Author Topic: The War  (Read 107357 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: The War
« Reply #165: December 15, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
In my view, there was only one true Great War, the war that ravaged (roughly) between Sirion/Fontan and Perdan/Oligarch/Avamar. The war waged for years (it was going a year or two before I joined in 2005, I think, and went until...2007? the end of 2006?). While there were some core realms that were consistent (Perdan and Sirion), other reams switched sides, rebellions were fought over who the realm would fight and not fight, civil wars/secessions raged over the same. South EC of Yssaria, Ibladesh, and Itorunt had different interests than those up north, but the war consumed them as part of the epic contest. The war affected every corner of EC and EC was defined by the war; EC was known as the best continent to jump into a war. It was thought it would never end. And then it did, EC got stuck in eternal peace, and Tom had to threaten to lightning bolt all the rulers to get the island moving again.

But I've noticed a tendency amongst BM players of labelling almost every war since then, and even during then on other continents, as 'the Great War'. I have long found it quite uncreative, but I've also come to realize that doing such is a simple way of glorifying one's own BM achievements by calling one's war great. My contention is not that there have not been wars that have been great, epic, or fun, but that if we call every war the Great War, all the wars lose their 'greatness', ie, 'so its as great as the other dozen great wars?', losing the meaning of being truly great.

And there's my schpeal on Great Wars apparently.