does not show the realm flags in the regions or the realm fills, so you can't see what regions belong to what realms.

Details: When the dynamic map loads, there is a small blue control panel letting you select the visible layers. I suggest that the new default be: Flags On, all others off. This will closely replicate the behavior of the original dynamic map.

Alternatively: store the defaults as a player-configurable option, allowing players to choose how they want to see the map.

Benefits: A map that can be used without an additional two or three mouse clicks every time you load it.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: No possible exploits. No downsides that I can see, so long as the default background map still includes the realm borders. If that changes, the default layers will need to be adjusted to account for this.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Change default settings for dynamic map
« Reply #1: May 16, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
Yeah, I think this is a good idea. I think I might even want to look at some other stuff related to the dynamic map between finishing up the parts of the WIP needed for the WI (and some other near-term stuff that needs doing) and going on to the rest of the WIP.

I'd definitely like to see the dynamic map be less of a pain.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 17, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
Add the sea zones on by default. At least for the travel page...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 22, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
Details: When the dynamic map loads, there is a small blue control panel letting you select the visible layers. I suggest that the new default be: Flags On, all others off. This will closely replicate the behavior of the original dynamic map.

Please please do this. I very much dislike that the 'realms' selection is so high above the 'flag' selection and when you select realms I think the colours look horrible and makes it much more difficult to see what is going on. I like the scrolling and panning but I never use anything except flags. Well, mostly I just use the old political map. I also agree with Indirik that taking off the 'regions' overlay makes it look a lot better as well. That bright red is too garish.

Also, when you click on a region and the info box pops up, how do you get rid of it again? Can you put a little cross in the top right corner or something?

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: May 22, 2014, 10:41:14 PM »
Also, can something be done about disabling that region info box? I absolutely hate the fact whenever I misclick somewhere, it brings up the info box that never goes away unless I click outside of the map.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 22, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
Also, when you click on a region and the info box pops up, how do you get rid of it again? Can you put a little cross in the top right corner or something?
Click on the black area outside the map.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Deytheur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 23, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
Click on the black area outside the map.