Author Topic: in game misogyny?  (Read 22272 times)

Jens Namtrah

Re: in game misogyny?
« Reply #15: May 30, 2014, 02:47:25 AM »
Here's the problem with playing a misogynist character: Women already have to deal with a disgusting amount of misogyny on the Internet, especially women gamers. They don't need yet another place online that reminds them of that. No matter how much backstory you layer on, from the outside your character is indistinguishable from any number of misogynist trolls out there who aren't pretending. And I'll bet any amount of money that a new female player doesn't go seek out your backstory to determine if your misogyny is IC, not when it's so much easier to just quit.

I usually agree with the people saying "let the players work it out IC" but please be practical here. It's not a good look for you. It's not a good look for BattleMaster. The things your character says are identical to the abuse directed at women every day in public forums. IC or not, it's just unpleasant to read. Nobody wants to go back to the drawing board but this is not a hill worth dying on.

This.

In short, if I were the Ruler of that realm I would tell him to stop, and give him an OOC ban if he didn't. I would encourage all players in an OOC manner to put him on ignore and not interact with him. Let the Titans do what they want to me if they disagree.

As I said before, there are 50,000 different role plays you could do to the same effect, but without risk of real-life offense to people in the game. You've been told this isn't cool by many people here, so show some consideration.